PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
My computer is dying, help me please.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

My computer is dying, help me please.

I am not asking for money.

Seriously I am having some major issues and I don't know what is causing them. When i watch Flash videos my computer stutters and freezes, then skips through out the video. Youtube is totally worthless to me, any flash video in fact even the one I uploaded in the other forum. It does this with flash games too, anything flash. I was recording through my sound card and my microphone does that same skipping and after 5 seconds or so through the recording it is just garbage. Then what really is getting to me is when I run videos on any player (even VLC) the videos skip and run slow until I finally just close the program.

I have run all virus scans, all mal-ware scans tested my memory for errors, tested my hard drives for errors, de-fragged all drives and reinstalled XP. On a fresh clean install of XP it still does this. Does anyone have a guess what it could be?

3.0 Pentium with 1.5GB of ram and 8500 nVidia PCI card.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Re: My computer is dying, help me please.

IGNT
    Graphics card problem(s)?
    Have you removed it or has the base unit had a knock lately-checked it is seated properly?
    Are you running latest drivers?
    Does your M/B have onboard graphics-if so try uninstalling card and running stuff within capabilities of onboard graphics to check the card is not the culprit.. Failing that, do you have access to another PCI-e graphics card?
    Last edited by Khun Don; 30-11-07 at 05:33 AM.

Thanks

I don't think it is the video because I just got that card over the summer, that and the fact that the voice recording is messed up too. :(

I think I might be close to something. My hard drives never stop spinning. I am looking into that right now.

Thanks

IGNT,
    Many times problems are caused by letting Windows assign IRQ's automagically. A common problem is having the sound card share the same IRQ with the video card.
    You can view what IRQ is assigned to each device by going to Start-All Programs-Accesories-System Tools-System Information-Hardware Resources-IRQs

Here is what mine looks like. I would pay particular attention to what is sharing IRQ's with the sound cardand video card, as that is a common problem area. Most BIOS's allow manual assigning of IRQ's , but it can be very tricky. Some research would need to be done on your particular model to see if it can be done.
    Hope this can help.

IRQ 0 System timer OK
    IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard OK
    IRQ 3 Communications Port (COM2) OK
    IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
    IRQ 5 SiS PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller OK
    IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK
    IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
    IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
    IRQ 9 SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK
    IRQ 10 SiS 650_651_M650_M652_740 OK
    IRQ 10 SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK
    IRQ 11 Realtek AC'97 Audio OK
    IRQ 11 SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller OK
    IRQ 11 Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC #2 OK
    IRQ 12 VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller OK
    IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
    IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
    IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK

Thanks

Since you reinstalled XP and performed a lot of good troubleshooting steps, I would suspect that you have an issue with your hard drive or motherboard.

Can you download and run HDtune from here: http://www.hdtune.com/ Post your temperature and test results. I'd like to see what they say. Sometimes hard drives may not show errors when scanning but you can see high temps and low bandwith. Enable SMART in the BIOS if you haven't done so already...

Thanks

Thank you MisterA and welcome to the forum! That was not the answer but certainly a good effort. Badfish I actually use Spinrite for most hard drive issues but will certainly give hdtune a try. I think I fixed it though. Will know for sure tomorrow when recording again. The Flash video is MUCH faster now though. Here Windows somehow automatically turned on Indexing. So XP was trying to index all of my drives all the time. That usually shouldn't impede the performance much but on my system it did. Probably because it was indexing 8 hard drives at once constantly rather than just one or two.

Will let you guys tomorrow if I need you to buy me a new Macbook Pro or not. Badfish I think I asked you before but are you the same badfish from youtube?

Thanks

Well-must admit would never have thought of that IGNT!
    Your comment about not being the video card because you bought it recently-put not all of your trust in new componenents ! From my (limited) experience, I find computer components either go to silicon heaven in the first 3 months or so, or work forever. Experience is based on a hard drive, a CDRW and a motherboard (and yes-it was fun trying to find out what the hell was going on in all 3 cases ) Hope you have solved the problem.

Thanks

Khun Don I will certainly keep that in mind while saving my receipts now! My luck is usually the part is DOA. It seems every time I buy a couple sticks of RAM I always end up sending one back for replacement.

Thanks

Sounds like you may bave found the problem IGNT. Another case of Microsoft just trying to help, by indexing all you drives whether you need it or not. Anyway, I hope it took care of the problem.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iGotNoTime View Post
    Khun Don I will certainly keep that in mind while saving my receipts now! My luck is usually the part is DOA. It seems every time I buy a couple sticks of RAM I always end up sending one back for replacement.
    Must admit, touch wood, I have never had problem with RAM-I always buy from a highly respected UK company called "Crucial" -might be known in the USA as Micron Technology -based in Idaho. OK, I pay more than some other places, but the product is consitently good.

Thread Information