PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
going to live in Ubon Ratchathani Province !
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

going to live in Ubon Ratchathani Province !

Hello!
    I am going to live in Thailand for 6 months, being part of a volunteering program, and apparently I'll be living and working in the North-East. More precisely in Muang, in the province of Ubon Ratchathani. Does anyone live in (has anyone visited) that area ? How does it differ from the center of Thailand ? And what about the city of Ubon Ratchathani, is it as westernised as Bangkok (easy access to internet cafes, malls, big building, lots of trafic...) ? I can't find much information on websites.. I'd be glad to hear about other people's experiences with leaving there/volunteering

Thanks

Re: going to live in Ubon Ratchathani Province !

Ubon Ratchathani is a huge province. The town centre is well developed although it pales beside Bangkok. You can find the usual shopping malls, pubs, temples, restaurants and hotels there. There are several Internet cafes and the cost is cheap (10B/hr) compared to the rates in Bangkok. Once you are out of the town centre, it is not common to find big commercial buildings.

Thanks

Here is more information on Ubon. http://wikitravel.org/en/Ubon_Ratchathani

Thanks

Just out of interest, is the volunteering program AFS? There are quite a few AFS or other volunteer people around here - including myself I was in the Issan region too, though I have never been in Ubon.
    Welcome to the forums and feel free to ask questions!
    (Oh and I hope you'll stay around and tell us more about your experiences in LOS... especially good to have another Swiss person around here )
    life is wonderful!

Thanks

Friendly, not so crowded low-rise town with a big park in the middle and some quaint riverside restaurants (always a big plus to me). The province has a beautiful big national park, Pha Taem, bordering the Mekong too, with ancient rock paintings. Lucky you!!

Thanks

Yeah, I'm going there with AFS in 2 weeks! There is another swiss volunteer coming at the same time but i have no idea where about in Thailand he'll stay. So cool that there are other volunteers in the area My project will be in a hospital (related to child care) and in a school, but AFS hasn't given me more information yet.. I look forward to being there and discovering thailand myself, and thanks for your replies !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fruity View Post
    So cool that there are other volunteers in the area
    Oh.. I didn't mean to say that I am there now... I was an AFS volunteer in 2004. And here in the forums there are some people who also were in Thailand with AFS... but I'm not sure about volunteers in the Isaan area right now! Sorry if I wasn't clear
    life is wonderful!

Thanks

AFS

Thanks

I've never been there, but my son has. Is thinking of moving there from Korat. Says it's got a small town feeling and prices of things are, very reasonble. He thinks highly of the place. Massive province.

Thanks

I have a question on Ubon. I will be there in July with a group of 6 people aged 35-55. We dont want the steamy nightlife of Bangkok but we would like to find some decent bars to listen to music and drink. Anyone have any suggestions please?

Thread Information