PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
The coms

Thread: The coms

Thanks

The coms

แต่อุดมการณ์นี้กว้างเกินไปสำหรับให้คำอธิบายสำเร็จร ูปแก่การปฏิบัติการต่างๆ เอาคนลงเผาในถังแดงเพราะ 'มัน' เป็นแนวร่วมของพวกคอมฯ มีคำอธิบายในตัวของมันเองพร้อมสรรพ ซึ่งหลายฝ่ายยอมรับได้โดยไม่ต้องพูดเลย แต่การยิงทิ้งผู้ประท้วงกลางถนนราชดำเนินหรือมัสยิดก รือเซะ ไม่มีคำอธิบายพร้อมสรรพแก่ปฏิบัติการเช่นนั้นติดมาด้ วย

my version:
    But this new ideology was too general to give a proper exlanation for [the military's] actions. It was ill-received (i don't know what this 'red bucket' thing means, but if they're burning it in a red bucket, it must be because they don't like it) by the communists (is that what a 'com' is?), who had their own explanations for everything that many groups accepted right away. But shooting and killing protestors in the middle of Rachadamnern or (?) mosque.. there were no expalanations for these actions.

your version (that shows me how wrong I am about everything):

Thanks

Re: The coms

roni...

where do you find this stuff? not exactly light reading! i'm not sure about the 'red bucket thing - literally it says 'burning people in a red drum', but perhaps names were burnt, perhaps it is figurative...?

แต่อุดมการณ์นี้กว้างเกินไปสำหรับให้คำอธิบายสำเร็จร ูปแก่การปฏิบัติการต่างๆ เอาคนลงเผาในถังแดงเพราะ 'มัน' เป็นแนวร่วมของพวกคอมฯ มีคำอธิบายในตัวของมันเองพร้อมสรรพ ซึ่งหลายฝ่ายยอมรับได้โดยไม่ต้องพูดเลย แต่การยิงทิ้งผู้ประท้วงกลางถนนราชดำเนินหรือมัสยิดก รือเซะ ไม่มีคำอธิบายพร้อมสรรพแก่ปฏิบัติการเช่นนั้นติดมาด้ วย

But this ideology was too general to provide explanations for their various actions. burning people in a red drum because they were communists was self-explanatory, but the execution of protesters at rachadamnern rd and the reusae mosque were never completely explained.

all the best.

Thanks

Thanks aanon. You've come to my rescue a lot!
    I find these in Matichon, mostly. I'm going through a bunch of opinion pieces on specific topics (the constitution, thaksin, policy reform) and the language can get very tough. I'm getting used to it, but I still come across these sections where I get confused with the wording.
    Thanks again for your help!

Thanks

Roni you're a legend. How come you are so good at Thai?
    น้ำผึ้ง

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aanon View Post
    i'm not sure about the 'red bucket thing - literally it says 'burning people in a red drum', but perhaps names were burnt, perhaps it is figurative...?
    It is really burning people in the red drum, I means people were really got burnt (and killed) in there, not just names. They refers to the situation in 70s. (you can read more here.)
    TK

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roni View Post
    Thanks aanon. You've come to my rescue a lot!
    I find these in Matichon, mostly. I'm going through a bunch of opinion pieces on specific topics (the constitution, thaksin, policy reform) and the language can get very tough. I'm getting used to it, but I still come across these sections where I get confused with the wording.
    Thanks again for your help!
    you're welcome roni, the sentences are at the challenging end of the spectrum for me too, so i'm happy to try to help. in cases like this, extracting a translation almost feels like doing a crossword puzzle, or untying a knot. it can be hard even to break up into sentences sometimes, and just misinterpreting one word can send you on a wild goose chase!

if you like, next time you could outline how you're breaking up the paragraph (split it into lines and phrases with literal translations) and we could assist at this stage then give you another chance to 'find' a final translation. if you see what i mean.

TK, thanks for clearing that up. you know, i asked some thai friends but no one knew about the 'red drum' incidents.

roni, are you at uni studying thai? what's your goal in your thai studies? you sound very motivated in your studies.

all the best.

Thanks

Thanks to TK also! I hadn't heard of that either. I heard more about the student uprisings, which I guess were more recent (although not by much, it seems).
    Nam Phyyng- thanks for the encouragement, but rest assured, I'm not all that fantastic. I start these threads for help, remember! I'm still slogging through the bogs of the Thai language.
    Aanon- I agree with you completely. I often see parts of sentences as separate clauses that change the meaning of the whole thing. It sometimes takes several read-throughs before I go "ooooohhhhhhh...."
    I took some thai classes while on exchange in Thailand a few years ago. I just want to keep it up because it would be a shame to lose it. The reason I'm motivated now is that I'm doing research on some specific topics at school, and I have to go through a lot of Thai articles for it. I guess it motivates me because it could throw off some of the work if the translations are wrong. It's also kind of interesting to learn a new kind of vocabulary, since my conversations tended to switch to english when politics or economics came up while I was in Thailand. It was too tough back then.

Thanks

Where did you do your student exchange?

Thanks

At Thammasat. They had an exchange with another university in my city, so I arranged the same type of exchange with my department. Great experience.

Thanks

Good school!

Thread Information