PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Thai. to english dictionary
    rolf Guest
    Would a thai to english dictionary be very helpful for thais who dont speak good english to communicate their ideas?
    Or would an electronic translator be better?

Does a thai - english dictionary not work in Hill Tribe areas , because the hill tribes use a different type of Thai?

Thanks
    For sure they speak a different language - actually a dozen different languages. Buy the Lonely Planet hilltribe phrasebook!
    Suthee "Phong" Buayam
    Learn Thai through music at www.ethaimusic.com
    Buy Thai music online at www.ethaicd.com

rolf poelman Guest
    Do they also write a different language than what is the thai dictionary?

Obviously you haven't done your homework about trekking in northern thailand. The people living in the mountains are hilltribes - they are not Thai. They come from many different areas in the neighboring countries. So, obviously, they speak and read a different language. Having said that, Thai is also taught in schools.The ones I met could speak some Thai but they couldn't read or write so well.

Take Suthee's advice and buy the hilltribe phrasebook. I have it myself and it is very useful.

arsira Guest
    by reading at the hilltribe book it is hard to learn the pronounce and some hilltribe do not had written script.
    if want to learn a few hilltribe greetings with audio check out
    : http://lisulodge.com/html/mountainpeople.html
    chaiyo

Thread Information