PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Living in the country
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Living in the country

I've lived in Asia for 16 years, Thailand 2 1/2, am married to a Thai and have been thinking more and more of eventually moving to the countryside.
    Of course I see the pros: open roads, fresh air, quiet, simple living (yes, that's a pro for me), cheaper cost of living, etc.

But, however minor, what are the drawbacks?

Thanks

Re: Living in the country

I hope you have been reading other messages regarding living in Thailand as well. I was thinking of coming to study in Thailand too; however, at the moment, I'm not so eager of coming to Thailand any more.

First, it seems Thais have different perspectives about human rights from what I do. But I understand the differences between the East and the West; hence, this is "my" own drawback; I will not be happy and probably get clubbed to death before reaching my full maturity...heh heh.^_^

Second, I can't stand "mai pen rai"; I faced this word in nearly every matter when I was visiting Thailand. Even when one of the rich took 2/3 of tobacco bags from the farmers, most Thais told me "it's been like this for decades, mai pen rai, khun tong jai yen yen". grrrrrrrrrr...Nope, can't do!

Well, I have to study for my midterm; otherwise, I will rant more. Just go through stuffs related to your topic, you will probably have more ideas. Stay cool^_^
    Last edited by erynnbanks; 19-10-07 at 08:21 AM.

Thanks

Even when one of the rich took 2/3 of tobacco bags from the farmers, most Thais told me "it's been like this for decades, mai pen rai,
    I don't understand the meaning of this, What do you mean?

Was this because of share cropping?
    I will not be happy and probably get clubbed to death before reaching my full maturity...heh heh.^_^
    Yes, it would be better to stay away if all that you would be coming here for is to rabble rouse and stir up trouble and indecision.

Sparky
    Really NONE, except that farang food and other things are harder to come by, And not all that clean air really, but not the pollution that is caused by cars and not the availability of night life, But just to live a little slower life it is great.
    I would not live anywhere else but the "countryside" as you call it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by erynnbanks View Post
    Second, I can't stand "mai pen rai"; I faced this word in nearly every matter when I was visiting Thailand. Even when one of the rich took 2/3 of tobacco bags from the farmers, most Thais told me "it's been like this for decades, mai pen rai, khun tong jai yen yen". grrrrrrrrrr...Nope, can't do!
    Erynn,

My mom has this attitude for some things. But, that woman has a TEMPER to fear!

On one of her visits, we got into an argument over a silly matter. The next thing I know all my Rosa Sharon bushes were de-limbed except for the tippy top.

Glad I wasn't a man. She's holds nothing back with them! Another time, we had a conversation when I was newly wed. I told her how much I loved my husband. Shortly thereafter, my husband innocently comes into the kitchen where my mom was chopping meat. She held up the butcher knife and threatened to chop him up in little pieces if he ever cheated on me. Go Mom! We don't call her the Crazy Asian for nothing!

However, when it comes to real life issues. The ones you would think she would get worked up over.... Well, she takes that attitude. A family member borrowed a lot of money from her and never paid it back. She has never thrown it in this person's face. She will give you the clothes off her back if you needed it. People are more important to her than money. I am quite humbled by her generousity and forgiveness.

I've learned that I can't care more for someone's problems than the actual person. I get too frustrated. And, it usually doesn't help the person anyhow. It's better to exhale and let it go. It is what it is.

Wendy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    When I go stay in our village the only drawback for me personally is the none availability of milk. Sure, you can get little bottles (I would drink more in one go) in the 'local' shop (a few kms away), but in Wales I live alone and go through 10-12 pints of milk a week.

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks

no 7-eleven in the vicinity? that must be in the country

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by David_Loves_Ubonwan View Post
    When I go stay in our village the only drawback for me personally is the none availability of milk. Sure, you can get little bottles (I would drink more in one go) in the 'local' shop (a few kms away), but in Wales I live alone and go through 10-12 pints of milk a week.

David
    10-12pts! Strewth, David-thats a lot of milk-hope its semi-skimmed!-I get through about one quarter of that a week.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Betti View Post
    no 7-eleven in the vicinity? that must be in the country
    I believe it's a 7-Eleven that is a few kms away.

In all the time I've spent with Ubonwan I've only seen her drink milk once, she says milk is only for babies.

Quote Originally Posted by Khun Don View Post
    10-12pts! Strewth, David-thats a lot of milk-hope its semi-skimmed!-I get through about one quarter of that a week.
    No it's full fat!!! And I'd probably get through more but it's so heavy and a 4 or 6 pint bottle is the most I can carry home from a shopping trip.

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks

I remember well when milk was first introduced in Taiwan and we had to teach the kids (4-6 year olds) what it was and how to drink it and that it was supposed to be good for them. thank god Thai kids are already familiar with milk and yoghurt and they all love it.
    sorry

the reason why I would not move out of the city is simple: colleagues who live in the suburbs regularly show photos of the pythons, scorpions, poisonous centipedes, giant ants invading food and trash, cobras, etc, taken in their gardens or kitchens. and that's just the suburbs of Chiang Mai - you can count on a scorpion every two months or so. and the python swallowed a small dog. no thanks

Thanks

Struth, Thai do not drink milk, Wifes daughter didn't when she was 11 years old, I couldn't get milk at the market that was fit to drink, they did have a few kinds but it was all sweetened and flavored and I would n't buy it and the kid didn't like it.
    I bought milk by the gallon from a dairy and made her drink it, not enough really but 2 large glasses a day, she started to grow and soon she was the tallest kid in her group, she is 18 now so it is up to her what she does, but she will still drink some milk but we are down to 3 qts. a week, My wife does use some milk, I drinks a couple glasses a week and now with a Tesco store there are a lot of brands in pint, quart and 1/2 gallon bottles, some still sweetened and some just plain 2% and 100% whole milk,, most brands are not consistent in flavor and sometimes nasty stuff, but CHOKCHAI is mostly good milk.
    And 7/11 is 5 miles to the closest one and they have no good brands and is mostly sweetened/flavored or UHT, which was all we could get before Tesco.

Been 3 years since we caught the last Python over 2 1/2.M. and only 1 small cobra in the last few years, a few Takap on the back desk, and the scorpions are not real deadly kind here like the Bark scorpions in Mexico were,But we put thresholds under the doors when we built the new house and none come in,, and it sure beats living in a city, I never rue the day that I moved from Chiang Mai to Nongua, Phetchabun

Thread Information