PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Carnivore vs herbivore

question

How come you Buddhists aren't vegetarians?

Vali Guest
    Technically most people (non-vegitarians) are OMNIVORES, not carnivores...

But anyway, I think it is just not right for Buddhists to kill the animal, so then they see it ok for someone else to... plus it is to not interpret things too literally. The thing about Buddhism is that you can be Buddhist and only believe in part of Buddhism. Lord Buddha said that he did not expect everyone to just take what he said and believe in it automatically. He said, believe in what is practical in your life.

So, with that, for some people it is not practical to NOT eat meat! Many vegitarians need to take vitamin supplements and in a lot of more rural areas there, of course, is no access!

Thanks

Gor Gai

I agree with Vali's statement for the most part, but just let me add a few more things.
    It is true that Buddhism doesn't require strict adherence to its principles. The way we learned it, the teachings of Lord Buddha are not laws, but guidelines. The responsibility to follow them is completely shifted to the believer. No God is going to hold anyone responsible, according to Buddhist perspective.

So Buddhist laypeople don't need to follow every rule of their religion to the letter and still can think of themselves as true to it. Making merit, taking part in ceremonies and trying to live the right way is what most Thais do. Eating meat is perfectly acceptable in this context.
    Monks are another story, though... But they can eat meat too, if the animal was not killed for their sake and if they didn't see the animal being killed.

Another interesting tidbit: some Thais solved the "no kill" guideline in a particularly intersting way: when they catch fish, they don't kill it. They just leave it on the river bank, and it will die "by itself"... and why should the food be wasted?

thumbs up

Thanks for the responses, that makes perfect sense. I'll stick to being a vegetarian though. For one thing, I've lost a lot of weight since doing it. And also, I think after you don't eat meat for a while, it starts to seem gross, and it starts to seem like you're not really supposed to be eating animals.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Another interesting tidbit: some Thais solved the "no kill" guideline in a particularly intersting way: when they catch fish, they don't kill it. They just leave it on the river bank, and it will die "by itself"... and why should the food be wasted
    That's really an amusing tidbit there.5555. It sounds like trying to stage an accident...like herding cows near a highway, hoping some silly cow somehow get itself killed.
    Live your Life to the Fullest.
    The Lonely Boxer.

Wanna

http://funimg.pchome.com.tw/img_uplo...044_104615.gif

delawang Guest
    To add to Seekers point, there is a Thai saying "Don't ask the monk what he wants to eat." Thai's will often just give a vegetarian person a meat dish because they don't want to obligate him with the making the choice. A monk would never kill for food, but he will also never turn down a gift and offend the person who offered him the food. A vegetarian who accepts a gift of meat creates no bad Karma, while one who hurts people by not accepting a gift of food actually does. This is a lot different from the non-Thai concept of vegetarianism, which Thai's consider a bit finicky.

Thai Buddhists are much more concerned with what comes out of their mouths than what goes in :-)

Thread Information