PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Driving in Thailand
    Yicker Guest

Driving in Thailand

Sawatdee Khrab

Myself and a few friends will be visiting Thailand in a few months and will be hopefully be renting a car and driving across a fair bit of the country. Can anyone tell me what the state of the roads are in Thailand? Is relatively long distance driving practical?

Also one of the places we are intending to visit is Koh Samui. Obviously, being an island this presents a slight problem for three Englishmen and a car lol. Does anyone know of a ferry to the island, and if so is it foot passenger only, or could we get the car over and back?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Paul

Thanks
    Every summer holiday, we go off on road trips around Thailand. Last summer we drove up to Chiang Mai and Mae Hong Song. A couple of summers ago we drove all the way down to Phuket. Summer holidays are here again and we are preparing our next road trip!

The roads are great and on the main highways you will see a lot of signs in English/Roman letters. There are no really good road maps in Thailand. But we always use Road Atlas of Thailand by Globetrotter. It is not perfect but it has never gotten us lost.

I haven't been to Koh Samui yet, but if we did go we would take the car on the ferry. I guess we would then leave the car somewhere there when we go off to explore the smaller islands.

We have a section on road signs:

http://www.learningthai.com/roadsigns/page_01.htm

The photo album also has many road signs:

http://www.learningthai.com/photos.html

I have just written on the white board an idea for doing a section for driving in Thailand. This will include phrases for gas/petrol stations and asking directions. We will try and get this up on the web site in a few weeks time.
    Support the forum and chat rooms and buy computer software and books for learning Thai at www.BuyThaiBooks.com

Thread Information