Thanks

Re: Driving in Thailand

Sawasdee khrab from Germany.

My name is Karsten, I live in Hannover in North Germany.
    End of July I will come to Thailand.
    I will rent a car in Hua Hin and I want to drive to Rayong. But I do not want to drive through the city center of Bangkok.

My Question: Is there a car ferry from Wat Phra Samut Chedi to Samut Prakan?

Please try to send me an answer. i tried to find some information in the internet already. I didn’t find anything.
    Now I am asking in different forums and I hope, you can help me.

Khob khun maak na khrab

Karsten Link xxxxxxxx
    Last edited by Khun Don; 01-07-07 at 06:56 PM. Reason: take out e-mail address

Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,536 Posts

Re: Driving in Thailand

Sorry-but newbies are not allowed to post links-e-mail or otherwise. If anyone has any info I am sure they will post it for you..

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Bridge in Samut Prakan

If you are going to Rayong then there is no need for you to go as far south as Phra Samut Chedi to cross to the other side of the river. Anyway, there is only a passenger ferry there. The first bridge in Samut Prakan, the mega bridge, is a bit further north. However the roads to and from this bridge are not that clear/finished yet.

Unluckily for you, the bridge that you need is the one close to finishing which will complete the bottom half of the outer ring road. Once it is done life will be much easier. From Hua Hin, head north on Highway 4. Then turn right onto Highway 35 passing through Samut Songkram and Samut Sakhon. Once you hit the outer ring road, turn right and cross the Chao Phraya river on the [not yet finished] bridge. Get off the outer ring road once you reach the Bang Na-Trad Highway. Turn right here and go up onto the toll way above. From here, Rayong is just over two hours away. Head to Chonburi, take the bypass around the city, and then head for Pattaya. Before you reach Pattaya, turn off onto Highway 36 which takes you all the way to Rayong. There are roadworks at that section at the moment and it can be confusing. You sort of go the wrong way first and then do a u-turn. Only temporary signs in Thai language so you need to memorize Rayong in Thai script.

OK, I did that for people reading this at the end of 2007. You need to do Highway 4 and then 35 from Hua Hin as before. The easiest thing for you to do is not go onto the outer ring road but go straight across and then cross the river on the King Rama IX bridge. This gets you on the expressway system which keeps you away from central Bangkok. Follow signs for Bang Na. After a while, you will see signs for Chonburi which will take you up onto the upper deck. That upper deck is like 65 kms long and relatively empty. After that, do the instructions as above.

You could cross on the mega bridge, but you will be on local roads. You will need a map for sure until the outer ring road is finished. Then it is very simple.

Thanks

Hello Don and Richard,

thanks for putting my question into the right form of an own thread.
    And thanks a lot for your very detailed answer.
    I really intended to use the southern route by the car ferry to avoid BKK city.
    But - if there's no car ferry anymore - I have to follow your way.

Karsten

Blog Entries
    Thanks

The car ferry is still there under the mega bridge. No harm in going that way if you like. So, turn right onto the outer ring road and go to its present end which takes you onto Suksawat Road. Turn left here. (Phra Samut chedi is to the right.) The turning for the bridge is about 3kms later. You should see a sign that says ""Puchao Saming Phrai". This is the name of the road you want on the other side. When you come down from the bridge, turn right onto this road and go to the end. This is just over 6 kms. Turn left here and pass through Samrong. You need to turn right at the Bang Na Intersection. It is 3.5 kms to the intersection. You will know when you arrive because of the two tiered expressway going across this road. You need to turn right here and go up onto the upper deck. Then the instructions are as before.

Thread Information