PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Hotels in Issan

Thread: Hotels in Issan

Thanks

Hotels in Issan

I was surprised to learn many people think the only nice Hotels in Thailand are in BKK or on the beach. Isan does not have a five-star hotel (that I know of) but there are some really nice places to stay while touring the old Khmer Ruins, touring giant candle carvings, or betting on the Elephant races.

Check out these hotels and prices:

Isan Hotel Finder
    Last edited by pclev; 16-01-08 at 11:05 AM.
    The Heart determines what is Possible by the Mind

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

Re: Hotels in Issan

i think one of the best hotels I have stayed in has been the Thep Nakhorn in Buri Ram City. Far better than a hotel I once stayed at in London (which will remain nameless) and had to pat the equivalent of 15,000 Thai Baht a night for a single room. For some reason the Thep Nakhorn doesn't appear on the Isaan hotel finder or other internet booking sites?

Conversely the Vongthong (sometimes called Wonthong) appears on most sites yet according to my wife it was closed down over two years ago, and certainly when we drove past it on two different evenings last February it was in total darkness?

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks

so happy! Re: Hotels in Issan

Can anybody kindly confirm whether or not the Vongthong Hotel is still open? I have just paid via the internet for three nights accomodation there (for later this month)!

Thanks

As of February 10, 2008 the Vongthong Hotel in Buriram was open (that was four days ago). It is a really nice hotel in any regards and exceptionally special because it is in such a predominately rural area of Thailand.

I have not heard of any reason to believe the hotel is not open; have you heard anything?

You should have a great stay.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pclev View Post
    As of February 10, 2008 the Vongthong Hotel in Buriram was open (that was four days ago). It is a really nice hotel in any regards and exceptionally special because it is in such a predominately rural area of Thailand.

I have not heard of any reason to believe the hotel is not open; have you heard anything?

You should have a great stay.
    See my post that is #2 in this thread, it was definitely closed 12 months ago and my wife tells me it was closed down by the police over two years ago. Presumably therefore it has recently re-opened.

David

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pclev View Post
    I was surprised to learn many people think the only nice Hotels in Thailand are in BKK or on the beach. Isan does not have a five-star hotel (that I know of) but there are some really nice places to stay while touring the old Khmer Ruins, touring giant candle carvings, or betting on the Elephant races.

Check out these hotels and prices:

Isan Hotel Finder
    For a five-star hotel in Isaan you could check out the luxurious Hotel Sofitel Raja Orchid in Khon Khaen, or the Sima Thani Hotel in Nakhon Ratchasima (Khorat), or the Nakhonphanom River View, in Nakhonphanom, or even the Laithong Hotel in Ubon Ratchathani.

There are a few five-star hotels in Isaan for starters.

David

Thanks

The reason the Vongthong Hotel was not open before is the owners ran out of money during construction. The outside was nearly completed but the inside was "hollow" except for the first floor which was being used as an Investor Magnet. The renewed ecomomic growth generated by the administration of that time in Buriram's economy created money to complete the project and the Hotel was opened.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David_Loves_Ubonwan View Post
    For a five-star hotel in Isaan you could check out the luxurious Hotel Sofitel Raja Orchid in Khon Khaen, or the Sima Thani Hotel in Nakhon Ratchasima (Khorat), or the Nakhonphanom River View, in Nakhonphanom, or even the Laithong Hotel in Ubon Ratchathani.

There are a few five-star hotels in Isaan for starters.

David
    I was just staying in that Sofitel a couple weeks ago, it's really nice, very friendly waitress girls, and cute, love the wifi in the lobby, and love the FOOD there, it's GREAT!!!! only thing that sucks, is like every hotel at night the lobby fills with billions of mosquitos

Thanks

Those mosquitos are permanent residents. Just got to make friends with them.

Thanks

The Sofitel in Khon Kaen gets my vote for a hotel, but I'd also strongly recommend renting a villa instead. This can be done for a couple of nights or more, and you end up with an entire house and private swimming pool, and even with superb meals and drinks included - this definitely makes more sense if you are two or more.
    Examples I've stayed at:
    Green Gecko
    Gecko Villa
    Then of course there are number of homestays or houses and apartments for rent: all I think are probably more interesting than a simple hotel stay.
    Last edited by yeows; 25-03-08 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Sorry, new members are not allowed to attach links.

Thread Information