Thread: Buying DVD's

Thanks

panic Buying DVD's

How do I ensure that a DVD I buy is not one that someone has taken a camera into the movies and recorded it that way ??? is there a symbol or sticker on dvd's that are legit that I should look out for?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,179 Posts

Re: Buying DVD's

Buy from a shop and not from a market/street stall. If someone is prepared to sell fake DVDs what is to stop them faking a sticker or symbol on it too?

David

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Even the shops can have fakes. And fake hologram stickers. Just ask if the DVD is a "master". However, "master" in Thai means "copy of master". But it won't be a DVD shot by a guy in the cinema. Better still, go to retail chains like Mangpong that only sell originals.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Barrow View Post
    Just ask if the DVD is a "master". However, "master" in Thai means "copy of master".
    I think the word is actually "mud-ter".

Thanks

If you are going to buy from a street stall, just don't buy the movies that are still in the cinema or not in the cinema yet - they will always be wobbly hand-held-filmed-in-the-cinema-with-the-heads-of-people-going-to-the-toilet quality.
    Once they have been on general DVD release for a month or so, even the st stalls upgrade their wares .... so I'm told.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,179 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    If you are going to buy from a street stall, just don't buy the movies that are still in the cinema or not in the cinema yet - they will always be wobbly hand-held-filmed-in-the-cinema-with-the-heads-of-people-going-to-the-toilet quality.
    Once they have been on general DVD release for a month or so, even the st stalls upgrade their wares .... so I'm told.
    That may be your experience but I think you are wrong to use the word 'always'. We have never had such bad quality, and for example we bought King Kong during the first week of January 2006 in Buri Ram. It was not released on DVD in the US until late March 2006 and in Europe in early April. We got it 3 months before it became available in UK and it was perfect and had Thai subtitles.

David

Thread Information