PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Living in the country - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Rochford, Essex, England, but my heart is stil in Doilo!
    Thanks

Re: Living in the country

A couple of frogs under the fridge, but with seven dogs there is not much else that bothers us here!
    Unlike FIP I tend to live on the local grub, but a weekly trip to Tesco seems to be a must nowadays.
    Biggest problem is I cannot convince the family of the need for a landline for my internet, they say I cannot afford it!
    (Tonight is the best connection I have had in a very long time!)
    To be happy with where you are, first be happy with who you are.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by khunlungphudhu View Post
    A couple of frogs under the fridge, but with seven dogs there is not much else that bothers us here!
    Unlike FIP I tend to live on the local grub, but a weekly trip to Tesco seems to be a must nowadays.
    Biggest problem is I cannot convince the family of the need for a landline for my internet, they say I cannot afford it!
    (Tonight is the best connection I have had in a very long time!)
    In our home they would soon end up in the large stone water jar father-in-law keeps his frogs in. He's quite partial to his BBQ frogs...

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks

NOPE, do not have to eat Thai grub, ,My supplier just sent me a case of Washington state reg. cut 3/8 inch frozen french fries, 2 - 5 kilo turkey breasts [norbest] and 20 kg of 2 cm thick NZ beef ribeye steaks and a case of sliced pickled jalapenos.
    So the Thai grub can wait.

Thanks

where can you find turkey?? have been hunting for some two years. nobody has seen turkey around here, only at Thanksgiving and Christmas, when all restaurants seem to get a good supply. then nothing.

Thanks

OK, so I reckon you definitely need wheels to pop off to the nearest city once a week or so to stock up at Tesco ... and a big American-sized fridge in the house for the milk and frozen French fries.

Seems like internet connection is OK at least in some places otherwise there would have been no replies.

In the few times I've stayed out in the country, it seems very friendly with no hostility towards farangs being there, at least where I stayed. I think it would also be a good opportunity to take up gardening again.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    OK, so I reckon you definitely need wheels to pop off to the nearest city once a week or so to stock up at Tesco ... and a big American-sized fridge in the house for the milk and frozen French fries.
    We get by very happily without any Farang food except teabags. In fact, to the best of my knowledge, there isn't a Tesco in Buri Ram. Though there is a KFC. But Buri Ram City is nearly an hours drive away.

Seems like internet connection is OK at least in some places otherwise there would have been no replies.
    But I'm replying from Wales.

In the few times I've stayed out in the country, it seems very friendly with no hostility towards farangs being there, at least where I stayed. I think it would also be a good opportunity to take up gardening again.
    That depends on the Farang... There is a Farang in our village that causes hostility towards himself wherever he goes.

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks

Yes altho my food stuffs I buy comes by VIP bus from BKK in box packed with dry ice, we live in a village 11 km from town and need a car anyway as my wife's school is 50 km from our house and she drives to work daily, and this not being a true 3rd world country most do have transport. And Tesco just opened here this year but they are building a Big C and some other super mkts.
    We do have a big fridge and 2 large aircons, and a freezer along with a roof water catch system, a farang type in the house kitchen, insulation in the attic and screened windows, Sat TV and computers with ADSL, and hot water heaters for the showers as well as toilets in the bathrooms.
    And due to the fact that there are Thai resturants in most countrys where I have lived, I see nothing strange about us eating farang style foods if we want, some Thai that live in Los Angeles eat nothing but Thai food, and mexicans eat only Mexican food in the states as well.

I have been in this village for 5 years and I have many Thai friends here and have no problems and anytime I need a hand the folks here are more than ready to jump in and help.

Betti,
    where can you find turkey?? have been hunting for some two years. nobody has seen turkey around here, only at Thanksgiving and Christmas, when all restaurants seem to get a good supply. then nothing
    I get all my farang imported food stuff from Siam Food Services in BKK with 1 day delivery by blue bus, I pay 200 baht a kg for ButterBall or Norbest turkey breast or 165 for whole turkeys. Beef, lamb, or Venison comes from Argentina or NZ or Aust. But a friend of mine in CM says that they have turkey at Rimping.

Last edited by FaranginPhetch; 21-10-07 at 11:27 AM. Reason: add pic

Thanks

haven't seen turkey at Rimping but will check again, thanks

Thanks

well I am coming up the first of the month and if you can't find it and want one I can bring it when i come, it would only be out of the freezer for 5 hours or so and in a styrofoam box would still be frozed hard in that length of time, so let me know so I can order one for you.

Thanks

really nice of you to offer, problem is, I only have a rented apt. with a tiny freezer that doesn't really work well (definitely not the standard -18 degrees,it's around -4 I would rather say), so meat and other perishable stuff only survive a day or two, have to buy small packets. but haven't even seen a big packet of turkey. a colleague knows of a place around Chiang Mai to buy them whole, but I guess a whole turkey wouldn't fit into my room let alone the freezer. thanks anyway and sorry for threadjacking.

Thread Information