PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Question about moving to thailand
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

question

Hi, I am a white American novice Buddhist, thinking of moving to Thailand. I've been reading this forum for a while now, and it seems like the most logical career choice would be English teacher. I don't have a teaching degree or anything, would that be a requirement? Are there a lot of the these teaching jobs around, how hard would it be to actually get a job like that? How much money do you think I would need to move to Thailand? I'd like to live in a quieter area, close to the beach if possible.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    I suggest you visit the excellent ajarn.com web site as it has lots of information about teaching in Thailand.

You don't really need a teaching degree but there are courses you can do here for teaching English as a foreign language.

Difficult to say how much. The price you pay for a small condo here in Bangkok will give you a house in Chiang Mai! I think you might need at least 10,000 baht per month for a good condo and the extras. Some condos will be four times that price!

Good luck!
    Support the forum and chat rooms and buy computer software and books for learning Thai at www.BuyThaiBooks.com

Thanks

Gor Gai

speaking of teaching, my sister and i will be going over to thailand to teach english for a year. this is like a mission trip sort of thing. do you think we would need to take extra classes or what?

Vali Guest
    Mission trip? I hope you aren't teaching religion as well. I have a personal opinion against that...

Thanks
    I'm also against the idea of evangilising. I hate having people preach religion to me. But I think the two topics that are most prone to heated debates are religion and politics. So I'll steer away now.... peace

Thanks
    One question,

Not that this has anything with religious implications, I'm just curious to know what kind of mission it is. Living in Korat, I met several Mormon folks on mission. I also had a bit if a...weakness?...to them!

Whenever I would spot one (Seriously, the only Mormons I had seen in my life were from the movie 'Orgazmo' so they were kind of special) I just had to point at them and yell the word, 'Mormons!!' just loud enough that they would hear it. Much face was lost...

Just my two cents

Jonny

Thanks

Gor Gai

we're not mormons. we're christians. we won't be preaching english and religion at the same time. in fact, i wouldn't even call it "preaching religion". we are just going to go over and help this missionary couple who lives in bangkok at the moment. we'll teach part time and help out with the couple the other time. basically, we're just trying to start CCF on some universities campuses.

Thanks

thumbs up

I feel compelled to weigh in on this one, too.

The first thing to brush up on in English would be your use --or non-use-- of capital letters. I'd hope that you're not going to teach the Thai to write as poorly as so many Western youth of today do. They deserve nothing but the best.

Am I correct in guessing that CCF is Christian Children's Fund? According to CCF's website it appears that this organization is designed to help Thai people who are struggling with health and education matters. This sounds honorable.

But I don't know where the Christian part of CCF is though. If your purpose is to proselytize, I'd rather you accept Thailand and her people as predominantly Buddhist, and allow them to continue in their beliefs. Christianity has caused much more division in the world than Buddhism. We can all take a lesson from the teachings of the Lord Buddah.
    Abandon wrongdoing. It can be done.
    Cultivate doing good. It can be done.

Thanks
    First of all, this is a forum where I don't need to worry about my use or lack thereof of capital letters, but for your sake, I will. Second of all, CCF stands for Christian Campus Fellowship, which is totally different from Christian Children's Fund. Also, I do accept Thailand as predominantly Buddhist. My family is Buddhist, but they respect my beliefs. I'm not trying to cause a division by going over to Thailand. However, there are universities in Thailand that has a Christian basis, or am I wrong in saying that?

Vali Guest
    There are private schools and universities that are "Christian" (like St. Johns)

I guess if you're just helping to set up a club it really doesn't do much as long as it is the student's choice to join or not. I don't think there is a need for much more fighting now that we cleared that up.

Thread Information