PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Top 10 list of Thai Food!!!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Top 10 list of Thai Food!!!

1. Hot and sour soup with shrimp (tom yum goong) : most famous dishes in Thai cuisine, hot and Spicy Herb so much
    2. Green curry with chicken (gaeng kiaw waen gai), is one of the spicier variations of curry.The main ingredients are coconut milk, green curry paste, eggplant, sugar, fish sauce, kaffir lime leaves and thai
    basil leaves.
    3. Fried Noodles (pad tai): Pad Thai is one of the best-known Thai dishes, and is very popular in Thai restaurants in America and Australia.
    4. Pork fried in basil (pat ga-prao)
    5. Red curry with roast duck (gaeng pet bet yaang)
    6. Coconut soup with chicken (tom kaa gai)
    7. Thai style salad with beef (yam neua yaang)
    8. Satay pork (moo sa-teh)
    9. Fried chicken with cashew (gai pat met ma-muang him-ma-paan)
    10. Panang curry (pa-naeng)

Enjoy Eating Now !!!

Thanks

Re: Top 10 list of Thai Food!!!

mmmmm Panang!!! Tom Yum Goong!!!

i'm surprised Pad Kra Pow isnt on there (spicy basil chicken)

also, i'm in love with Moo Minnow and Shoo Shee Ghung

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

In no particular order:

Pork fried rice.
    BBQ rat with rice and two fried eggs.
    Pork stirfry.
    Moo ka tah.
    Any fish (fried or bbq).
    Hard boiled black eggs.
    Most 'bugs'.
    Seafood.
    KFC spicy Thai version not the classic.
    *Anything* my wife cooks (provided she hasn't put sugar on it.)

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks

Pad si eu
    Som tom
    Papaya
    Prawns
    Roast Duck
    Noy Naa
    Pineapple
    Satay (pork, chicken, liver)
    Purple rice with brown sugar in a bamboo tubes
    Sticky Rice

Thanks

David, hard boiled black eggs? Would you be talkin about fermented duck eggs? Available in the US and every where I think. In thailand they are pink {shelled} ..... pickled radish, garlic, greens, and of course, beer, singh, or chang., or kloster. Makes one think life is worth kickin....up and down and whatever...

Thanks

Interesting list, this Top 10 Thai Food for Foreigners.

First, 'Satay' isn't even a Thai food - it is Indonesian, also a popular dish in Malaysia. Of course, in the country of origin it is chicken and not pork!

Even 'Panaeng' curry, isn't Thai. It's origins are from the south of Thailand and again Indonesian/Malay food.

Red Curry with Duck = well, i have hardly ever been to any Thai restaurants (in Thailand) which offer this dish. Red curry is of course popular in Thailand, but as for adding duck, seems more like a dish aimed at foreigners.

Another dish on this top ten which is a little rare in Thailand is 'Chicken with Cashew Nuts'. Foreigners seem to like this dish more than Thais. It isn't a very popular dish with Thais. In fact, many of my Grade 4-5 students before had never heard of this dish!

And finally, 'Phat Thai' - again, foreigners love this dish. But as for Thais themselves, i doubt that this would get in their Top Ten. Same goes for 'Coconut Soup with Chicken'.

Uptoyou_inUdon mentioned Phat See Eu as his favourite dish. this dish isn't Thai though - Phat See Eu is Chinese food. David said 'Hard boiled black eggs' - those are Chinese too.

When you get to the heart of things, a lot of stuff which is claimed Thai - isn't actually Thai at all.
    www.thai-blogs.com - Stories and Photos about Life in Thailand
    www.bangkokscams.com
    www.thaicolumn.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lenss View Post
    David, hard boiled black eggs? Would you be talkin about fermented duck eggs? Available in the US and every where I think. In thailand they are pink {shelled} ..... pickled radish, garlic, greens, and of course, beer, singh, or chang., or kloster. Makes one think life is worth kickin....up and down and whatever...
    I don't think they are duck eggs, to me duck eggs are different shape to chicken eggs, bigger, and in blue shells. Theses eggs were normal chicken shaped and normal brown shells. When eaten the yellow and the white are a purpley-black colour and the 'white' can be 'seen through' if held to the light.

When in Pattaya there is an old lady selling them at night who would find us most evenings wherever we may be. My wife and I were the only people I ever saw buy any.

David

Thanks

David, that's a new perspective on this type of egg. Don't think I'm familiar with them. Steven's post is, well, I think right on. As he mentioned in a very good post, fermented duck eggs are a chinese import. But, The thais sure know how to ferment them. The smell can overtake a farang. The yolk, which is now a very black color, is sweet. If you can get past what is perceived to be, well,.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cleary View Post
    Interesting list, this Top 10 Thai Food for Foreigners.

First, 'Satay' isn't even a Thai food - it is Indonesian, also a popular dish in Malaysia. Of course, in the country of origin it is chicken and not pork!

Even 'Panaeng' curry, isn't Thai. It's origins are from the south of Thailand and again Indonesian/Malay food.

Red Curry with Duck = well, i have hardly ever been to any Thai restaurants (in Thailand) which offer this dish. Red curry is of course popular in Thailand, but as for adding duck, seems more like a dish aimed at foreigners.

Another dish on this top ten which is a little rare in Thailand is 'Chicken with Cashew Nuts'. Foreigners seem to like this dish more than Thais. It isn't a very popular dish with Thais. In fact, many of my Grade 4-5 students before had never heard of this dish!

And finally, 'Phat Thai' - again, foreigners love this dish. But as for Thais themselves, i doubt that this would get in their Top Ten. Same goes for 'Coconut Soup with Chicken'.

Uptoyou_inUdon mentioned Phat See Eu as his favourite dish. this dish isn't Thai though - Phat See Eu is Chinese food. David said 'Hard boiled black eggs' - those are Chinese too.

When you get to the heart of things, a lot of stuff which is claimed Thai - isn't actually Thai at all.
    I think as a foreigner that if you go to a country and eat something you have never heard of anywhere else then you naturally assume it is a dish of that country.

In Indian restaurants in the UK the most popular dish is chicken tikka masala, this is a dish unheard of in the Indian sub-continent - it was invented in Glasgow in the late 1960s.

David

Thanks

In Indian restaurants in the UK the most popular dish is chicken tikka masala, this is a dish unheard of in the Indian sub-continent - it was invented in Glasgow in the late 1960s.
    david...are for real? here in aussie you can buy a "patoks" range of kapong indian sauces, one of which is chicken masala..just goes to show doesnt it? never really know what is authentic and what isnt unless you have actually been to the country in question......much like thai food...so many westerners say they love thai food but have never actually tried it in its true enviroment...............

Thread Information