Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Obtaining a Thai passport and id card?

I've read conflicting information over the internet. Hopefully, someone can help me out since I can't read Thai and read what I can on English written websites.

As I understand it, there's no such thing as dual citizenship. But, if you were born in Thailand, you are automatically a Thai citizen.

My mom wants to get a Thai passport and id card when we are in Thailand. She has plans of one day returning there to live. I asked her if ever denounced her citizenship when she married my father. She didn't understand what that meant.

She sent me some paperwork. Of course, it's written in Thai! So, I have no idea what she sent me. I do know it's not my Thai birth certificate.

She went on to further suggest that I get my Thai id and passport while we are in the country. I was born in Thailand and moved to the states when I was one years old. I have a birth certificate issued by the American Embassy. I don't have one issued by Thailand. I read that I can't get an id card if I'm older than 35 years old. Is that true?

Thanks for any insight.

Wendy

Thanks

Re: Obtaining a Thai passport and id card?

I think that you should contact the Thai Embassy or consulate that services the area in which you live, they could better give you the info that you require.

Thanks

As long as you're Mother or Father is a Thai national, it's a cut and paste procedure. I've never heard of the "over 35" rule. But I believe such a rule may only be applied to men who are trying to avoid military duty.
    "Random Witty Comment"

Thanks

Thank you. I was wondering about the seemingly arbitrary over 35 rule. I think my mom never denounced her Thai citizenship. Her heart is for Thailand. I hope that she does one day move back there. As for me, I doubt I'll go through the process of getting my Thai id card and passport. My heart is here in America. My mom is the one pushing me to do it. I think she has dreams of me going there to live with her once my children are grown. LOL

Thanks again,
    Wendy

Thanks

There seems to be no hard and fast rules in Thailand, they treat ever situation as something new and seem to make up laws and rules as they go along.
    No rule seems to hold true in every case so just be prepared to spend some time and go along with what they tell you, and if you do not like the answer just go and ask someone else.

Thanks

talking Re: Obtaining a Thai passport and id card?

Dear Wendy,
    I came to US as a teenager and didn't have Thai ID card at the time because was I was not old enough to get the card. I am now US citizen.You should get Thai ID card - this means you are Thai citizen, you have to have Thai ID card to be Thai citizen. You can have dual citizenship. It is best to go to Thailand to get it done, if you have relative in Thailand that can help take you to Ampeng is best, you will need house register with your name registered in house in Thailand. It took me 2 trips to Thailand and several trips to Ampeng.
    After I got my Thai ID card I also obtained Thai passport. I had lost my Thai passport years ago so I had to go to police station to report it lost, then I took the report along with other paper work to obtain my Thai passport. I had to do this so my children who are half Thai and half American can also get Thai citizen. They need a copy of your Thai passport to get your children's birthcertificate in Thai. I also went ahead a got them Thai passport, next time they travel to Thailand they will use the Thai passport. It took several months (you can go on line for Thai embassy/consulate in your area) and see what kind of paper work you will need. This is a good year to try to get these done as the rule is not as strict due to The King's 80th birthday. We just bought a house on the beach in Thailand which I own and can be passed down to the children since they are also Thai citizen.
    Hope this help.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dbm View Post
    Dear Wendy,
    I came to US as a teenager and didn't have Thai ID card at the time because was I was not old enough to get the card. I am now US citizen.You should get Thai ID card - this means you are Thai citizen, you have to have Thai ID card to be Thai citizen. You can have dual citizenship. It is best to go to Thailand to get it done, if you have relative in Thailand that can help take you to Ampeng is best, you will need house register with your name registered in house in Thailand. It took me 2 trips to Thailand and several trips to Ampeng.
    After I got my Thai ID card I also obtained Thai passport. I had lost my Thai passport years ago so I had to go to police station to report it lost, then I took the report along with other paper work to obtain my Thai passport. I had to do this so my children who are half Thai and half American can also get Thai citizen. They need a copy of your Thai passport to get your children's birthcertificate in Thai. I also went ahead a got them Thai passport, next time they travel to Thailand they will use the Thai passport. It took several months (you can go on line for Thai embassy/consulate in your area) and see what kind of paper work you will need. This is a good year to try to get these done as the rule is not as strict due to The King's 80th birthday. We just bought a house on the beach in Thailand which I own and can be passed down to the children since they are also Thai citizen.
    Hope this help.

Thanks for the encouragement.

What or where is the Ampeng? We will be in Thailand for a couple of months. I haven't decided if I will try to get mine yet.

