PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Getting to Isaan by Train. - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: Getting to Isaan by Train.

I understand that the aim is not just to get from Singapore to Bangkok but also to enjoy a train ride, but at the same time I am sure you could hunt down a discount plane ticket that is much cheaper than all this long train ride.
    Thanks Betti for the suggestions.
    For my trip from Singapore to Bangkok, it will cost me around $70. Then I will take another train to Isaan area which will cost me less than $20 I think.

I tried searching for cheap air tickets on a number of occasions. The cheapest I can get per trip is about $120 from budget airlines. The airport tax is a killer. The fares are somehow getting higher compared to 3 months ago when I went to Bangkok.

Actually, I may intend to travel to other neighboring countries of Thailand after my Isaan trip, So I need to consider the amount of money I spend on the trip to Thailand.

Sigh... money... just hope i can earn enough to go and relax myself.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

Using my usual flights search engine (Kayak) the cheapest Singapore - Bangkok one-way flight I could find for a midweek in July was $160 using Swiss International Air. Thai Airways was charging $600 single on the same day!!!

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks

Air Asia Singapore to Bangkok on July 22 is 9.99 Singapore dollars, plus taxes etc, 78.99 dollars, that's 1838 baht or 58 Us dollars. that's just a random date I tried, payable now, you can book online any minute.

I'm sure that's cheaper than the train though I haven't added up ticket prices exactly. (Chiang Mai to BAngkok, 700 km, is 880 on a sleeper, 600-something on a special express, that's why I think it does add up all the way .)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

Singapore to Bangkok using three trains via Butterworth can be done in 2nd Class sleeper for 54 US dollars if you pay for the 2nd and 3rd trains in Malaysia. If you pay for all 3 in Singapore it is nearly double that.

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks

I get the cheap fares from jetstar asia airline. The cheapest air ticket costs around SGD$40. But with all the misc taxes, per trip can add up to around $120-$130.

The cheap fares are available because it is the rainy season in july, am i right or wrong?

Thanks

There are two ways to travel by train (East and West route) from Singapore via Malaysia to Thailand. It is better to transfer at Butterworth than Kota Bahru so you won't have to pass through those few dangerous Southern provinces.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johncjn View Post
    Seems like there are quite a lot of mixed reviews about the train service.
    I intend to take a train from Singapore to KL Malaysia all the way to Bangkok and to the north eastern regions like Yasothon. I wonder how long it would take me. I heard people say that from Singapore to Bangkok, it would take me 2.5 days. wow...

And i wonder if i need to switch trains along the way. everything is just so vague.

But my ultimate aim is to keep my cost as low as possible with a reasonable standard of comfort.

Any advice?
    Taking the train all the way from Singapore to Bangkok may be cheap but it will cost more time and give you a backache. You will also need to spend more money on food during the long journey.

I toyed with the same idea when I was trying to scrimp on my expenses to enjoy a longer time in Thailand. Depending on your budget, you may have to "suffer" for the entire journey if you do not have enough or are only prepared to spend very little. That means you may not be able to buy that favourite CD/VCD, dine at MacDonalds, visit interesting places like Phanom Rung, stay in an air-conditioned room or even give your Thai friends a treat.
    In case of any emergencies e.g. taking a wrong bus or friends asking you out for some drinks, you will find yourself hard-pressed if you do not factor in that extra bit of cash.

It is better to plan for a comfortable and realistic journey than to stretch your money to the limit in an extremely frugal trip. Why not shorten your trip and enjoy yourself or save up more before embarking on your journey?

- been there, done that....and suffered....

Thread Information