PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Translation - Chemini
    Thanks

Translation - Chemini

Does anyone see any serious faults in this translation?

นักท่องเที่ยวแห่ชมฝนดาวตกที่เชียงราย
    Tourists flock to see meteor shower in Chiang Rai

เชียงราย 16 ธ.ค. - ชาวเชียงรายและนักท่องเที่ยวยังคงเฝ้ารอชมฝนดาวตกเจม ินิดส์ เป็นคืนที่ 2
    Chiang Rai 16 December - Chiang Rai residents and tourists are still waiting and watching to see the Chemini meteor shower for the second night
    ด้วยความหวังว่าอาจจะได้ชมปรากฏการณ์ทางธรรมชาติที่ป ระทับใจอีกครั้ง
    with the hope that they might see this amazing natural phenomenon for the second time.
    ประชาชนชาวเชียงรายและนักท่องเที่ยวจำนวนมากยังคงเดิ นทางมาติดตามรอชมปรากฏการณ์ฝนดาวตกเจมินิดส์ ที่บริเวณอาคารหอดูดาว
    Many Chiang Rai residents and tourists are still coming to see the Chemini meteor shower phenomenon around the observatory area
    ภายในมหาวิทยาลัยราชภัฏเชียงราย เป็นคืนที่ 2 ซึ่งได้จัดเจ้าหน้าที่ไว้คอยให้ความรู้แก่เยาวชนและป ระชาชนที่สนใจเรื่องระบบสุริยจักรวาล
    at the University of Ratchaphat in Chiang Rai for the second night, which has arranged for staff to provide information to youths and people interested in the solar system,
    พร้อมนำกล้องดูดาวมาไว้คอยบริการแก่ผู้ที่มาชมฝนดาวต กด้วย ซึ่งในคืนที่ผ่านมา (15 ธ.ค.) สภาพอากาศไม่ปลอดโปร่ง มีเมฆบาง ๆ
    along with providing telescopes for use by the meteor shower observers, who on the previous night (15 December) experienced unclear skies with many clouds,
    ทำให้ท้องฟ้าหลัว แต่หลายคนก็ตั้งความหวังว่า อาจจะได้เห็นฝนดาวตกเหมือนคืนก่อน
    giving a hazy sky. But many people hoped they might see the Chemini meter shower like on the night before,
    โดยผู้ที่มาชมฝนดาวตกได้เตรียมกล้องมาบันทึกภาพประทั บใจของฝนดาวตกเจมินิดส์ด้วย. - สำนักข่าวไทย
    with observers who had come to see the meteor shower ready with cameras to capture amazing photos of the Chemini meteor shower. - Thai news agency
    อัพเดตเมื่อ 2007-12-16 02:05:10
    Updated on 2007-12-16 02:05:10
    Last edited by jaibaan; 16-12-07 at 03:26 PM.

Thanks

Re: Translation - Chemini

the name of the meteor shower should be spelled with a G - Gemini

http://www.amsmeteors.org/lunsford/

Thanks

ภายในมหาวิทยาลัยราชภัฏเชียงราย เป็นคืนที่ 2 ซึ่งได้จัดเจ้าหน้าที่ไว้คอยให้ความรู้แก่เยาวชนและป ระชาชนที่สนใจเรื่องระบบสุริยจักรวาล
    at the University of Ratchaphat in Chiang Rai for the second night, which has arranged for staff to provide information to youths and people interested in the solar system,
    Not a significant point, but according to their website:
    มหาวิทยาลัยราชภัฏเชียงราย = Chiangrai Rajabhat University
    TK

Thanks

Thanks. Those names are always tough. I'm using the Thai to Roman program and it seems to generate spellings that more often than not aren't actually used in practice.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jaibaan View Post
    Does anyone see any serious faults in this translation?

