PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Chiang Mai Governor issues public order prohibiting burning
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Rubbish incineration and deforestation also prohibited
    Staff reporters

As a result of increasing public concern about pollution in the city, its surrounding areas, and the province itself, the Governor of Chiang Mai, Viboon Sanguanphongs, has issued a public order prohibiting burning of all kinds in open areas. Rubbish incineration and the cutting down of trees are also prohibited.
    The order is highly specific, and is being sent out to all local administration organisations, and also to government agencies in the province.

Prohibited activities include waste incineration, the burning of twigs, leaves, agricultural residue and the burning of areas of forest. Officers are being sent out to instruct the public in alternative ways of eradicating or recycling waste, as recommended by the governor.
    The province has also designated certain areas as forest fire protection zones. It is hoped that officers will be able to persuade local people to abandon their traditional burning practices and replace them with new methods of waste management in order to produce fertilizer. Any breaches of the new public order will be severely dealt with under the law.

Pollution is caused by incomplete combustion processes forming carbon particles, combined with dust from roads and fields. During the dry and hot seasons, prevailing weather conditions favour the formation of early morning smog and air pollution, as an “inversion layer” of colder air traps warm air below it, preventing it from rising and dissipating polluting particles.

Recently, the Meteorology Department reported that the lessening of a depression over Thailand had caused increases in daytime temperatures in the upper regions of the country, but that the weather was still cold, with cloudy conditions, exactly the conditions which encourage the formation of an inversion layer and the resultant pollution.

Airborne pollution is able to travel great distances at altitude as a result of prevailing winds; an example of this being the huge decrease in already unsatisfactory air quality caused by the massive forest fire on the Burmese border during last year’s hot season.

Chiang Mai Mail

Thanks

Re: Chiang Mai Governor issues public order prohibiting burning

there wasn't much of a rainy season to speak of last year, plus the cold season is some 10 degrees warmer now, the hillsides are already as dry as they were in March last year. I wouldn't want to be around when the fires start again, I vividly remember not seeing the sun through the smoke.

Thanks

Posted the article with you in mind, Betti-not good for bronchial problems if the fires do start.

Thanks

thanks - it was ok last year, even forest fires are better though than a foggy, damp, cold winter in Europe --> that's always two weeks of pneumonia in the end. the high temperatures help me a lot. the smoke made me dizzy and gave me a headache last year. and it was ugly. and scary. the weather is soooo nice now, bright blue skies, perfect temperatures, if only it wasn't leading up to disaster again.

Thanks

Well, I hope the burning stops and anyone that breaks the law gets dealt with severly as threatened. I hope the situation that arose last year-which I remember well from the news reports-never arises again.

Thanks

Khun Don - I have such dreams but for some reason no hopes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Betti View Post
    Khun Don - I have such dreams but for some reason no hopes.
    I fear you may be right-but hopefully the local electorate will remind the Governor of his promise if need be.

Thanks

I wouldn't count on it much, remember this is Thailand.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FaranginPhetch View Post
    I wouldn't count on it much, remember this is Thailand.
    No, I am not counting on it, just hoping that someone has learnt something from the last episode. One has to remain optimistic-even if its Thailand

Thread Information