PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Kanchanaburi Area
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Kanchanaburi Area

Hi,
    We plan on taking a train or tour from BKK to KANCHANABURI and staying for 2 nights in Feb.
    Is all the following possible if we arrive in KANCHANABURI by noon on the first day:
    Kwai bridge, JEATH museum, Tiger Temple and ERAWAN Falls.
    Does anyone know whether the waterfalls at ERAWAN are worth seeing in February as far as waterflow?
    Any other suggestions?
    Thank you for any help

Thanks

Re: Kanchanaburi Area

Hi Tourer, I see you are still very keen on Kanchanaburi. Will you want to dump your bags in your hotel in Kanchanaburi first? I'd guess maybe. If so, given ur timeframe, I'd recommend after freshening up taking a hire car (no meter taxis there) to the bridge as a first stop, as it's only about 15 mins away. When there you can take a slow train over the bridge and back, which takes less than an hour. The museum is also here, then it's just a tourist/souvenir market. That would be a nice n easy first day.
    Otherwise if you can be sure of accomodation at Erawan, go straight there first for the early morning climb, as mentioned in my last post to you about this.
    The tiger temple, i think, is more or less equidistant from Erawan and the town, but either way you would need to arrange transport to it.
    Two nights is no fuss to see these places.
    Good luck.
    Dunno about good water flow but at least you won't be washed away by too much water.

Quote Originally Posted by 2000TOURER View Post
    Hi,
    We plan on taking a train or tour from BKK to KANCHANABURI and staying for 2 nights in Feb.
    Is all the following possible if we arrive in KANCHANABURI by noon on the first day:
    Kwai bridge, JEATH museum, Tiger Temple and ERAWAN Falls.
    Does anyone know whether the waterfalls at ERAWAN are worth seeing in February as far as waterflow?
    Any other suggestions?
    Thank you for any help
    Last edited by Sparky; 11-01-08 at 12:47 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Is all the following possible if we arrive in KANCHANABURI by noon on the first day: Kwai bridge, JEATH museum, Tiger Temple and ERAWAN Falls
    I would say no for sure. Both Tiger Temple and Erawan are out of town and time consuming. You would need to spend at least 2 hours at Erawan and that doesn't include travel time. I would the first afternoon do the Bridge, JEATH Museum, the War Cemetary and the nearby Museum which is better. Then book a tour the next day which includes maybe Erawan, Elephant/Bamboo Rafting and return on Death Railway. Or you can swop Elephant riding for Hellfire Pass instead. That is a full day.

The Tiger Temple is getting really bad press recently in the Thai papers. I am considering boycotting now.

I did a summary of what you can do at Kanchanaburi over at thai-blogs.com.

Thanks

Hi Guys thanks for this thread,its helped me make up my mind where I want to go near Bangkok and it has given me a good few pointers.

I ended up booking a triple room in the blue water guesthouse at 650 baht per night for four nights, they were kind enough to let the kids bunk in as well at no extra cover,however at these prices the kids be as well getting a room between them (one pre - and two early teenagers).

Just one wee question,would you reccomend the train trip or by bus for scenery as well as interacting with the locals ???

Once again many thanks

Frankie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    Just one wee question,would you reccomend the train trip or by bus for scenery as well as interacting with the locals ???
    If you've the time, and had never been on a train in Thailand, I'll suggest the train ride. Its cheap and passes by some beautiful provinces along the way.

Only thing is it gets kinda dusty throughout the journey. Bring along a hankie or something to cover your nose and mouth.

Thanks

Thanks bucky,

What station do we get the train from and would you recommend we book ???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    Hi Guys thanks for this thread,its helped me make up my mind where I want to go near Bangkok and it has given me a good few pointers.

I ended up booking a triple room in the blue water guesthouse at 650 baht per night for four nights, they were kind enough to let the kids bunk in as well at no extra cover,however at these prices the kids be as well getting a room between them (one pre - and two early teenagers).

Once again many thanks

Frankie
    take the first bus to Kan from the Southern Terminal and you should reach Kan in 2 hours; rent a taxi/tuk tuk and nego the price; depending on how many places you want to visit in the city.

spend a night in the city;

the next morning, take a large red truck to visit Erawan and remember to check the last truck from Erawan to where is your next destination;

or alternatively rent the whole large red truck for the whole day;

For Southern terminal, see here
    http://www.thailandqa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13570

Thanks

If you're looking for somewhere cheap but clean to stay then I would recommend the Jolly Frog. Rooms as cheap as 70 baht but you can get one with a fan, shower etc. for around 200/250.

The food there is lovely and has a great garden where you relax and watch the River Kwai go by.

They do the tours from here to the Tiger Temple and also Elephant Trekking/rafting although I would save this for Chang Mai if you are going there. Didn't make the waterfalls but it is meant to be spectacular. Hellfire Pass is a must and certainly opened my eyes to what went on.

If you go down to the Bridge you can barter with one of the local long boat drivers who will take you to the graves/monkey school/the caves etc. and is a great feeling going up the river with the bridge in view.

Plenty of ex-pats about to give you advice if needed Muzz in Rascals Bar or Tony in the Ugly Sisters will give you any help they can!

Thanks

take the first bus to Kan from the Southern Terminal and you should reach Kan in 2 hours; rent a taxi/tuk tuk and nego the price; depending on how many places you want to visit in the city.
    Okay got all that info on the new southern bus station.

One question on the thonburi railway station - How do I get there from central Bangkok ?
    I looked up the map and its on the opposite side of the river from the Banglamphu district (or so it appears).

Thanks

local buses are difficult to figure out even for long-term residents. I would say take a taxi, makes sense if you have luggage....

Thread Information