PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Don't sit on a Cobra
    Thanks

Don't sit on a Cobra

This post is actually more for fun than a need for higher education. The details are true: whether they are fact or not still remains a mystery.

On my first visit to my Thai Family's village in Southeren Isaan I had not been there an hour before my soon-to-be father-in-law wanted to give me the Cobra Training: being a displaced Farang I was open to all the help I could get.

First he explained to me that I did not want to go into the tall grass. It seems the King Cobras are able to extend 2/3 of their total body length vertically. They will hold in the tall grass for extended periods of time: swaying along with the breeze. If an ignorant Farang passes close to the snake it would "drop" on him/her and give them a bite.

Rule one: stay out of the tall grass.

Next he explained to me the Cobras will get into the shrubs during the evening for protection. If you walk too close to the shrubs, then the snakes will feel threatened and strike.

Rule two: only walk down the middle of a street at night (in clear view).

Finally, he told me the reason there was a light switch on the outside of the "out-house" was for Cobra protection. If you had to go during the night, then it was best to turn on the light and peek into the loo. The Cobras like the cool concrete and relative privacy of a good "out-house" it seemed.

Rule three: if you have to "go" in the night...hold it.

After many years of reflection I have come to two conclusions about the first advice my father-in-law gave me. Either he as truly concerned with my better well being or he wanted to make sure I did not get the urge to sneak to another Thai Lady's house in the middle of the night. In each case he was very successful: I have never seen a Cobra in the village and I never went to see another Thai Lady in the night.

It is true when you come across a snake the people of the village don't want you to kill it. The snakes eat the mice and the mice eat the rice; the same rice the people need to survive. It all seems to make sense the more you think about it.
    The Heart determines what is Possible by the Mind

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

Re: Don't sit on a Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by pclev View Post
    The Cobras like the cool concrete and relative privacy of a good "out-house" it seemed.
    Now I understand why Trangam (as he disclosed in another thread on snakes) had sat on a cobra in an 'outhouse'.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an idiot from any direction.

Thanks

Not sitting on a cobra seems like good advice to me. I was once squatting in an Isaan "outhouse" when I noticed a small brightly coloured snake (species unidentified) on the towel rack about 9 inches from my face. It sure accelerated the process!
    Ӽ

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

LOL, I hope you completed your business successfully, nam phyyng!

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an idiot from any direction.

Thanks

Now that I know somebody has found a snake in the out-house I will have to thank my father-in-law again for the good advice.

I believe if I found a snake this way I would have to hold it until I was in BKK at the least.
    The Heart determines what is Possible by the Mind

Thread Information