PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Registering Foreign Marriage at Amphur's Office
    Thanks

Registering Foreign Marriage at Amphur's Office

My wife and I married in the States almost exactly four years ago. We are going back to Thailand next week to visit the family and we also want to take care of some legal business. My wife needs to renew her passport and we want to register our marriage and have her name changed on her passport. We are also going to give my stepchildren my last name. Additionally, my stepdaughter and her husband want to cede legal custody of our grandson to us so we can apply to bring him to the States to live with us.

My question, after all that rambling, is what specific documents I need to take the the Amphur's office. My understanding is that I need three official translations of our marriage certificate to register the marriage. As for the name changes, I assume that follows from registering the marriage. I suspect they will want birth records for everyone and my wife's housebook. As for the adoption of my grandson, I am really not sure. Both of his parents will be there to cede custody to us, so it is entirely voluntary and seen by both parents as being in his best interest. Have I missed anything?

We will be there for three weeks, so I don't want to miss anything and have to chase my tail for a week. We will be in Isaan. It is Amphur Sahatsakhan. We will be going to Khon Kaen to renew her passport. We also want to get a passport for my grandson. Thank goodness our next trip is designated as strictly a holiday!!!
    Life is learning. If you stop learning, you might as well be dead.

Thanks

Re: Registering Foreign Marriage at Amphur's Office

When my wife and I married in the UK we just sent her passport along with the marriage certificate to the Thai Embassy in London and they recorded the name change and wrote in the front of her passport and put an official stamp there aswell.
    As far as adopting your Grandson goes you should look into your own countries adoption laws.We were as a family having thoughts on bringing our Grandaughter to the UK as our adopted child,however according to UK law we would have to apply to adopt her in the UK and is quite a long and complicated proccess.

Thanks

Try and enjoy your holiday Vision, I know business and pleasure don't always mix, hopefully you can get every thing done in the first week so you can enjoy the remaining two weeks. I my self if I ever got married would hope my wife will keep her original name, I'm not into tradition my self and it's better in a divorce. Any way good luck, wish you all the best for your holiday.

Thanks

If you are uncertain just hire some agency to do the paperwork for you. I did this when me and my thaigf married in Thailand (we married there first) and tbh looking back Im *really* happy I did that

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sved View Post
    (we married there first)
    I presume you mean you then also registered your marriage in Sweden? In my country, UK, there is a law [Foreign Marriage Act 1970 (Amended 1988)]that if you marry overseas then the marriage cannot subsequently be registered in the UK. We just accept the foreign marriage certificate (with certified translation if not in English) as being the same legal status as a UK marriage certificate.

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks

Yes

Thanks

If I want to marry my gf in my country i need some docum. ( evidence that she not married ) What is name of this docum or form?Is it easy to make?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrki View Post
    If I want to marry my gf in my country i need some docum. ( evidence that she not married ) What is name of this docum or form?Is it easy to make?
    I think that is a question best directed to the authorities that register marriages in Serbia. If you were to marry her in Thailand you would have to type out a document called 'Affirmation of Freedom to Marry' and get it signed by your Embassy in Bangkok (or Indonesia/Burma in your case!) which then has to be verified by Thai Foreign Ministry. It may be something similar in Serbia involving your gf visiting the Thai Embassy in Serbia (do they have one?). But as it i something your local authorites want then I think the question best directed to them. Good luck for you both.

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks

Thanks to all who provided information and advice. Wheels up in five days!!!
    Life is learning. If you stop learning, you might as well be dead.

Thanks

visionchaser45. You aare attempting to move a mountain in 3 weeks. It's not going to happen. Re think your activities in this short period of time that you will be in thailand. Personally, I would say, to helll with all the required things to do. Just have your personal fun. Look guy, your being dragged into what you cannot reasonably do. I know about this stuff. These requirements that seem so good and right will take you to the grave a bit sooner then yu would want to go. Vision man, .....let it all go. Took another look at your post vision man. renew her passport? You are in LA./ consulate will renew her passport for her. Take another look . Has to do it in thailand? baloney... Fingerprints are now required to renew thai passorts in the US. Requires a personal visit. House registration now does not have her married name on it. Whoose name is on that house registration>>> Name change is confusing. But, I know something about it. I'll say that you will not be able to settle all things in 3 weeks. Don't know where or who you married. [B]ut, in all honesty, I would have a background check on her. 4 years is not a very long time for you to want to do so much in one gulp. Simply an opinion..
    Last edited by lenss; 10-12-07 at 11:06 AM.

Thread Information