PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
What`s COOKING?....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

What`s COOKING?....

One Korean friend here asked me if my wife is a good cook, and when she will come here to Chicago?...`cause my Korean friend would be frequent guest `cause she just looooves Thai foods/cooking . Un lucky for my friend, my wife is a poor cook, all those days we spent together in Thailand, she did not cook once-we always ate out, in restaurants.And, though I ate what was served to me, I was not "crazy" about any of the Thai dishes. Here`s my "beef", all the beef-in every dish-was underdone, and even though I ordered my steak WELL-DONE, it still came under-done, almost half raw. (maybe in Bkk. restaurants they have different cooking standards) so at times while my wife ate Thai I ate McDonalds burgers & ff.(which are, though well done, a dissapointment sizewise, only 1/2 of regular American hamburgers .But then in Thailand everything seems to be smaller than in U.S...including my Phunlaya So how many people farangs especialy-on this web realy, REALY love Thai cuisine?...any comments?

Thanks

Re: What`s COOKING?....

I think most of us do LOVE Thai food. I certainly do, and get withdrawal symptoms if I go without for very long. However one regular poster here doesn't like Thai food at all, and he is also an expert on steak, so I am sure he will respond to your post. Actually I am surprised that you think the beef in Thai food is under-done, because I have always received the opposite impression. Most Thai beef dishes have the meat cut into quite small pieces which get thoroughly cooked in oil. As far as I am aware, Thai cuisine does not include any "steak" dishes as it is known in the West.
    Ӽ

Thanks

Were you eating Thai food or Farang food when it was underdone.You say your Steak was underdone,well steak isn't a typical Thai dish.
    Thai food is delicious,but some is not so nice so it is a question of trying all and sticking to the ones that you like.

Thanks

Yes, a good point you both made about STEAK. I did not mean to say that steak was Thai dish, I meant to say that steaks I ate in Bkk.`s non-Thai restaurants were underdone, they were half raw, (though I ordered them well-done) I had hard time chewing them, and I could never enjoyed them. But similar thing was with beef in Thai dishes, some perfectly described by NAM, to me the beef in these dishes also tasted uncooked. I did try many different cookings in my last 21 day stay in Thailand, and though I felt "stuffed" after each meal, some how I just did not enjoy it as I would have enjoyed, lets say a hamburger, or some of my own cooking...(I am a good cook, which is fortunate for my wife )....Oh well....maybe I just don`t have the taste buds for Thai foods, because it must be good, if so many others love it...

Thanks

But then in Thailand everything seems to be smaller than in U.S...including my Phunlaya So how many people farangs especialy-on this web realy, REALY love Thai cuisine?...any comments?well i for one love thai food and have been to many cooking classes whilist in thailand and back here in aussie eat thai 5 to 6 times a week

Thanks

Are you sure you had been to the right place for food?, either Thai or western. There are plenty of good western restaurants in BKK. see, for example, these threads: Bangkok Steakhouses, The Great American Rib Company.

What kinds of Thai food you've tried anyway? Because, as Nam Phyyng said, the meat usually sliced or diced and well-cooked in Thai dishes (curry, stir-fry, noodle soup) The exception is in Spicy beef salad (Isaan-style cuisine: Nam-Tok) where the beef would be rare or medium-rare, not well-done.

Is 'beef is under-done' the only reason that make you don't like Thai food you've tried? Have you tried the dish that is not 'beef'? However, if you don't like herbs or spices, don't like rice or noodle, don't like fish sauces or garlic, then I wouldn't be surprised that you don't like most of Thai food. Some people just don't have taste buds for it and I do meet a lot of these people in my time living in England.

Having said that, I did successfully cook for these people and they do enjoy my Thai cooking (I know they weren't just being polite because they came back for more the food has been extremely modified to meet their taste buds: e.g. extra creamy Thai red prawn curry with coconut cream and only half a teaspoon of curry paste you will also find that many Thai restaurants in UK do modified their recipe to suit their customers.

I totally agreed with Mat that not all Thai food will be to everyone taste, I am Thai and there are many Thai dishes that I don't like (I do not like Nam Prik dishes. ) My husband is Mediterranean, he likes most of Thai food especially seafood dishes (Tom Yam Kung, Hoi Tod, Pad Thai, or not so seafood like Chicken wrapped in pine leaf - lists are endless) but he wasn't so keen on Laab and Nam Tok (esp. when they are too (chilli) hot), or food that has sweet taste like khai-look-khuey , or curry that use lots of coconut milk (so he like Tom-Kha-Khai, but not so keen on gaeng-keow-wan-gai.

Actually, IMO it would be interesting to know if there is any Thai dishes that people who usually love Thai food doesn't enjoy as much, we probably need a new tread for that
    TK

Thanks

Well....good on you mate-or lassie Guyza , For loving Thai food so much....Incidentaly what is Australian "national" dish?...or there is none?

Thanks

Well, TK ONBOARD, thank you for your comment. . I definitely did not try ALL Thai dishes, so I am not saying that they are bad, it`s just that I did not realy enjoy those I ate, and at my and Nooche`s wedding, hotel did serve some of the best Thai dishes.Glad your friends enjoy your cooking so much they are coming back for seconds, thirds, 4ths, ...& 6th. . I guess I would have to stay in Bkk. for a few months, or years to aquire taste for Thai foods, or maybe I am too old to learn something new...(Oh by the way, if you have 2 or more responses to your post, how can you comment to first one on top, when there is no "post reply" under each comment, only one at the bottom, for all posts?)

Thanks

Aussies national dish?... a beer and a bbq of course!!! but then i am only living in aussie, not a aussie myself, i'm kiwi

Thanks

TK onboard my wife is a cook in a Thai restaurant in the UK and you are right when you say that some of the dishes are modified to suit British people.
    However as more and more people visit Thailand for a holiday they then come to the restaurant and ask for their dish to be hot and spicy.When asked if they are sure they say yes we love spicy food.My wife will then make the food with more chili and on several occasions they can't eat it as it was too hot!!
    By the way I love Nam Tok it is great as part of a main meal or as a snack to have with Beer Chang when family come to visit.

Thread Information