Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

One week in Thailand, enough time?

I'm doing a little traveling for a month at Christmas im going to Australia for three weeks then one week in Thailand. I'm flying to Bangkok on Thursday the 11th of Jan 08 and Leaving on the 18th. So can anyone recommend what to do in such a short space of time. I'm traveling on my own so would like something kinda like ozexpereince so i get to meet people. I would mainly like to visit a nice beach/island and see a bit of the rainforest (with a elephant ride). Money isnt really a massive issue but i would prefer to do so i can meet people.

Alot to ask i know. Or if you could recommend spending time in Bangkok instead that would also be great. But either way prefer to do meet people and have something prearanged before i go so i dont waste time when im there organising stuff.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 938 Posts

Re: One week in Thailand, enought time?

Welcome Borat1234.

Have you checked the website associated with this Forum, www.ThailandGuidebook.com, for plenty of suggestions of places to visit and things to see?

Have fun on your visit.

David

BTW there is no Thursday 11th January next year, Thursday is the 10th and Friday is the 11th.

Thanks

If you are wanting something like a oz experience and wanting to get to know a bunch of great people to share your experience with, then what about consigering a backpacker tour with a aussie company called "geckos"? geckosadventures.com.au these are really great tours that offer alot of freedom and you get to mingle with great people and they dont do the normal touristy thing that alot of people do when on holidays. They take you to places in all different kinds of "local" transport and see things that the average tourist doesnt. i've done a couple of them in the past when i first started traveling and they are well worth it. group sizes are small and most of the people are single.

Thanks

Cancel the Australia part of your trip, unless you have family duties there, and spend a month in Thailand instead (maybe with a side trip to Laos or Cambodia). I'm totally serious!

Thanks

You are so right billk.

Even one month is not enough for LOS.

I always spend al least 2 months.
    My interesting blog about Thailand at Thailand Blog ---> click here

Thanks

2 months will not do....its rushing and you will miss many places.... For me, i will use around 4 months for Cambodia, Laos and Thailand.... and if you want to include Vietnam , 5 months...... Spend more time in Koh Phangan and enjoy the full moon party.....cheers!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marohnicelena View Post
    2 months will not do....its rushing and you will miss many places.... For me, i will use around 4 months for Cambodia, Laos and Thailand.... and if you want to include Vietnam , 5 months...... Spend more time in Koh Phangan and enjoy the full moon party.....cheers!!!!
    Koh Phangan in peak season will be wall to wall drunk Farangs with hairbraids and painful new tattoos.

Go to Thailand instead!

I spoke to some English women a while back who combined a trip to Australia with a trip to Viet Nam. They said that Australia was all very nice but just a bit too much like being at home, while Viet Nam was the most amazing place they'd ever been and they wished they'd spent more time there.

Short trips to Australia usually mean just seeing big cities, which are much like big cities anywhere. If you want to see the bits of Australia that will blow your mind, it's gonna take a lot of time, because it's seriously big. So why not take your time in Thailand and see the amazing bits away from the tourist resorts (like Isaan and the North) and then save up for a two/ three month trip to Australia in a years time?

Thanks

Not to mention a lot cheaper too. Your money will go so much further than it would in Oz.

During a month here you could spend a week in BKK, getting over the trip. Base yourself in Khao San meet lots of people, find out what and where is good.

Then you could get a flight upto Chiang Mai and go trekking and elephant trekking, then fly down to the south and go to a full moon party (or half moon or no moon depending when you are there) Koh Pha Ngan is really a party island but mainly down the south in Hat Rin, there are quiet coves there.

Alternatively you could go west to Kanchanaburi and do elephant trekking there and see the bridge over the river kwai, war museums etc, then go east to Trat province and down to Koh Chang. I've not been there yet but its definately on my list of to go places.

Or bypass BKK completely and fly to Phuket, lots of beaches, people to meet and elephant rides, I think, with a bit of jungle thrown in

If you only spend a week here its all to easy getting to Khao San road and having a party, then not getting it together to leave for a week, which would be a shame.
    Last edited by Ben Kroo; 24-09-07 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Phuket factor

Thanks

Koh Phangan in peak season will be wall to wall drunk Farangs with hairbraids and painful new tattoos
    That is true Billk, but you seem to forget that most tourists think Thailand is just a place to party and get drunk and make an ass of themselves, spend a lot of money and never really get to know Thailand.

Bankok and Pattaya, but not Thailand.
    I have been here 7 years and never been in a bar, and am still learning new things about this place everyday.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Kroo View Post
    Not to mention a lot cheaper too. Your money will go so much further than it would in Oz.

Then you could get a flight upto Chiang Mai and go trekking and elephant trekking, then fly down to the south and go to a full moon party (or half moon or no moon depending when you are there) Koh Pha Ngan is really a party island but mainly down the south in Hat Rin, there are quiet coves there.

Alternatively you could go west to Kanchanaburi and do elephant trekking there and see the bridge over the river kwai, war museums etc, then go east to Trat province and down to Koh Chang. I've not been there yet but its definately on my list of to go places.
    Yep, your Euro will have 4-5 times the buying power in Thailand it will have in Oz.

If Elephants are your thing, I would definitely recommend the following:

Elephant Nature Park, near Chiang Mai. You don't get to ride the elephants here (they're mostly ex-abuse cases) but you certainly do get up-close. You feed and bathe them twice a day and go walking in the jungle with them if you are staying a couple of days or more.

Thai Elephant Conservation Centre, near Lampang. You can do a three day basic mahout skills course here. You get to sit on an elephant's neck, which is built to carry loads, rather than in one of those chair contraptions that wreck their backs.

Friends of Elephants Thailand, in Kanchaburi. Also runs basic mahout skills courses.

These three places all have good reputations for looking after their elephants, unlike some elephant trekking companies.

The attached two photos are from Elephant Nature Park.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8170391.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	422.4 KB 
ID:	959   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P8170401.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	334.8 KB 
ID:	960  

Thread Information