Thanks

Buying Contact Lenses and Glasses in Bangkok

Hey All

I am travelling to Bangkok end of November for 5 days, have been there a few times before and is there anyone who can recommend where to purchase acuvue contact lenses and a good place buy stylish and inexpensive glasses.
    I will have a prescription from Australia with me....any tips would be appreciated, .............

Thanks
    Oshanna

Thanks

Re: Buying Contact Lenses and Glasses in Bangkok

Quote Originally Posted by Oshanna View Post
    Hey All

I am travelling to Bangkok end of November for 5 days, have been there a few times before and is there anyone who can recommend where to purchase acuvue contact lenses and a good place buy stylish and inexpensive glasses.
    I will have a prescription from Australia with me....any tips would be appreciated, .............

Thanks
    Oshanna
    As you have been here before you would probably have noticed that there are optician's shops everywhere in Bangkok, some are better than others however.

http://www.paris-miki.com/ are in my opinion very good.

Thanks

i just came back from bangkok a few days ago and bought 2 pairs of glasses, 2 pairs of sunnies & 2 pairs of contacts. there's optician's everywhere.. almost as many as the 7/11 LoL.

1. Tag Heaur semi frameless (flex sport vision) with the best lenses apparently(triple layer uv protection, made in France apparently) Retailing for 18,000 THB & I Paid 10,000 THB & 2 Pairs of Maxim coloured contact lenses for 960THB and got 2 x 60ml solution for free from The Optical Shop in MBK.
    2. No brand glasses with the best lenses available (but look very nice) Retailing for 9000 Baht & Paid 5000 Baht (probably would have got it cheaper) & Diesel & Calvin Klein Sunnies Retailing for 8000 THB each & I paid 8000 baht for both. From Eye Lab in Central World.

BTW - All the shops we went in to can test your eyes for free within a few minutes & make your glasses within the hour. I was very impressed about that.

I hope the products I bought were original and not imitation!!! But I think they're originals since Central World & MBK are quite big shopping centres.. then again you never know!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,033 Times in 1,365 Posts

Interesting. When I made similar enquiries in Chiang Mai in 2004, single lenses were very cheap-but bi-focals and vari-focals I could get cheaper in the UK-anyone know if this has changed?

Thanks

I know I can buy glasses in USA cheaper than I can here, better quality lens and a sight better prescription acuracy that I have got here.
    Plus I have had my eyes and glasses checked numerous times and one pair made and they were worse to see thru than my old glasses, which by the way, they say they are a perfect gring for my sight, but I have had them for over 10 years and I can not understand why my eyes changed every couple of years in the states and have remained the same for 7 years here..

I would suggest that you get your glasses somewhere else besides Thailand,, root canals might be OK here, but I would question anything else.
    I do know that dentures are not that good a deal here, 10 years in the states before the teeth would wear to much, here within 2 years they are worn out.

But I have to agree stuff here is somewhat cheaper, both cost and quality.

Thanks

One thing to make note of...buying frames for glass lenses can be difficult. It's best to start over with a whole new set. My frames broke on my flight into BKK, so my first day out I went to Siam to several eye shops. They couldn't find frames to fit my narrow nose bridge AND fit the exact layout? (perspective? what's the word) or my lenses. Any of the frames I tried on in the Siam area could be made to fit my nose, but my lenses would have been off-center, or off their perspective.

However, they jimmied things around and found pieces here and there. I was in one shop for about a half an hour and they finally came out with perfectly functioning (and not altogether unstylish) glasses. They didn't charge me at all...

Thanks

Thank you to all for your help and feedback! Anyone out there buy contact lenses??????????????????????

Thanks

Does anyone know if you can buy contact lense solution in Bangkok? Are prices comparable to the US?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,033 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calilaine View Post
    Does anyone know if you can buy contact lense solution in Bangkok? Are prices comparable to the US?
    See post #3 above- the optician mentioned is probably a good place to start.

Thread Information