PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Thailand Tops in Rare Type of Cancer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Thailand Tops in Rare Type of Cancer

Three villages in thailand's north-eastern province of Khon Kaen has the world's highest incidence of cholangiocarcinoma - a rare cancer of the bile ducts//, media reports said on Monday.

According to a recent Khon Kaen University study, the rate of cholangiocarcinoma in the three villages of Phai, Mancha Khiri and Channaburi - situated in the Shi River basin of Khon Kaen, 380 km north-east of Bangkok - is 118 people per 100,000, the highest in the world.

Khon Kaen University professor Banjob Sripha said the high incidence of the rare cancer had earned the district the distinction of being "the world's cholangiocarcinoma basin," said The Nation newspaper.

Cholangiocarcinoma is caused by trematodes - parasitical flatworms that live in the liver.

Some six million people in thailand, or 9.4 percent of the population, suffer from trematodes as a result of eating uncooked meat and fish, a popular dish especially in north-eastern thailand.

Of the six million Thais with trematodes some 97 percent hail from the North-east, The Nation reported.

"Larp," or uncooked pork, beef or fish that is eaten with a hot sauce and sticky rice, is unique to north-eastern cuisine although it is also popular in parts of northern thailand.

(Source: IANS) / Indo-Asian News Service
    bio-medicine.org
    Last edited by pclev; 31-12-07 at 01:59 AM.
    The Heart determines what is Possible by the Mind

Thanks

Re: Thailand Tops in Rare Type of Cancer

According to my wife the word "Larp" is not the best word to discribe this dish. She indicates that "Goi dib" (the dib indicates the meat is uncooked).

When you are making Goi dib use fresh beef, seasoning/spices, herbs, fresh blood, and piar. Piar is the partially digested grass/mash from the cow's second stomach. Yum. Yum.

The problem with liver and stomach worms are serious in the Northeast and in my opinion it may actually be the treatment of the worms that is creating the Micro-climate of cancer in the area.

Thanks

What is the normal treatment?
    น้ำผึ้ง

Thanks

The larp that I know of eaten by thai's is popular with the elderly thai/lao people. Lot's of garlic is added to cure the meat. (Well, that's what I'm told).. Nam, (sauge type) is widley eaten. We got alot here in Tacoma. Actually it's uncooked pork with garlic, pig ears chopped with other ingrediants and it cures for a time before eaten. I would think that both of these eaten raw type foods would cause a problem. I bought lot's of nam in the markets of thailand when I was there. Tast was pretty good and I don't remember ever getting sick oafter eating the nam. But, I often had that loosness.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nam phyyng
    What is the normal treatment?
    There are three types of medicines that I am familiar with (the Benda 500 seems to do the trick):

Fugaka: I am sure my spelling is wrong on this one.

Benda 500: ให้เคี้ยวยาก่อนกลืน รับประทานครั้งละ 1 เม็ด เพียงครั้งเดียว (Bite into pill before you swallow and only take one time to get rid of worms.) สำหรับพยาธิเส้นด้าย ตัวกลม (treats two types of worms). It is best to take Benda first thing in the morning and hold off on eating breakfast a little while. The little buggers will have a feast and you will have relief. Others like to take it at night before bed. Depending on your movement schedule the best time could be important to you.

Albendazole 400mg also know as Zentel. Take 2 tablets daily for 1 or 3 days. I think most people actually prefer Alben.

If you only eat cooked meat, wash hands regularly, drink only bottled water, and wear shoes everywhere except in the bed, then there is very little chance of having problems with intestinal parasites on a one or two month stay in Issan.
    It is kind of like learning to deal with the cobras: after you get the knack of it, then it becomes second nature. Mai mee baan ha.

The three main types of parasites in Issan are:

Hymenolepiasis Nana and Diminuta larval stage occurs inside insects and fleas (rats and mice) and if these insects are eaten, as in uncooked cereals, they can grow in the intestine and cause problems.

Diphyllobothriasis or fish tapeworm infection (intestine), Taeniasis Saginata or beef tapeworm infection (intestine), Cysticercosis (Cy) or pork tapeworm all come from animals that have eaten the eggs of these worms.

Echinococcosis (Ec) or hydatid diseases are caused by variety of worms infecting animals that ingest the eggs, such as rodents, dogs, sheep, cattle, and humans. They can invade and grow in many organs, such as liver, bone, heart, and brain.

