PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
"The List": Festivals and Events in Isaan; Regular Updates
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

"The List": Festivals and Events in Isaan; Regular Updates

If you are currently living in Isan or spend a fair amount of time there, then we need your help!

There are hundreds of festivals and events in Isan that go un-noticed because there is such a limit on getting the word out about dates and locations. The more information we can gather on these events means the higher likelihood somebody visiting at the same time can experience a unique cultural event. For those that have been to a couple of these festivals I think you could see the value in collecting this kind of information.

After we know the event exists it will be much easier to find the dates and times for next year. The events will be posted on the Forum Calander and Threads that give insight to the event (before or after) will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    The Heart determines what is Possible by the Mind

Thanks

Re: Living in Isan: We need your help!!

Congrat's PCLEV for becoming an online staff member. You have very interesting posts.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

I don't know the date off hand but in the city of Sateuk (north Buri Ram) there are boat races on the river each November. I have not been but i am hoping to be in Buri Ram in late November this year.

Just south of Buri Ram City, at the Huai Chorakee Maak reservoir there is an annual kite festival early in the month of December.

And Surin has an annual Elephant round-up in the 3rd week of November.

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks

The Naga Fireballs Festival at the Mekhong in Nong Khai around the October full moon is the one I plan to visit this year.

The only other one I know of is the Candle Festival in Ubon Ratchathani.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

There are three I would like to visit: Ghost Festival, Surin Elephant Roundup and the Candle Festival. I think the Naga Fireballs has the potential to be disappointing. The problem with Isaan festivals is that they are so far away from home. I can't just go for the day.

Thanks

Phi Ta Khon festival in Loei

http://www.thaifolk.com/doc/phitakhon_e.htm

this link has a detailed description of what happens in the 3 days

Thanks

I'm going to risk being disappointed with the Naga Fireballs because it's such a unique natural phenomena. Tho I've heard it gets very crowded and it's hard to find accommodation.

Thanks

Richard said; "I think the Naga Fireballs has the potential to be disappointing".
    Ӽ

Thanks

Thanks Nam Phyyng .. did you read the post above that one tho? That's why I said I'd risk being disappointed.
    Last edited by Sparky; 18-01-08 at 07:11 AM. Reason: forgot tongue pulling

Thanks

Thanks for the help so far: here is a summary of the festivals/events already mentioned. Hopefully it will give an idea of where we can fill in the blanks. Any more details/discriptions on these or other festivals will be greatly appreciated.

March

March 6, 2008 at 18:17:17 (evening) Prasat Phnom Rung in Buriram, Sunset through the 15 doors (not associated with a festival) (yeows)

Here is a link to the 2008 schedule provided by yeows: Spring Sunset

End of March/Beginning of April: Pee Ta Khon Festival in the Dahn Sai District of Loei Province. This is a Three Day Festival with a parade and some really interesting cultural meanings to each of the Days/Events. (Betti)

Here is the Link provided by Betti again: Pee Ta Khon Festival

April April 3, 2008 at 06:02:32 (morning) Prasat Phnom Rung in Buriram, Sunrise through the 15 doors. The yearly festival will be held on this day. (yeows)

Here is a link to some information about the festival provided by yeows: Annual Festival

May

Bun Bang Fai Rocket Festival (various locations); please go back to David's comments on this festival: it is a must-see. (David)

Though countless villages observe the celebration, on various dates and the best organized is held in Yasothorn Province. This year the three-day blowout runs from May 10-12.

July

The Candle festival in Ubon Ratchathani for the holiday Khao Phansa on the Full Moon of July. I have seen pictures of this one and it is on my list. (Sparky, Betti, David)

September

September 9, 2008 at 05:56:40 (morning) Prasat Phnom Rung in Buriram, Sunrise through the 15 doors (not associated with a festival) (yeows)

Here is a link to the 2008 schedule provided by yeows: Fall Sunrise

October

October 6, 2008 at 17:54:09 (evening) Prasat Phnom Rung in Buriram, Sunset through the 15 doors (not associated with a festival) (yeows)

Here is a link to the 2008 schedule provided by yeows: Fall Sunset

During the Full Moon of October: Naga Fireballs Festival in Nong Khai at the Mekong River. (Sparky)

Here is a Thread Link with more details: Naga Fireballs Festival

November

Boat Races in Sateuk (North Buri Ram): Is this the one where they have the Farang Son-in-Laws racing (swimming) against an elephant for a prize given my a member of the Royal Family? (David)

Elephant Round-up in Surin during the third week of the month. (David)

December

Early in the month there is a Kite Festival South of BuriRam (city) at the Huai Chorakee Maak Reservoir. (David)

Events with no Dates

Ngan Hua Puk Gad Festival in Krasang, Buriram
    Last edited by pclev; 20-01-08 at 11:57 PM.
    The Heart determines what is Possible by the Mind

Thread Information