PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Top 10 list of Thai Food!!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Top 10 list of Thai Food!!!

We call the "black eggs", century eggs. It goes well with porridge (or in Thai we call jok)which is kinda "chinese". Nice with pickled ginger as well.

Thanks

Personal favourite in no particular order are:
    - jim joon taleh
    - gai yang
    - muu yang
    - som tum kuung sot
    - kuun chet nam plaa
    - lard muu
    - lard tuup
    - pak phet thod
    - Steak Lao (muu or neur)
    - squid with lemon sauce
    - fish with lemon sauce
    - fish paste with seafood in coconut
    - chicken wrap in coconut leaf

many more.

I think some of these originated from Lao though......

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guyza View Post
    In Indian restaurants in the UK the most popular dish is chicken tikka masala, this is a dish unheard of in the Indian sub-continent - it was invented in Glasgow in the late 1960s.
    david...are for real? here in aussie you can buy a "patoks" range of kapong indian sauces, one of which is chicken masala..just goes to show doesnt it? never really know what is authentic and what isnt unless you have actually been to the country in question......much like thai food...so many westerners say they love thai food but have never actually tried it in its true enviroment...............
    There may be some dispute as to when and where it was invented, but it is certainly a British dish first served sometime between the 1950s and 1970s. In Indian cuisine you get chicken tikka but not with a masala sauce. The sauce was invented because the British found chicken tikka too dry on it's own.

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David_Loves_Ubonwan View Post
    In Indian restaurants in the UK the most popular dish is chicken tikka masala, this is a dish unheard of in the Indian sub-continent - it was invented in Glasgow in the late 1960s. David
    Don't repeat this to anyone involved in the Indian Restaurant trade in Birmingham or London!!! Both cities claim to have invented it. The story goes an English customer complained a curry was too dry and sent the meal back to the kitchen. The Chef added a tin of Heinz tomato soup, reheated it and sent it out again

Thanks

I also heard it was invented in Rusholme (Manchester) too. Rusholme is known as the curry mile and has the largest concentration of Asian (Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi and Sri Lankan) restaurants in the UK. Apparently between then they serve 65,000 diners a week. Walking along there of an evening the smell makes you think you could be in downtown Bombay.

David

Thanks

Birmingham has similar-now known as the "Balti Triangle"

Thanks

I heard the Balti was invented in Birmin'ham and that it was an instruction to the chef to Bring Another Lousy Take-away Indian???

David

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David_Loves_Ubonwan View Post
    I heard the Balti was invented in Birmin'ham and that it was an instruction to the chef to Bring Another Lousy Take-away Indian???

David

I have not heard that one before!

To get back somewhere in the region of the subject-the worst "Indian" I have ever had was in Pattaya!

Having an aversion to Chilli, I am one of Steve's "Chicken & Cashew Nut" eaters when it comes to Thai, always a little frightened to try much else unless it leaves me in real pain.

Thanks

Thanks for the clarification Stephen. I found that phat see eu was not as popular in Udon Thani as it was amongst the northern Thais in Chiang Mai. At least I got the sticky rice and som tom correct, and the purple rice that come in the bamboo tubes. I forgot the Lao/Thai/northern Thai name for the latter.

Thanks

when Im in Thailand I usually eat Khao Pao Gai everyday and I like it with egg on top of the rice. Its friend chicken and rice if I didnt write it right. Whats truly great with the thai kitchen imo is that it always tastes a bit different from different kitchens.

Thread Information