PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Chiang Maiís air pollution fixable by 2011
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

The cityís Natural Resources and Environmental department has come up with a plan to solve the air pollution problem which became a crisis earlier this year costing the city and province millions in lost revenue.

The four year plan that can be instituted as early as next year will take four years to resolve if the nationís Cabinet approves the plan.

A long list of local and provincial officials gathered to discuss and exchange ideas during their summit named ďThe Committees of Chiang Mai to solve problems of air pollution and wild fires.Ē They came up with a plan to be called ďOperations for Air Pollution and Wildfires.Ē

Mr. Puchong Insompan, an officer for the Chiang Mai Natural Resources and Environmental department said that the causes of pollution and wildfires have been determined and now a long term plan must be put into place in order to avoid another crisis.

The system of procedures was designed by Mr. Pairot Saengpoowong, Deputy Governor of Chiang Mai and chairman of the plan. The committees involved consisted of locals officials from the Provincial Administrative Office, Protection Against Disasters and Resilience of the System, the Provincial Police, the Traffic Department, Industrial Offices, the Public Health Office, the Agricultural and Cooperative Organization, Highway Districts 1-4 of the Department of Highways, Chiang Mai University, Rajamankla University of Technology in Lanna, Regional Environmental Office 1, the Land Development Station, the Provincial Administrative Organization, the Chiang Mai Municipality, the Sub-district Municipality, all Sub-district Administrative Organizations, and the public sector.

The project, if approved by the Cabinet in Bangkok, involves the following procedures which the committee says will eliminate air pollution and wild fires in Chiang Mai - support for learning and creating a cooperative network link, the integration of operations, follow up, control and evaluation. Control and reduce the quantity of dust in the city, control open air burning of garbage in agricultural areas and in the city, increase fire fighting efficiency to put out wildfires, and educate residents about the causes and effects air pollution.
    The study has been submitted to Vice Primer Minister Mr. Paiboon Wattanasiritham who will submit it to the Cabinet for consideration and possible approval.
    Thai News/Chiangmai Mail

Thanks

Re: Chiang Mai’s air pollution fixable by 2011

geeeez. apart from setting up committees, subcommittees, advisory boards, chairmen, and no doubt assigning appropriate budget to pay for these officials, has anything been proposed? something along the lines of "let's do something with the zillions of songthaews running around and around in circles, empty most of the time"? "let's crack down on deforestation"? anything simple and straight-forward? specific? what's been listed in this article is nothing specific (integration? control? educate the public? control the quantity of dust?), and knowing Thai-style meetings and committees (bullshitting), well I don't have high hopes.
    or maybe I'm just having a pessimistic Tuesday. haha.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Re: Chiang Maiís air pollution fixable by 2011

How many times have we heard the same proposals for Bangkok's traffic problem? I won't hold my breath. Or maybe I should if the pollution is as bad as they say.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Re: Chiang Maiís air pollution fixable by 2011

Betti, Your comments about committees, sub-committees etc etc was what struck me when I read the article-all I can see happening is more pollution in the form of hot air being generated by these people. I also wondered how many hours it took to come up with the name of the plan-and at what cost in expenses etc to the local taxpayer!

Thread Information