PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Motor/bike rental in bangkok
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    rolf poelman Guest
    Licenses are not asked for outside Bangkok but are they needed in Bangkok?
    Can bicycles be rented in Bangkok and for how much?
    What times and areas of Bangkok are the best for brave and experienced falang motor/bike riders?

In and around Bangkok the police are more strict with motorbikes. There are checkpoints everywhere just for motorbikes. A Thai friend of mine has been stopped and fined 6 times this year for everything from not wearing a helmet to having a broken mirror. For sure don't ride without a license as you are just giving them an excuse to take you to the police station. Anywhere, it is a crazy idea to ride a bike in Bangkok. About 80% of road deaths last year were motorcyclists.

Thanks

with love Re: Motor/bike rental in bangkok

The law is vague concerning tourists and motorbike licences. No one will stop you hiring one without a bike licence, or even bother to ask if you have one, and the police may or may not care if you have one. Often a car driving licence is enough.Insurance is often non-existent or of minimal value. In fact, there is no such thing as first-class insurance on motorbikes in Thailand, no matter what the rental shop may tell you. However, by law, they must have third-party insurance. This however, is very basic and doesn't cover theft.

san diego, los angeles, and san jose, california
    Thanks

Re: Motor/bike rental in bangkok

i love riding motorcycles in the comfort and boundaries of the united states, but i doubt i would ever ride a motorcycle or even a bicycle on the mean streets of bangkok! traffic and motorcyclist mortality rate of bangkok is just too crazy and hectic that i wouldn't risk it. put me out in the country side somewhere, sure, i'll hop on a motorcycle!

Thanks

Indeed

Eventhough I haven't been in Thailand ever since, I've read a book, that states driving a motorcycle at the Bangkok main roads leads you to your own death.

Some drivers are reckless and do not care how they drive, I know not all of them, but we cannot tell when is the next accident/s will happen.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,175 Posts

I am a Bangkok rider.
    I hate to drive here.
    I don't own a car.

Motorcycles are inherently dangerous.

IMHO, riding in the States is more dangerous than riding in Bangkok. In Bangkok, speeds are typically slower and bikes are an expected mix in the traffic. In the States bikes are invisible!

Most of the motorcycle accidents I have witnessed have been a direct result of the rider's stupidity. Many Thais, if wearing enough amulets, or the right tattoos, truly believe they are invincible!

Most of the motorcycle fatalities are due to the Thais refusal to wear helmets or the lousy helmets they do wear. http://www.indexhelmet.com/Helmet_Mo...NET/index.html

That said, I wouldn't advise anyone unfamiliar with Bangkok to ride. Many accidents occur due to hesitation and/or indecision. Riding in Bangkok is definitely a case of lead, follow or get out of the way!

There are also the aforementioned fishing expeditions. Few cops realize that many foreign licenses require a motorcycle endorsement, but they can usually find many other reasons to write you up.

And, God forbid they are actually writing citations (often happens until they reach their quota). This will mean that they will take you license or ID, make you go to the local police station, where you pay the fine, then return for your license. Some will bring your ID to the station, but not always. Just one more reason one needs to know the city!

For a cheap thrill, and a taste of Bangkok (literally), simply flag down a moto-taxi.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Many Thais, if wearing enough amulets, or the right tattoos, truly believe they are invincible!
    I see, that people in Thailand still believes in lucky charms, such that they won't be harmed with bullets, etc.
    In my country they are called "Anting Anting", they are worn like amulets.

But somehow motorcyle riders doesn't know when accidents happen.

Most of the motorcycle fatalities are due to the Thais refusal to wear helmets or the lousy helmets they do wear.
    Does the gov't in Thailand doesn't have a law that states, every motorcylce riders must wear helmets? Not only helmets but at least a complete or semi complete gears that protects the driver.

In my country If you are caught not wearing helmets, they'll confiscate your license, as well as pay some fees. Philippines has a very strict law in traffic ordinance.

Thanks

[QUOTE=Curt;167604]I am a Bangkok rider.
    I hate to drive here.
    I don't own a car.

Motorcycles are inherently dangerous.

Most of the motorcycle accidents I have witnessed have been a direct result of the rider's stupidity. Many Thais, if wearing enough amulets, or the right tattoos, truly believe they are invincible!

I am a Bangkok driver
    I enjoy driving here.
    I own a car.

I've covered nearly 300K kilometers to all corners of the Kingdom in the two cars that I have owned over the last 13 years or so. I couldn't imagine life without a car. Driving in Bangkok is not as difficult as it looks. The secret of it is to keep a cool personality, drive defensively, know your way around the city and to know where you can park.

I do draw the line at driving at night in the provinces though. It's downright dangerous, what with drunks riding motorbikes with no lights on the wrong side of the road. Crazy suicidal overtaking by all sizes of vehicles who simply flash their headlights at you as they hurtle towards you in your lane.

The last statistics that I read said that on average 12 motorbike riders are killed in Bangkok and surrounds (Parimonthon) every day. and I agree that most of these are caused by liquor, sheer carelessness and rank stupidity. Motor riders leave no margin for error and I doubt if there would be one in the Kingdom that goes even close to obeying the road rules.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,175 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vismitananda View Post
    I

Does the gov't in Thailand doesn't have a law that states, every motorcylce riders must wear helmets? Not only helmets but at least a complete or semi complete gears that protects the driver.

In my country If you are caught not wearing helmets, they'll confiscate your license, as well as pay some fees. Philippines has a very strict law in traffic ordinance.
    Yes, Buddha magic is a big seller.

Thailand does require "helmets", but doesn't appear to have real standards. The link I provided shows what is probably the most common helmet seen. These are little more than "hard hats' with a strap attached. There is a flimsy plastic quick release buckle for fastening the strap.

Many will buy "better", "proper" helmets from this same manufacturer, but I have little faith that they provide any real protection.

My driving/riding references are Bangkok. If we head out of town, I barrow a family member's car. Outside of Bangkok, driving isn't bad. Inside this city, it's nuts.

Examples:
    We were meeting up with Mom at her office (about 12 Kms). We were both leaving from her house. Mom left. We both showered, separately, then proceeded to the office. Mom finally arrived, about 15 minutes later.

Little sister worked about 3 kilometers from the house. Songtaew could take 30~45 minutes. A car would take between 20~30, on a good day. I could take her, on the bike, in 10~15.

Never had any trouble finding parking.

Thanks

Yes, Buddha magic is a big seller.
    Can you clear to me, what do you mean by this? I'm just kinda confused.

Thanks Curt for clearing some things up.
    Many will buy "better", "proper" helmets from this same manufacturer, but I have little faith that they provide any real protection.

Thailand does require "helmets", but doesn't appear to have real standards. The link I provided shows what is probably the most common helmet seen. These are little more than "hard hats' with a strap attached. There is a flimsy plastic quick release buckle for fastening the strap.
    That is really the main reason why lots of motorcycle riders in Thailand has the biggest account of accidents. You own manufacturer provides you a safety gears that you, doesn't even know if it will save your life.

My driving/riding references are Bangkok. If we head out of town, I barrow a family member's car. Outside of Bangkok, driving isn't bad. Inside this city, it's nuts.
    Does really is very traffic in Bangkok mate?

Thread Information