Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thai belief?

Thanks
    Hi all,
    Is there a Thai horoscope?
    Are Thai superstitious?

I heard from my Thai friend that age 25 is an unlucky age. Is there such a belief in Thailand?

Anyone care to share more?

Regards.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (strangerdoom @ April 15 2003,15:21)]Are Thai superstitious?
    Yes, very much so. I find it cute though!

Thanks
    Oh yes they are indeed! That explains the many traditions they have. My thai friends are also especially afraid of ghosts and other super-natural beings....I find that very amusing...hee hee...

Thanks
    Interesting... What other superstitions are there? Anyone cares to share??
    Live your Life to the Fullest.
    The Lonely Boxer.

Wanna

http://funimg.pchome.com.tw/img_uplo...044_104615.gif

Thanks
    Check this out for superstition

Talk about superstitious....

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Don't cut your hair on Wednesdays.

Thanks
    How about 9 being a lucky number, as the word for nine เก้า 'gao' is very close in sound to the word for 'progress' ก้าว 'gao'.

Thanks
    Quote[/b] ]Don't cut your hair on Wednesdays
    LOL, how do you justify that as...unlucky?

Live your Life to the Fullest.
    The Lonely Boxer.

Wanna

http://funimg.pchome.com.tw/img_uplo...044_104615.gif

Thanks
    Quote[/b] ]Don't cut your hair on Wednesdays
    Now that's a new one....

D80 Guest

Oopsie...

There's also some who believe you shouldn't wear new things on Tuesday... or was that Thursday.. I don't remember now..

The hair cutting thing also applies sometimes to days which holy ritual will be performed (like 'kern-bann-mai' or blessing your new home). Some won't even cut their nails. The reason being the word 'cut' is unlucky... like cutting your family ties, cutting your luck etc etc.

I've heard these things from old people, mainly and they differ from region to region in Thailand as well. It is quite fun to learn about them.

Also, if you are going out on an important trip to do some important business, you should step out of the house using your right foot. If you hear a gecko sings when you are going out, then it is a very bad sign and you should not go out... what else, there are so many!!

There are also some more stuff to do with gecko hehehe A Thai elder told me that if I hear a 'Tuk Kae' (a type of gecko) called 9 times in one go then I can make a wish. Somehow, the maximumu amount of time I ever heard them is 8 calls in one go!!! Very frustrating!

Oh, and old people say if you have a female cat that have 3 colour furs then you should keep it because it will bring you luck. Apparently, that was like a sort of a joke in Thai old belief since the gene that give cats 3 colour furs (or tortoiseshell in English if I remember it right) only exist in male cats. Thus there can never be a female cat with that sort of colour pattern! heheh (or was it the other way around.. male cat to keep instead of female and only female ones exist... anyway, you get my point!)

Some of the superstition stuff have reasons behind them though. Like the belief that you should not sweep the floor of your house at night or you will lose your wealth. That comes from the fact that in the past, we do not have electricity and have to depend on candlelights. Obviously, if there are any valubles on the floor, we would not be able to see them and would have swept them out of the house. That's what they mean by 'losing' the wealth.

As for being obsessed with horoscope in general, I find that my female friends in England are not much different (and they are definitiely well educated Brits). Whenever possible, they LOVE horoscope and fortune telling card stuff! Although the level of obsession I have seen among Thai friends are a lot worse. heheheh

I think to be a little bit superstitious is ok. It sort of adds a bit of fun to life and reminds us that there are some things in life we simply cannot control. But too much of it is quite annoying and can be damaging. I have seen couples breaking up and family torn apart from some outrageous level of superstition among some people.

Thread Information