Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thai Gold.....

Thanks

Thai Gold.....

(O.k.,..o.k.....I know I`ve been posting a lot lately...and this will be my last post for a while) When my wife & I were shopping for our wedding bands, whether to buy them here in U.S. or in Thailand, she was praising Thai gold/jewelry as better than from other countries, it is purer and higher percentage is gold. Now I told her that measurement of gold percentage in jewelry is universal...14K is 14K everywhere in this world...so is 18K,...but she told me no,...in Thailand they measure gold differently...not by Karats...so now I have a wedding band of Thai white gold, with some stamp on it, which I can not make out what it is, or what it means....So any goldsmiths on this web, who know more about Thai gold?... any tourists to Thailand like to shop for jewelry?...I think the price of jewelry is just about same in Thailand & here in U.S.....

Thanks

Re: Thai Gold.....

A peek at "thai scams" may offer a solution.

Thanks

I noticed that while I was over there when I bought our wedding bands. It took some convincing that it would be smarter to have a gold band that was not pure gold as Thai gold due to its softness. We wound up getting 2 rings that are Thai gold but a mix which have 75% stamped on the inside which I believe translates to about 18 carat. To me it is intestering how they measure it in percentage instead of carats.

Thanks

It's better to buy gold in the states because thailand it's not as pure has the one in the states. Most Asian jewelry store in the states will stamp there gold in 99.99 and most thailand gold are only 96.9. And if you take gold from the states and sell it to the jeweler in thailand they will give you more money than thailand gold.

Thanks

On my wedding band it also says 750, so I figured it is 3/4 pure gold, or 18K, but this is how silver content is measured in other countries...pure silver 1000 or sterling silver. ( maybe Thais mixed up their gold & silver ) I also took 2 of my 14K rings from Chicago and tried to sell to the jeweler where we bought our wedding bands, but my wife got so wrapped up in our wedding bands, she did not have time to translate for me to the jeweler, about my U.S. rings,...so I never had chance to sell them there.

Thanks

In Asia, the best gold beside pure gold is the 916 gold, so-called because of its percentage ; 91.6% or 22k (Singapore's gold)

it is easier to convert to cash than 14k or 18k because of its heavier gold contents.Pawnshops in Asia won't accept anything lower in its gold contents than that unless they are very, very cheap compare to the price that you paid.

Thanks

You would not have got much for US gold here, They don't like it and it is not as pure as local gold.
    The purity also varys from shop to shop, you will see that when they sell you gold that they have a stamp that they use to stamp what they have sold and will buy that gold back without having to test the purity.

Thai do not really buy gold to wear, they do like to flash some but mainly is just like a savings account that gains in value daily instead of losing value.

Thanks

Well I'm more interested in the price of Black Gold, That's the form of Gold people spend more on than any other form of Gold.

Thanks

FIP, about thai gold. I know your your capable of finding out information on about whatever. So, I ask you, What does purity mean involving gold quality. What is 96.5. What is 99.999 mean when it is stamped on the gold piece being bought. How is purity measured. What type's of metal are used in diluting gold. What is ornamental gold over investment gold. Is their a better kind of gold? Is the price of investment gold bloated? Are we close to the 87 crash.? How will the crash affect thai gold prices? And, is , or is there a branch of the thai gov't that control's gold quality and pricing??

Thanks

I have forgot some about gold as I am not associated with it anymore, But Alaska gold is a cheaper gold [impurity's give it its special color] than some Calif. mother lode gold, I have mined Calif "White lead" gold that was assayed at 958 fine [22K] out of the ground, .999 fine is pure [24K] and very soft for jewelry but is what is made into ingot at the smelters for investment.

This might be ideas held by miners and not by gold merchants and is my own ideas and I do not care to argue if it is not what you believe.

Thread Information