นักท่องเที่ยวแห่ชมฝนดาวตกที่เชียงราย
    Tourists flock to see meteor shower in Chiang Rai

เชียงราย 16 ธ.ค. - ชาวเชียงรายและนักท่องเที่ยวยังคงเฝ้ารอชมฝนดาวตกเจม ินิดส์ เป็นคืนที่ 2
    Chiang Rai 16 December - Chiang Rai residents and tourists are still waiting and watching to see the Chemini meteor shower for the second night
    ด้วยความหวังว่าอาจจะได้ชมปรากฏการณ์ทางธรรมชาติที่ป ระทับใจอีกครั้ง
    with the hope that they might see this amazing natural phenomenon for the second time.
    ประชาชนชาวเชียงรายและนักท่องเที่ยวจำนวนมากยังคงเดิ นทางมาติดตามรอชมปรากฏการณ์ฝนดาวตกเจมินิดส์ ที่บริเวณอาคารหอดูดาว
    Many Chiang Rai residents and tourists are still coming to see the Chemini meteor shower phenomenon around the observatory area
    พร้อมนำกล้องดูดาวมาไว้คอยบริการแก่ผู้ที่มาชมฝนดาวต กด้วย ซึ่งในคืนที่ผ่านมา (15 ธ.ค.) สภาพอากาศไม่ปลอดโปร่ง มีเมฆบาง ๆ
    along with providing telescopes for use by the meteor shower observers, who on the previous night (15 December) experienced unclear skies with many clouds,
    ทำให้ท้องฟ้าหลัว แต่หลายคนก็ตั้งความหวังว่า อาจจะได้เห็นฝนดาวตกเหมือนคืนก่อน
    giving a hazy sky. But many people hoped they might see the Chemini meter shower like on the night before,
    โดยผู้ที่มาชมฝนดาวตกได้เตรียมกล้องมาบันทึกภาพประทั บใจของฝนดาวตกเจมินิดส์ด้วย. - สำนักข่าวไทย
    with observers who had come to see the meteor shower ready with cameras to capture amazing photos of the Chemini meteor shower. - Thai news agency
    อัพเดตเมื่อ 2007-12-16 02:05:10
    Updated on 2007-12-16 02:05:10
    hi jaibaan,

no i don't see any serious faults. however, i'll offer a few more pedantic thoughts/points to discuss:

1. your translation is very close and perhaps could be loosened up a little for a more natural result. for example, the following is a bit clunky. how can you make it sound less like a translation?

"Chiang Rai residents and tourists are still waiting and watching to see the Chemini meteor shower for the second night with the hope that they might see this amazing natural phenomenon for the second time"

(the last sentence is also quite awkward)

2. มีเมฆบาง ๆ ทำให้ท้องฟ้าหลัว
    the sky was overcast, with light cloud cover. (the บาง ๆ emphasises the lightness of the clouds, not the number of them).

again, in a more natural translation, the challenge is to find a way to mention overcast skies, light cloud cover and unclear skies without sounding like you're repeating yourself.

3. ซึ่งได้จัดเจ้าหน้าที่ไว้คอยให้ความรู้แก่เยาวชน

this one is even more pedantic, and i may be out on a limb here, but personally i'd treat the ซึ่ง here as a device that reporters use to string together ridiculously long sentences, rather than translating it as 'which'.

so, in the translation, i'd start a new sentence:

"Staff have been arranged to be on hand to..."

i'd take a similar approach to the ซึ่ง later in the article (ซึ่งในคืนที่ผ่านมา...)

"Weather conditions on the previous night..."

all the best.

Thanks

Thanks aanon. I guess if I were going to go with English syntax as I'm used to it, something like 'Chiang Rai residents and tourists are waiting and watching for the second night in hopes of seeing the amazing natural phenomenon of the Chemini meteor showers for the second time', leaving out some of the Thai. What I want to do mostly here though since I'm only at a low intermediate stage, is see if I understand all that is being said in Thai, by trying to put it all down where it is translatable, without too much regard for the suffering of English syntax. The line by line translation is exacerbating the situation as well, as I'm trying to keep the English for each Thai line right below, thus creating some strange English structures. But I think it will be easier to follow content that way. There is another translation coming up where they use ดังกล่าว a lot, but I'm just going to throw it in ad nauseam. So rather than issues of English style, I should have asked about missed or misinterpreted Thai, like the tips you gave below.

บาง ๆ - Good spot. I totally missed that

ซึ่ง - That's an interesting point, as I've always thought it had to be interpreted as a conjunction.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Thread Information