PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Thai district rallies against move to ban dog meat
    Thanks
    Thai district rallies against move to ban dog meat trade
    AFP, 18/7/2003

BANGKOK (AFP) - Hundreds of people in a Thai district infamous for its love of dog meat have rallied against a proposal to ban the slaughtering and eating of man's best friend.

More than 300 dog traders and butchers in Tha Rae, a district in Thailand's impoverished northeast, gathered in the market place Thursday to demonstrate against new provincial governer Panchai Borvornratanapran's initiative.

They demanded to meet with Panchai, who vowed to end the controversial practice after assuming office in June, said provincial spokesman Raksit Wathayotha.

Representatives of the dog traders later held a meeting with Panchai who agreed to ask a local educational institution in Sakhon Nakhon province to conduct a public survey on the business.

"The governor said he doesn't want to impose the opinion of the entire province, which favours ending dog-meat trading, on Tha Rae people," Raksit said.

"He wants them to make their own decison and he will not object if the majority of Tha Rae people still want to practice dog meat eating and selling."

Tha Rae district, some 650 kilometres (405 miles) northeast of Bangkok, is renowned for its slaughter and sale of dog meat, with 300 to 400 strays illegally rounded up daily and culled in the trade.

Panchai said there are some 17 dog slaughter houses and 300 people involved in dog meat trading in Tha Rae, which exports up to 4,000 kilograms (8,800 pounds) of dog meat across the country every day.

Dogs are popular pets in Thailand and the majority of people find the practice of eating the animals repugnant. However, a sizable minority consider dog meat a delicacy.

Thanks
    Thai villagers vote to continue eating, selling dog meat
    AFP, 18/Aug/2003

Villagers in a district of Thailand famed for its dog meat industry have said they want to continue their trade in a survey that has reportedly forced their governor to abandon plans to close them down.

Tha Rae district in Sakhon Nakorn province, 650 kilometres northeast of Bangkok, is renowned for the slaughter and sale of man’s best friend, with 300 to 400 strays illegally rounded up daily and culled.

“From our survey of 500 villagers in Tha Rae on July 18-19 we found that 79 percent want to continue eating and selling dog meat,” Patchara Meeklang, assistant rector of the province’s Rajabhat Institute, told AFP.

The survey showed that 62.8 percent of respondents regularly ate dog meat, while 64.2 percent believed eating and selling the mutts was not tarnishing their district’s image.

Just over 90 percent said that if sales of dog meat were banned they would be adversely affected, it found.

Dogs are popular pets in Thailand and the majority of people find the practice of eating the animals repugnant. However, a sizable minority consider dog meat a delicacy. —AFP

Thanks
    Yes I have been trying to get kangaroo meat banned in Australia, and now it's become even more popular as it has a lower fat content than beef.

Thanks
    I have been told dog meat is especially fragrant and taste great in a stew. I know that in China, some provinces are also very liberal with regards to dog meat.

Thanks

shocked

I've never tried dog meat.. I see them on the streets.. dead LOL haha and I have one of my own... HEYY!!! LOL hahh JK JK.. I don't think I can eat doggies or kitties.. ahh that's just not my style... hmm.. never tried kangaroo either..

Thanks
    I love dog but not to the extent of eating them!~
    Live your Life to the Fullest.
    The Lonely Boxer.

Wanna

http://funimg.pchome.com.tw/img_uplo...044_104615.gif

Ferret Guest
    Paul I dont know how you have tried to get "jing jo" banned in Australia. That would be a monumentous job, it is slaughterd and eaten in every Australian state. The fact that it has absolutely no Cholesterol (same as emu )is the thing that makes it a healthy and desirable to some.
    Keep campaining if you like but again for you a lost cause

Thread Information