PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Getting to Isaan by Train. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Getting to Isaan by Train.

sad to hear there is a difference between the lines.

however - most tourists seem to take buses or planes. BAngkok-Chiang Mai night sleepers are maybe 30-50% farang, daytime trains less. planes between Bangkok and Chiang Mai are 50-50%. Thai buses are 90% Thai. those darned illegal coaches are 100% farang. very few farangs take the trouble to take the regular white-blue buses. and train tickets are not always available unless you buy well in advance, so that option is often out as well.

Thanks

I have taken the train only, to and from Surin to Bangkok. Loved it,as the view was always a treat.
    On my last trip out,to Bangkok, our train hit a cow! Felt it and knew something was wrong! Turns out the cow broke something on the train and we sat for 5 hours while repairs were done..still make my plane. mai-pen-rai
    Do you think the cow went unused??...I don't think so !

Thanks

I love to travel by train as the sights are much better. There is also a communal spirit in the carriages. I have seen mothers feeding their babies/kids, friends having a few rounds of Thai whiskey, teenagers playing the guitar and singing, and even total strangers chatting with each other. It has a homely feel to it.

Thanks

I tried taking an express train to Surin once. It was nice until the train ahead of mine jumped of the railway. LOL

An express train to Surat thani was nice too. Got a sleep cabin. Nice view and people.

Then from BKK to Khon Khaen. First time (and last time too ) i took a train to KK. When i bought a ticket, i didn't know which class to take. The staff didn't ask me which class i'd take. They just told me how much i'd have to pay. MM.. that was around 100 and something. Didn't know i got the 3rd class. Was shocked with the condition of the bogy. I was on the train with my japanese close friend. The train stopped a few times cuz they had to fix something. We left bkk in the afternoon and arrived KK around 8 or 9 am in the next morning... Every hour, one girl/guy would walk along the hallway selling stuff so it's impossible for me to fall asleep. I was almost dying trying to cease my moodiness. One guy tried to sit on my arm. He had been there trying to call for everybody's attention by bragging about his experience abroad with his farang bosses. My japanese friend told me when we got off from the train that the guy tried to brush his part on me when i didn't notice. I'd wanted to scream on that train... (i stll wanna scream just thinking about that trip..damn)
    Don't just love him, but show him

Thanks

i took a first class sleeper to udon thani took 16 hours broke down twice and the room was full of bugs, never again

Thanks

Seems like there are quite a lot of mixed reviews about the train service.
    I intend to take a train from Singapore to KL Malaysia all the way to Bangkok and to the north eastern regions like Yasothon. I wonder how long it would take me. I heard people say that from Singapore to Bangkok, it would take me 2.5 days. wow...

And i wonder if i need to switch trains along the way. everything is just so vague.

But my ultimate aim is to keep my cost as low as possible with a reasonable standard of comfort.

Any advice?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

For the 2.5 day journey from Singapore to Bangkok you would have to change trains 2 or 3 times depending on route. You can travel Singapore thru to Butterworth (Penang) and then on to Bangkok, or alternatively you could take the route where you change in Kuala Lumpur and again at Hat Yai in Thailand. To get to Isaan you then must change again in Bangkok.

This webpage has many details of how to do the journey: http://www.seat61.com/Malaysia.htm

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks

Thanks David. I am so excited and thrilled at the prospect of traveling to an unfamiliar region of Thailand by myself and by train.

The journey seems rather long but i really need to save up, may be planning to stay in Isaan for a few weeks if everything on my side goes smoothly.

In general, the trains are pretty safe right? My mum would be forbidding me to go if she deems traveling by train as dangerous.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

Thailand's trains have a far, far, better safety record than its long-distance buses.

Thanks

I understand that the aim is not just to get from Singapore to Bangkok but also to enjoy a train ride, but at the same time I am sure you could hunt down a discount plane ticket that is much cheaper than all this long train ride.

I haven't heard of a train accident, I only remember that after heavy rains, part of the northern line track simply collapsed and in the photos there was this train dangling in the air. I think no casualties but the line was closed for weeks.

Thread Information