From my understanding, which doesn't mean much, a thai passport wouldn't be helpful for traveling back and forth to the states. Let's say that I do get a Thai passport and travel to Thailand using it. When I want to return to the states, I have to use my American passport if I don't have a return ticket coming back to Thailand. And, say I've been in Thailand longer than 30 days, I would be fined for staying in Thailand without a visa stamped on my American passport when I try to get on the plane for my return flight to the states.

It gets too complicated for me. Maybe, I'm over complicating things. How do you travel back and forth on a Thai passport without having to get visas from one or the other country?

I do see the value of getting one for owning property. My mom plans on buying property during our stay. However, I would think she would give it to one of her other relatives upon her passing.

I think she wants me to get one so I can freely visit her for long periods of time when she moves back to Thailand. Or possibly, talk my husband into retiring there. But, that's so far into the future to plan.

As for having a thai id card, I have conflicting feelings about getting one. Don't get me wrong, I would love to embrace the Thai part of me. But, I would feel guilty using it to get a cheaper price since I don't live or pay taxes in the country. Not that I'm rich. I'm far from rich with six children! LOL On the other hand, I don't want to take advantage of Thailand. Maybe, I'll get it and not use it.

I don't know. Like I said, I'm still debating what I will do.

Thank you again,
    Wendy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,466 Times in 905 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 6Swans4Me View Post

What or where is the Ampeng? We will be in Thailand for a couple of months. I haven't decided if I will try to get mine yet.
    I think possibly that the poster is actually referring to the Amphur rather than Ampeng?

Each Province is divided in to Amphur, and the Amphur is like the local Government Office where you go to register a marriage, a birth, renew your ID card etc.

David

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 6Swans4Me View Post

From my understanding, which doesn't mean much, a thai passport wouldn't be helpful for traveling back and forth to the states. Let's say that I do get a Thai passport and travel to Thailand using it. When I want to return to the states, I have to use my American passport if I don't have a return ticket coming back to Thailand. And, say I've been in Thailand longer than 30 days, I would be fined for staying in Thailand without a visa stamped on my American passport when I try to get on the plane for my return flight to the states.

It gets too complicated for me. Maybe, I'm over complicating things. How do you travel back and forth on a Thai passport without having to get visas from one or the other country?

I do see the value of getting one for owning property. My mom plans on buying property during our stay. However, I would think she would give it to one of her other relatives upon her passing.

I think she wants me to get one so I can freely visit her for long periods of time when she moves back to Thailand. Or possibly, talk my husband into retiring there. But, that's so far into the future to plan.

As for having a thai id card, I have conflicting feelings about getting one. Don't get me wrong, I would love to embrace the Thai part of me. But, I would feel guilty using it to get a cheaper price since I don't live or pay taxes in the country. Not that I'm rich. I'm far from rich with six children! LOL On the other hand, I don't want to take advantage of Thailand. Maybe, I'll get it and not use it.

I don't know. Like I said, I'm still debating what I will do.

Thank you again,
    Wendy
    Dual passports is no problem Wendy, leave on US, arrive on Thai, check in on US, leave on Thai, arrive on US.

As long as both countries recognise dual citizenship, no problem!

Thanks

talking Re: Obtaining a Thai passport and id card?

Hi,
    Thank you David and Peterg for clearing that up for me.
    Hi Wendy,
    I don't think your mom will have difficult time getting Thai ID card while in Thailand. She'll have to go to Amphur with her birth certificate and house register (and I forgot what else, please check with them), the Amphur she goes to should be in the same amphur/province/city as the house that has her name registered as resident. She can then have her Thai passport made at the Thai embassy. After that YOU and your children can start the process of getting Thai ID and passport (you'll need copies of your mom Thai ID card and passport to do this process). You'll have to request to get Thai birthcertificate first.
    I think your mom should get this done first then buy the house and put the house in her name and later when you get your Thai ID card/passport you can have your name put on the house register so when your mom pass on you will inherit the house. If you choose not to when your mom pass, you will have to sell the house as without Thai citizenship you can not own.
    In my opinion and experience, it is not always a good idea to put large purchse such as house on relative's name no matter how close and loving they are, things change, they can pass on, their children can inherit, bad feelings can occur, etc. then you will lose valuable family members/relatives.
    Just by having Thai ID card and passport doesn't mean you'll get things cheaper in Thailand. I think it is individual thing, when my family and I come to Thailand we don't bargain too deeply, just enough so we don't get taken advantage of, we usually pay a little more just to help them out. I feel we have so much in the US when we go to Thailand and spend money, we are helping the people and the economy in Thailand.
    P.S. I just recently got my passport and have not travel with it yet, I will use it when come to Thailand next month and see how it goes. Just to be on the save side, I will bring both passports.

Thread Information