PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
The use of in this line...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

The use of in this line...

I have been listening to a song by ʵ (Stamp) called Ҿѡ (Sala Pak Jai).

One line of the song is:

ԧ ԧ Ѻѹ

which I believe means something like:

'The truth is, you were never honest with me at all'.
    (Please correct me if I am wrong).
    or is it '...she was never honest with me...'

My question is, what purpose does the word serve in this line and would the line mean the same without it?
    ˹

Thanks

Re: The use of in this line...

Do you know more of the song?

I have a guess...although, I fully anticipate being way off...

Is being used in a more casual way with the pronoun switching to mean he? (We've had a lot of slangy uses of pronouns posted here lately it seems) and so would indicate... that he (that guy?)

So instead of 'The truth is, you were never honest with me at all'. Maybe: 'The truth is, he was never honest with me at all'.

..or she...

or not at all....

Thanks

I would say it's just a way of marking and emphasising the subject of the sentence, and so there's little difference in meaning if you omit it. I think your translation 'The truth is, you were never honest with me at all' is correct as is.

Thanks

Thanks for the explanation, Mike! (sorry if I sent you off the wrong track, Ivor)

Thanks

yeah. this is done in songs a lot.
    the can be added in to make the flow of the line better, or it can be added in to stress the . It kind of makes it sound like he's emphasizing what she did wrong. instead of "the truth is, you were never honest with me" it's like "it was you who wasn't honest with me"
    But like i said, that doesn't have to be the case, and he could just be adding it in to make it flow better without changing the meeaning.

Thanks

ԧ ԧ Ѻѹ
    I was also thinking that he's emphasizing it was her who was not sincere. To get the feel of this into the English translation, maybe you could say something like 'Actually, it was you who was never honest with me at all'

Thanks

look at that! jaibaan and I are on the same page....
    one minute apart.

Another possibility, by the way, is that he's marking the difference between two actions. This depends on the other lines of the song, though, like if the line before is:
    "I may have been busy, and didn't spend enough time with you" then this line would be:
    "But you were never honest with me"

Again, stressing the 'you'
    Last edited by roni; 11-12-07 at 03:52 AM.

Thanks

My thanks to you all for such a fast and helpful response. I had a feeling that it was a 'fill in' word to make the line fit the music...or as roni suggested, "to make the flow of the line better". I can now (sort of) understand how it also adds emphasis to 'you'. I have never come across this in text books or conversation, so maybe it's just used in writing, songs or poetry.

For interest, here is the verse in full.

ѹŧ ѡӤѭ
    仹͹ ͺѹ ѡѹ˹
    ԧ ͹ ԧ Ѻѹ

Thanks again.
    ˹

Thanks

I would say it's just a way of marking and emphasising the subject of the sentence, and so there's little difference in meaning if you omit it. I think your translation 'The truth is, you were never honest with me at all' is correct as is.
    I was also thinking that he's emphasizing it was her who was not sincere. To get the feel of this into the English translation, maybe you could say something like 'Actually, it was you who was never honest with me at all'
    yeah. this is done in songs a lot.
    the can be added in to make the flow of the line better, or it can be added in to stress the . It kind of makes it sound like he's emphasizing what she did wrong. instead of "the truth is, you were never honest with me" it's like "it was you who wasn't honest with me"
    But like i said, that doesn't have to be the case, and he could just be adding it in to make it flow better without changing the meaning.
    I'm not really sure if there's any contradiction between these or not, as we're all saying it's emphasising the subject of the sentence. I think if the meaning was really intended to stress "it was you not me" though, it would be ͹ or ͵ҧҡ or something similar instead. As you said there are a lot of songs that have this ͹ or ѹ construction, in the majority of them it seems to me just a way of emphasising the subject or added in to fit the flow of the music.

Thanks

I kind of agree with the idea of a filler word, because of the "ԧ " implies that it was her and not him. The sentence would still have the same meaning with or without .

Thread Information