PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
When Brothers should marry their Sisters.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

When Brothers should marry their Sisters.

There was a wedding recently in a Southern Village of Isaan that merit mentioning. The Groom and Bride were Brother and Sister. I can hear the rednecks now asking what is wrong with that.

If this idea is not enough, then there is more: The Groom and the Bride were only seven-year olds.

I am not sure how widespread the belief is in the rest of Asia, but in Issan it is believed if a son and daughter are born as twins then they need to go through a wedding ceremony at a very young age. The concern is that if the wedding does not take place, then one or the other will die at an early age. This practice originated as a Khmer belief and came to Southern Thailand during land-exchange (another word for spoils of war).

This whole idea seemed fairly far-fetched to me until I realized my father had a twin sister and he was killed in the Vietnam War: he died at thirty-one.
    The Heart determines what is Possible by the Mind

Thanks

Re: When Brothers should marry their Sisters.

Died at thirty one. In Nam. Must have been a commissioned officer. Making the military a career. The good die young, they say... Happens. Doubt the thai way, or culture of reacting to the birth of twins means much. Regarding your dad's death. But, I dare say you've been involved in ops.

Thanks

It would be great if somebody has a picture of this kind of Wedding.

Thanks

Sounds like that would be necessary if you wanted a sure thing that your kids would be born idiots.

Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Died at thirty one. In Nam. Must have been a commissioned officer.
    Why would that be Lenss?, lots of guys in Nam that were that age and not an officer.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pclev View Post
    There was a wedding in the village recently that merits mentioning. The Groom and Bride were Brother and Sister.
    But will they be real husband and wife when they grow up, or is the wedding ceremony just a farce?
    Last edited by Marie; 03-02-08 at 11:07 AM. Reason: spelling

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an idiot from any direction.

Thanks

Just some of the old wives tales and it doesn't happen often as Thai are coming into the 20 century too, and it should not be sancioned by anyone that thinks the people should advance out of the dark ages.
    But there are those too that cheer those happenings, it gives solid reasons that they are better than others and far superior to the locals.

Plus that, Thai ceremony has no weight as to legal marriages.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FaranginPhetch View Post
    Just some of the old wives tales and it doesn't happen often as Thai are coming into the 20 century too,
    Most of the world is now in the 21st Century.

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks

David,
    we are talking about Thailand.
    And their ideas about such tomfoolery as what is being discussed in the OP and maybe getting them into the present time.

Thanks

The marriages are not real marriages for the long-term. It is something that is done to change luck or confuse bad ghost (I am not sure which).

Does anybody walk under ladders or make the cross-sign when a black cat crosses their past? Does anybody throw salt over their shoulder when it is spilt? Are people more inclined to find trouble during a Full Moon? Just because a country is "modern" does not mean it does not have superstitions or unique beliefs.

Thread Information