Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

How Do you learn how simple to keep things

Im currently learning the alphabet but for when I start really getting into the words:

มานี แล ดู โบ ใน มือ ชูใจ

maa-nee lae doo bo nai meu chujai (Manee glance look bow in hand Chujai)

Manee takes a look at the bow in Chujai’s hand.

The thai translation is very very basic english

How do you learn how basic to say things?

Thanks

Re: How Do you learn how simple to keep things

How do you learn how basic to say things?
    Can you clarify this question a bit??

...one thing to remember is that a direct translation from Thai to English will still have Thai structure. That might sound basic, but it does not mean that it is. The same goes for when we translate English to Thai....I am always leaving English structure in my Thai. While Thais can usually understand it, it probably sounds very basic to them, too.

Thanks

iGlen Have you read this page yet ?
    http://www.learningthai.com/classroom/sentence.html

Thanks

No I havnt but I am now Whatever_works, much appreciated

Basically pailin in this story it translates sentences into english in about 5 words when we would normally use about 8 or 10 to say them

Ill give the page a read

Cheers,
    Glen

Thanks

The absence of articles - the, a , an - in Thai might be one thing making more direct translations sound "basic".

Of course, Manee and Friends book one is for beginner readers. I'm now onto Manee and Friends book two and the language is more complex already.

Also, when Thai people are speaking to you, they will try to keep it as simple as possible at first. However, they will be moving you along steadily to listening to more complex sentences, spoken more rapidly. I can assure you that any sense that Thai is "basic" will soon disappear. : )

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by billk View Post
    I can assure you that any sense that Thai is "basic" will soon disappear. : )
    I agee, althought I am not even ready for Manee 2, I have been "observing" Thai language for a long time. And the last thing you wanna do iGlen is phsyche yourself into thinking this going to be easy. There will be plenty for you to chew on as things progress.

Thanks

It's not easy but it's always interesting. I expect you will enjoy discovering the complexity of the language as much as I have.

Thanks

I dont think it will be easy, not when its taking me longer then it would in english to learn the alphabet and all these tones

Guess its good that im younger as apparently that makes it easier to learn

Thanks

Hi Glen, I'm not sure if I really understood your question.

Yes, I can agree with you that Manee & friends teaches basic things to start with. Studying Manee & friends isn't going to help you in learning to speak practical Thai like any tourist phrase book would. It was designed for young Thai students in schools to develop their reading skill at one time. So, anyone who pick up Manee & friends usually has an intention to build a stable foundation in learning Thai with a goal far beyond speaking tourist phrases. Mind you, it will get rather tricky somewhere in the middle.

If you felt the urge to learn some practical Thai, then I'd suggest you take a look at "Teach Yourself THAI" by David Symth and then "Thai for Beginners" by Benjawan P. Becker. Studying with these courses certainly rid the boredom found in children books for an adult learner.

I have finished the above two books plus "Colloquial Thai" by John Moore, all from cover to cover and still feel like I'd just started yesterday. Put me in the street of Bangkok now I'm sure my tongue is going to be as tight as a knot.

Boy, I want to be able to speak fluent Thai as badly as anyone else here, but I guess we can't force feed ourselves with languages.

BTW, younger age is not necessary an advantage, but perseverance certainly is.

Chreeio.

Thanks

Some people do sudoku and we learn Thai. The difficulty is part of the attraction.

BTW: I think Manee and Friends gets pretty gripping in book two. I'm dying to find out what became of Weera's parents. : )

Thread Information