Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Interesting places to visit in Chiang Mai

Hi again as I have said in the past we are visiting Chiang mai in September, and we are looking for interesting places to visit. WE have in the past visited many places including, The zoo, elephants, umbrella factory, water rafting wood carving , hot springs ,orchids museum, markets,etc.

We are two couples ages 55 to 65 so not to energetic please your help would be much appreciated.

Yours Keith

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Interesting places to visit in chiang mai

You might find some interesting places in our travel blogs:

http://www.thaitravelblogs.com/chiang-mai/index.php

Thanks
    Thanked 1,744 Times in 1,176 Posts

Have you been up to Wat Phra Doi Suthep -it is quite easy to reach by public or private transport and there is a lift installed so you do not have to tramp up the 200 odd steps from the road. Don't go at weekends-half of Bangkok is in town and a visit to the Wat by such is almost compulsory. Trips to look around nearby Lampang and Lamphun are quite easy also.
    I have also visited this place for a day and was impressed with the tranquility of it-the almost alpine scenery and some of the buildings reminded me a little of Switzerland. I can highly recommend sitting in the open sided village cafe drinking coffee-the best I have ever had- made from beans grown in the village, though it is a bit hilly on the outskirts it is nice to stroll around what is essentially an ordinary but interesting village not spoilt by tourism. People are very friendly.
    (I am aged 60, incidentally, -noting your comment about not being "too energetic"! )
    Last edited by Khun Don; 21-08-07 at 11:44 PM. Reason: additional info
    "There is no such thing as totally useless information"

Bookshop: Our own bookshop
    News and Photos:Thailand Scribe​ | ​Thai Photo Blogs​ | Thai Travel News​
    Online Guidebooks:​ThailandGuidebook.com | ​BangkokGuidebook.com | ​Bangkok-Daytrips.com | ​ChiangmaiGuidebook.com

Thanks

Umm There are A LOT of temples there .I think at least 1 temple in every soi. But those temples are really beautiful. You should go to Doi In-ta-non , Wat Phra Tat Doi Sythep , Doi Puy and hanging around the town.

PS. Don't forget to go to Taksin's home !! hehe joking.

Thanks

Re: Interesting places to visit in Chiang Mai

how about Phuping Palace? it is 4 kms on from Wat Phrathat Doi Suthep temple. it's the royal family's residence but they hardly ever stay, so the gardens are open for the public. it's my mum's favourite place in Chiang Mai (she's 55).

I've been told the Ratchaphruek flower exhibition area is open again and has been converted into a kind of park. I haven't been since the exhibition itself closed so I have no idea exactly.

the Queen Sirikit Botanical gardens are near the Mae Sa falls and Mae Sa elephant school. a very tranquil place. if you drive on, there is beauiful scenery all along the Mae Rim-Mae Sa-Samoeng-Hangdong loop (it goes all the way behind Doi Suthep mountain).

virtually all tour companies offer a one-day trip to Doi Inthanon, the highest peak in Thailand - it's lots of hours in the minivan, but some really nice scenery, spectacular waterfalls, usually there is a visit to the Royal project, Royal pagodas near the peak, hilltribe villages, and the peak itself. I really wish they did two-day trips (not just two-day treks) in the area.

Rochford, Essex, England, but my heart is stil in Doilo!
    Thanks

'Home Stay' has been available on Intanon for a few years now, worthwhile if you have your own transport and a day or two spare, quite inexpensive too.
    For the less hardy, a new hotel has recently opened on the road from Chomtong, as well as the Guest House that has operated for several years now near Ban Mae Klang.
    To be happy with where you are, first be happy with who you are.

Thanks

Clev here

could you please tell me the Home stay neam or website please and thank you

Clev

Thanks

Maesa Elephant camp is a good place to visit, well worth the trip out there. Also if you are game enough why not try a flight in a microlight over the jungle and hillsides? weight restrictions of 110kg are in place but its highly recommended.

Thanks

Well, there are some really nice wats in the city such as Wat Suan Dok, Wat Jed Yod and Wat Phra Sing. They have connections to the past when Chiang Mai was the capital of an independent kingdom that did a lot of fighting with Ayutthaya and Burma. Even before the Thais were the Mon people with their capital at modern-day Lamphun, just 20-30 minutes from Chiang Mai. The temples to visit there are Wat Haripunchai and Wat Cammadevi.

There is a nice restaurant on the road past Chiang Mai University above half way up a mountain that gives a great view of the city.

To add to the scenic sites, and exercise, the Chiang Dao Caves are quite nice and the Sankhampaeng geyser holds interest too. Speaking of the latter town, the jewel factory there draws many tourists as does the umbrella village at Bo Sang.

At night there are a number of night markets selling their wares.

Thanks

Chiang Dao caves - some 80 kms from Chiang Mai. it's really nice, but not extraordinary, and far away. if you are going to Mae Rim anyway, or up north to Fang / Thaton, it might be better, but it was a long daytrip from Chiang Mai just for the sake of the caves.

Thread Information