Thanks

Well I must be Superman then.
    Because although I lived for nearly two years in rural Isaan and ate a lot of local food, wore thong sandals all the time, drank the local water (sometimes unboiled) and even once ate that awful raw congealed pig's blood dish and took no other health precautions of any kind (including no anti-malaria pills) I only ever got seriously sick once (gastro-enteritis). There were no lingering after-affects on returning home either. Other Kiwis working not far away from me in a similar environment (and with a similar disregard for precautions) had no problems either. I think its easy to get preoccupied with the health risk in LOS. I don't deny that there is a potential risk of disease (you didn't mention rabies!) but the chances of picking something up are slight out in a rural environment. Maybe different in the cities though!
    น้ำผึ้ง

Thanks

I have to agree with nam phyyng and lenss. I too have eaten it at minimum weekly since I was a young boy. I have never been sick. No parasites, no cancer and not even a hint of food poisoning ever. I am sure that the meat we buy and slaughter in the US could have less risk than the water buffalo of Isaan, but the preparation is the same. Same with the gelatinous meats (nam) we eat som moo and som bpaa and has never made anyone I know sick. I am sure improper care such as spoiling in the heat could hurt people, but the fact that the meat is uncooked I can personally vouch for the fact that if done right it is safe. My children consume loads of it too, but in the same breathe I certainly would not give it to a toddler because of an unfortified immune system.

As far as the term used, we use the term larb in our house. We eat larb moo, larb bpaa, larb goong,larb ped, larb gai and just plain old larb when beef. When it is raw with shrimp, fish, pork or beef (not poultry) it is dip. Perhaps it is just a regional difference.

Thinking it was regional I tried to search for the term, I thought perhaps pclev was thinking of another dish. I searched the exact match of "Goi dip"+thai+food and I got only one result, this thread. Pclev could you see if your wife can spell the dish she is talking about, because I am confused on it and now curious. I can't find in the dictionary either, my wife might know but she is sleeping at the moment.

Thanks

It appears the end it comes down to the animals and the statement of my meat being different from the meat used in Thailand. I am not a biologist but the treatment of the parasites I am also curious of. Is there a method to kill the parasites even found? I know not in humans, the only way to remedy the cancer is by surgery and radiation. I am talking about the animals before they are slaughtered, is there even a fix?

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Certain parasitic liver diseases may be risk factors as well. Colonization with the liver flukes Opisthorchis viverrini (found in Thailand, Laos, and Malaysia) or Clonorchis sinensis (found in Japan, Korea, and Vietnam) has been associated with the development of cholangiocarcinoma.[14][15][16] Patients with chronic liver disease, whether in the form of viral hepatitis (e.g. hepatitis B or C),[17][18][19] alcoholic liver disease, or cirrhosis from other causes, are at increased risk of cholangiocarcinoma.
    So if you are a drunkard you have increased your risk, ironic. It goes on to say if you have HIV or any liver abnormalities you would have increased risk.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nam phyyng View Post
    I think its easy to get preoccupied with the health risk in LOS. I don't deny that there is a potential risk of disease (you didn't mention rabies!) but the chances of picking something up are slight out in a rural environment. Maybe different in the cities though!
    'course, we Kiwis have tough guts. Before my recent visit to Thailand I happened in passing to mention my plans to my general practitioner. His expression immediately become sombre, and I'm reasonable certain he muttered something about my probable mental state. Within an instant I was shoved in front of his 'tropical disease' nurse and was loaded with sheaves of pamphlets on the risks of foreign travel and prescriptions for malarial prophylaxis medications and various forms of gut rot. I also had the lecture on only drinking bottled water and never eating raw fruit or uncooked vegetables, especially lettuce. During my visit I spent all my time with Thai friends and ate everything that was put in front of me, some of which I admit to not wanting to know its origin. I never once asked for the lettuce to be boiled, and I drank water from taps. My medication chest remained unopened until the last morning when at a hotel near the airport I had an American breakfast. By the time I was through the check-in my stomach was trying to turn itself inside out, and I dined on gut pills for the duration of the flight home.

Thanks

laap as it is eaten in Chiang Mai is definitely not raw meat. I am confused!

Thread Information