PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Wine-making equipment
    Thanks

Wine-making equipment

Does anyone know where or if you can find wine-making equipment in Bkk, such as demijohns, air locks and brewing yeast?

I just found a recipe for guava wine.

Guava Wine

Select ripe and sound fruits. Cut into quarters. To 1 part fruits, add 2 parts water. Boil until the fruits are soft. Strain and measure the extract. To every three (3) parts extract, add 1 part sugar. Stir and measure the extract. Cool. To every 15 to 15 liters, add one-tablespoon yeast. Place in demijohns to ferment. This will take from two weeks or longer. When the fermentation is completed, transfer into wine barrels and age for at least one year.

Thanks

Re: Wine-making equipment

Think I've found one in Banglamphu. I'll let you know what guava wine tastes like next year when it's ready.

Thanks

This cooking before hand is just strange to me, usually you just crush the fruit and set it with some sugar and water,it makes wine, cooking and adding extra yeast sounds kind of urban dwelling to me.

Thanks

wow Sparky i have not brewed beer or wine for many years but your mix sounds good!!! Please save me a glass Kob Khun

Thanks

Don't know about urban, i though that was the traditional way of making it, boiling the fruit, adding water and yeast then leaving for a few months. Then leaving it in the bottle for a few more months before it's ready to drink.
    Anyway, I'll put a bottle aside if anyone wants to try. You'll have to wait about a year tho.

Thanks

I have done this a few times and I don't think I have ever been unsatisfied. Y'all got me craving some more, I might have to go buy some berries and a few punching balloons tomorrow!

Thanks FiP for the tips and Sparky for the new recipe to add to my collection. I will have to find a few of mine and type 'em out for ya soon.

Thanks

Don't know about urban, i though that was the traditional way of making it, boiling the fruit
    Not at all, Elderberries, Cherries, Pears, Apples, Grapes, Any fresh fruit or berries is fine, crush em and put in a crock with sugar to work off for a few days, then strain off the pulp and put the juice in the 5 gallon water bottles with a balloon or air dam on top, let it work down and then bottle.
    Only time you have to add yeast is if the stuff was boiled or cooked and then the yeast is dead and you have to add more. Like if you have a bunch of juice from canned fruit that you used for something and had the juice left or buy fruit juice in bottles that has been pasteurized and want to make wine out of it.
    How do you think that deer or bears or such animals get drunk eating fallen pears or apples from the ground under trees, takes no added yeast unless the fruit has been boiled or pasteurized.
    Thats the reason that most prefer home made wine,, has less additives than commercial because you are not in a hurry to get it out there and sold.
    Anything that grows will make wine,, during the first SuperBowl game we had home brew beer and wine and pickled salmon, I made the beer and pickled salmon and a friend brought turnip wine he had made and was 2 year aged in the bottles and we had quite a party.

Thanks

Cheers Fip, never seen recipes without yeast before tho thought there had to be some. I might have a crack at papaya wine. Should go well with somtam.

Any recipies welcome Josh.

Thread Information