PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Ideas for Chiang Mai and the north
    Thanks

so happy! Re: Need Advice from Experts

More Irish needing advice

We will be in Thailand in December and spending some time in Chiang Mai. We're taking the overnight sleeper from BKK and staying in Baan Orapin in CM, doing the cookery class (Lot of Thai, thanks Richard for the recommendation) on one day. So what to do next while in the North?

We've been wondering if a car hire for a few days might be a good idea. Would like to see the White Temple near Chiang Rai, maybe to go to Lamphun, then onto the elephant conservation centre. Continue onto Lamphang, and then maybe Phrae and some other places in this general area. Then back to BKK by train if we can drop car off somewhere like Uttaradit. Would this be possible (dropping the car off in a different place to the pick up) ? Any car rental companies to recommend?

What do the experts think? With such a convulated journey we think car hire might be best for us. And what other sites to visit in this general area.

Thanks

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Ideas for Chiang Mai and the north

Driving up north is perfectly fine. You can buy a map book just for North of Thailand and there are also good maps for Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. But, be warned that it is a big area and two days isn't really enough time. Can you give us an idea of how long you are prepared to spend in this area. If you have a car then you can easily spend 2 weeks here and not get bored.

BTW, when you do the Lot of Thai cooking class, say hello to them for me.

Thanks

Hi Richard

We plan to travel up on the 7th December and stay in CM until 10th. We do the cookery course on the 8th. We were thinking of a couple of days (that's Irish for a few days!) after the 10th to travel to Lamphun/Lamphang and Phrae areas. We'd like to see the Elephant Conservation centre near Lamphang, it seems the best? Then train (or alternative?) back to BKK to get there on 13th or 14th. We will do a couple of short trips out of CM while we are staying there.

So we'd appreciate any advice about what to do after we leave CM or how to get the best out of the time up North before we return to BKK.

Is it better to have a car and guide or would a rented car be OK? Do any car rental companies allow drop off at a different place to pick up?

Thanks for the help

Thanks

Hi Joe,

I have rented twice from http://www.northwheels.com/ and am very please with their services.

I normally rent in CM and return in CR or vice versa. They have offices in CM and CR. But I don't think they have office in BKK.

If you have a big group, you can rent a Van with driver for about 1500 per day sans gasoline which could be quite expensive. Normal car rental is about 1000-1600 per day depending on the type and age of the car. I normally get one old Toyota car which cost about 900 per day.

A word of advice, please bring along travel brochure of places you would like to see and in case you are lost, you could should people the photo and they could help to point you to the right direction. Knowing the name of places in English is no use. Alternatively, print out the photo and Thai names from TAT website and carry with you.

Please visit my blogs at http://www.thai-blogs.com/index.php?blog=17

Have been busy of late and no time to give updates.

Regards,
    KhunChin

Thanks

KhunChin

Thanks for the information and advice

Joe

Thanks

Travelling by car would be better than by train considering saving times. You have only three days to explore Chaing Mai, Lumpang, and Chaing Rai...that would be more than enough ( you should probably skip sleeping and eating all together).

You can try to get more info from this link: www.tourismthailand.org
    The website gives detail info on Chaing Mai and Chaing Rai very well.

Personally, I love exploring Chaing Rai, boating along Mae Kong River, and crossing to Lao. You can do all these in 24 hours including taking pictures with hilltribers.

Don't forget to book for Night Safari in Chaing Mai after your cooking class.

Thread Information