PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Calling overseas with Thai mobile number
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Calling overseas with Thai mobile number

My friend/girlfriend (i don't know what to call her for now) is a Thai and she is of course holding on to a Thai mobile phone.

I did the overseas calling every single time. It is pretty cheap in my country to call Bangkok with an international call card (SGD$0.30 when call is connected and SGD$0.07 per min rate) The only disadvantage is my number will not be shown on her caller id and I cannot do sms.

She told me calling overseas in Bangkok is expensive (i am not sure if she bothered to check for alternatives). So i decided that i should seek for her cheaper alternatives to call me.

So, are there very cheap ways in Bangkok to call overseas? Any card that she can buy like i do in my country? What is the rate like? Please help. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

Re: Calling overseas with Thai mobile number

Hi Johncjn

She would get a cheaper call rate by dialling 008 or 009 as the international access code instead of 001. For further details about this you might like to check out this recent post I made for details about it.

Personally if my wife wishes to speak with me she calls my number and waits for me to call her back - I see her number if she calls my mobile but not if she calls my home phone - I pay less than 2 Baht a minute to call her in Thailand from here in Wales.

David
    Last edited by David_Loves_Ubonwan; 27-12-07 at 12:04 AM.
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks

David, I thought you were living in thailand with your thai wife? How does 2 baht a minute fit in when your in wales? Would you not be paying in pounds or shillings. Or maybe euro's?? Maybe i'm missing something here. I use a fee plan. 2 cents per minute to bangkok and 4 cents for out up country. Its called penny talk....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

I'm living in Wales 10.5 months a year. I have a calling plan that is just under 2 pennies a minute but I guessed that the equivalent in Thai Baht would be more understandable to the original poster. I would have quoted in Singapore dollars if I knew what they were worth.

The plan I use charges 2p a minute to Bangkok, 4p a minute up country and also 2p a minute to mobiles (which my wife has - the nearest landline is a call box about 2 miles from our home). On top of these charges I have to pay 2p a minute in the week to reach the access number in London but I get the call to London free at weekends when we make our longer calls.

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions. Is there any sort of pre-paid card that i can buy for her to call me? Eg: For me, i purchase this international call card with a serial number on the card, every time i just need to dial a toll free number, key in the serial key then key in her mobile phone number to get connected to her. I don't want the cost of the overseas calls to be reflected on her phone bills.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I was going to ask David the same question. I know at 7-Eleven in Thailand you can buy international calling cards which you can use in much the same way as you said. However, I am not sure of the rates. David, do you know how this would compare to using a mobile phone in Thailand?

Speaking personally, I only use skype to make international calls. Computer to computer is of course free. However, you can buy skype credit to ring from your computer to a normal land phone. I bought $10 credit and even though I have talked for many hours, I still have a lot of credit left. I also find the quality much better than normal phones.

Thanks

Thing's with international calling are moving very fast. The break up of Ma Bell has spured the thing called competion. Personally, I can't wait until tomorrow. The next generation of internation call communication.

Thanks

David, hope your situation works out. That is, 10 and half months in wales and a month and a half in thailand. That distance and time do not bode well for relationships. Sorry guy, but that's what I see.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David_Loves_Ubonwan View Post
    I'm living in Wales 10.5 months a year.
    David, I sincerely wish that you can maintain your marriage with your beloved wife. I believe if both of you are true to each other, it is not the quantity of time that matters, it is the quality of time that is important.

Anyway, I went searching around and found this Thai Calling Card by CAT Telecom. It comes in values of 300, 500 and 1000 baht. The rates are pretty cheap, there is a comparison table on the website too. Can check it out. But then again, everything is a bit vague, never been to Bangkok before and not too sure how are they purchased.
    http://www.thaitelephone.com/EN/Prod...ecaec971187d15

Hope this helps a bit and hope someone can come out with a clearer and more comprehensive way to do it. thanks.

Thanks

Richard: I use my DTAC mobile to call home sometimes - I can never speak enough to get rid of the money I need to put on my account just to keep my number going (10 baht a day). so, I just call friends who cannot use skype or msn. don't know the exact rates but a simple 5-minute call can easily swallow up 250 baht. seems to be cheaper at night but I'm not sure. it's absolutely outrageous, but then, we have dirt cheap local rates, and I don't know another way to keep my number.

(btw, DTAC gives you double time if you top up your account before December 31 now! 60 days validity for a 300 baht card.)

Thread Information