PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Teen 'body snatcher'
    Thanks

panic

Teen 'body snatcher' is TV target

The Nation, Published on Sep 15, 2003

The National Geographic Channel on October 19 will show a documentary featuring one of the youngest people to serve with Bangkok's legendary volunteer emergency response teams.

At 14, Kaewjai Lao-niphon is already a three-year veteran of her volunteer organisation, whose patrols rush to accident sites in the hope of offering first aid to victims, but all too often to collect their bodies.

"She's in one of our documentaries - 'The Body Snatchers of Bangkok' - and her life story will be broadcast worldwide," Bryan Smith, an executive at National Geographic Channel (NGCI), said yesterday.

Kaewjai said she was proud of her volunteer service, though it means she does not get to bed until 2am every day.

"It's worthwhile. Instead of playing or watching TV, I save lives," she said.

Up every day at 6am, Kaewjai goes to school and returns home in the evening. She then has until 8pm to do her homework. After that, her shift at the non-profit Poh Teck Tung Organisation begins.

The organisation recruits volunteers to provide emergency services. Its teams patrol the streets of Bangkok, ready to offer help in case of traffic accidents or other disasters.

"I'm the youngest at the organisation. My father also works there as a volunteer and he's my inspiration," Kaewjai said.

She said she first started accompanying her father to accident scenes when she was just nine years old.

"At first, I was scared of the blood and dared not look at the corpses," she recounted.

The 14-year-old said she finally overcame her fear by cleaning the bones exhumed from a graveyard in Samut Sakhon province.

"Now, I have more experience and more knowledge. I know how to administer first aid and how to move injured victims safely," she said.

The girl said her volunteer job also taught her about the dangers of drunk driving, which has claimed the lives of countless Thais, including a three-year-old boy she held tight in her arms while rushing him to a nearby hospital.

"He was still breathing when we arrived but he died later. It's all because his father was drunk while they were riding on a motorcycle," Kaewjai said. "It was terrible. When they told me he had died, I cried and cried."

But it was not enough to dissuade her from continuing her volunteer services. "I've received many "thank you's" from survivors. Their words make me happy," she said.

According to her father, an NGCI team followed Kaewjai 24 hours a day for more than a week last year to make the documentary.

Kaewjai's family is a rarity, in that all of its members have worked for the Poh Teck Tung Organisation.

Thanks
    When I was in Thailand I noticed Thai cars in general had a very low level of safty equipment built in. I was in the back seat of most Thai cars including Taxi's and they did not even have a safty belt in the back seat of cars that were almost new. In most western countries safety belts in the back seat were made law over 30 years ago.

Thanks
    For a 14 year old that is truly an altruistic accomplishment.
    Live your Life to the Fullest.
    The Lonely Boxer.

Wanna

http://funimg.pchome.com.tw/img_uplo...044_104615.gif

Thread Information