PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Top 10 list of Thai Food!!! - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Top 10 list of Thai Food!!!

Perhaps the "origin" of the dish doesn't necessarily indicate which country can claim it as its own. For example, if chicken-with-cashew-nuts was developed by Thais in response to frequent requests for it by Farangs, is it not still a "Thai dish"?

Who cares anyway - we just like eating it! Whenever we go to a restaurant in LoS we start by ordering one of our old favourite dishes like chicken-and-cashews before ordering another more adventurous one like "fermented pork", so we know for sure that we will enjoy at least one of them!

Actually the origin of iconic dishes can sometime be serious stuff. In NZ we are damn sure we invented the famous (and scrummily delicious) pavlova cake, but the Aussies also claim it as their own. Of course this is just another example of the well-established precedent of Aussies claiming all our best things as their own (from Phar Lap to Crowded House) once they become succsessful. The pavlova controversy was almost as serious as the infamous "underarm incident" when NZ came within a hair's breadth of declaring war on Australia!!
    Ӽ

Thanks

Another dish on this top ten which is a little rare in Thailand is 'Chicken with Cashew Nuts'. Foreigners seem to like this dish more than Thais. It isn't a very popular dish with Thais. In fact, many of my Grade 4-5 students before had never heard of this dish!
    While this dish isn't always available in every food stalls, it is still considered a 'common' menu in many restaurants here (well, at least in Bangkok, where I live) and those restaurants are just ordinary ones which surely aren't aiming towards foreigners and tourists. I've also had it several times as a lunchbox offered to the staff working for university's activities, and other numerous times in the restaurants. Calling it 'rare' is a bit of overstatement.

And finally, 'Phat Thai' - again, foreigners love this dish. But as for Thais themselves, i doubt that this would get in their Top Ten.
    Strange... I can find it everywhere here - from the street stalls, in the restaurants, food courts, schools and universities canteen, etc. As a Thai myself, I can confirm that this is one of the most ordered dishes by local Thais themselves.
    Last edited by Karn; 28-11-07 at 01:41 AM.

Thanks

That is typical Chinese 100 year old eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by David_Loves_Ubonwan View Post
    I don't think they are duck eggs, to me duck eggs are different shape to chicken eggs, bigger, and in blue shells. Theses eggs were normal chicken shaped and normal brown shells. When eaten the yellow and the white are a purpley-black colour and the 'white' can be 'seen through' if held to the light.

When in Pattaya there is an old lady selling them at night who would find us most evenings wherever we may be. My wife and I were the only people I ever saw buy any.

David

Thanks

Can't say In agree having traveled to Thailand and India over 30 times each in the last 20 years.

Chinese after WW11 introduced noodle carts to Thailand and now all Thais love them. One could unfortunately even say McD's is loved by young Thais.

Anyway, my favourite Thai dishes (and yes I make them at home)

1. Haw Mok Talay
    2. Miang Kam
    3. Khanom Jin Namya
    4. Yam Pla Group Phrik
    5. Yam Som-O
    6. Gai Pad Kaprao
    7. Fak Thong Muu Krung Kaeng Phe8.
    9. Khao Phat Gai Phrik Kee Nue
    10. Gkuay Dtiow Pad Khee Mao (my mom's fav)

and so many others-depends on my mood and ingredients. Want to learn to cook authentic Thai food, I have many recipes I have learned over the past 20+ years

http://thaifood.bellaonline.com/Site.asp

and sign up for my newsletter.

We're off to Thailand and Cambodia for a few weeks. We'll be filming chefs, recipes, street ha3wkers food, etc. I'll be uploading them on to iFood.TV

Mary-Anne

I think as a foreigner that if you go to a country and eat something you have never heard of anywhere else then you naturally assume it is a dish of that country.

In Indian restaurants in the UK the most popular dish is chicken tikka masala, this is a dish unheard of in the Indian sub-continent - it was invented in Glasgow in the late 1960s.

David

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by shantihhh View Post
    One could unfortunately even say McD's is loved by young Thais.
    That would be different to my experience in Thailand, I have found Thai's don't like to eat bread products such as the buns that burgers come in or pizza bases. My wife would tell you that 'bread is only for babies and feeding ducks in the park'.

My family look forward to visiting KFC when I am visiting them in Thailand, but all suggestions of McDonalds have been turned down.

Apart from Farang places the only time I recall seeing bread in Thailand was that sold by old ladies in Lumpini Park for the purpose of feeding the ducks there.

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks

Apart from Farang places the only time I recall seeing bread in Thailand was that sold by old ladies in Lumpini Park for the purpose of feeding the ducks there.
    There is a fabulous and famous old bread shop in the small market behind Thammasat....at the pier there. You have your choice of garlic or sugar. There is also the very trendy bread shop near the Bangkok municipal buildings. Shoot, I forget the name... you basically get bread and your choice of topping (both yummy and oddly not yummy toppings available).

My English teacher at my high school in Trang would invite me back to her house for sugar bread every day after school. Yum!

Thanks

McD's and KFC are cited along with "coke" for the rise in obesity of Thai children. Sad, but true

Unfortunately many studies have been done on this major problem in Bangkok. Upcountry it is not a problem.

The only bread I have come across in Thailand is the steamed buns of the Chinese-Thais.

That would be different to my experience in Thailand, I have found Thai's don't like to eat bread products such as the buns that burgers come in or pizza bases. My wife would tell you that 'bread is only for babies and feeding ducks in the park'.

My family look forward to visiting KFC when I am visiting them in Thailand, but all suggestions of McDonalds have been turned down.

David

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cleary View Post

Red Curry with Duck = well, i have hardly ever been to any Thai restaurants (in Thailand) which offer this dish. Red curry is of course popular in Thailand, but as for adding duck, seems more like a dish aimed at foreigners.

Another dish on this top ten which is a little rare in Thailand is 'Chicken with Cashew Nuts'. Foreigners seem to like this dish more than Thais. It isn't a very popular dish with Thais. In fact, many of my Grade 4-5 students before had never heard of this dish!
    Red curry with duck: my understanding is ᡧҧ - gaeng phet bpet yaan = red curry with roasted duck
    Chicken with cashew nuts: Ѵǧҹоԡ - stir fried chicken with cashew nut and dried chilli

These 2 dishes are popular in some restaurants (mostly in Bangkok), but they are not wellknown in most part of Thailand, main reason I guess it's from expensive ingredients, take more time to prepare, not many people know how to cook it right. If my memory is right, red curry with roasted duck is originally a recipe from palace, the good one must add grape to get better taste. Almost 10 years ago, I had these 2 dishes to make merit to monks and people in temples in the north, only few people had eaten these dishes before, the rest just said food from Bangkok, first time for them to see these dishes.

Anyway, one of the most popular dishes for Thais is -kai jieow- Thai style fried beaten egg, some prefer Ѻ - kai jieow with minced pork, it's really good when eating with all kinds of spicy dishes and rice.

Thanks

Burger King & Fuji!!!
    I love the biscuit with cream....what is it call?? I bought it at a nightmarket near Golden Mount. And the Pork Stick I bought at Yaowarat.
    But most of the time, i will just eat Guey Diaw Soup...

Thanks

I think younger Thais eat more bread now and learnt to like milk as well. there is a generation gap.

Thread Information