PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Transport Co to operate bus route to Laos
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

(BangkokPost.com) – The government owned Transport Company will soon launch a new bus service from Khon Kaen province to Vientiane, Laos with the first two runs scheduled for Feb 14, Valentine's Day.

According to the Transport Co, the new route was introduced for students from Laos entering Thailand to further their studies.

There are already plans to open more services to neighbouring countries such as Vietnam with buses leaving from Nakhon Phanom. That service is expected to open within the next two to three years.

Thanks

Re: Transport Co to operate bus route to Laos

good news - though there is, or 2 years ago there was a bus between Nong Khai and Vientiane - and the price:250 baht! for a 30km ride. still better than fighting with the taxi mafia on the Lao side of the border - they want 150 baht anyway.

there is good connection between Vientiane and Bangkok though. used to be regular Thai price.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

In a similar vein I read this earlier in the week.

Construction started in January 2007 on an extension to the railway from Nong Khai across the Friendship Bridge into Laos, to a new rail terminal In just the other side of the bridge at Tha Naleng. It is due to open on 18 April 2008. The line may be further extended the next dozen kilometres to the suburbs of Vientiane in due course.
    David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks

due course - a few decades?

Thanks

I think I saw the same article David was quoting. It spoke about a sleeper train from Vientiane that implied evening crossing were already happening.

There is currently a bus ride that can take you from Vientiane to Hanoi and on to Hue in Vietnam. The trip to Hanoi is less than 20.00 USD but the bus is usually full and the road is rough. The trip takes about 20 hours on a good day.

I took the bus from Poi Phet to Siam Reap in Cambodia a few years back. It would take a real emergency to get on another one for an extended ride. When I can catch trains from BKK to Hanoi (or Hue) is when I will travel up through there by ground. I do not think it will be more than 10-12 years before that happens.

I also read the French were trying to make a rail system across Southern Laos into Vietnam that would have ended in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon). A venture into completing that line may not be unrealistic in a decade or so.
    The Heart determines what is Possible by the Mind

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pclev View Post
    I think I saw the same article David was quoting. It spoke about a sleeper train from Vientiane that implied evening crossing were already happening.
    As far as I am aware there are actually no trains at all in Laos until this new line opens in April.

Quote Originally Posted by pclev View Post
    When I can catch trains from BKK to Hanoi (or Hue) is when I will travel up through there by ground. I do not think it will be more than 10-12 years before that happens.
    If there is any truth in this post I made a while back then it could be sooner than that.

David

Thanks

'the terminus of a line that will soon be able to take goods and travellers non-stop through Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia and Viet Nam, up to China's Yunnan Province."

The odd thing about this statement is that the most direct, and thus most economical route for goods to, say, Kunming (capital of Yunnan Province) would be Malaysia, Thailand and western Laos into Yunnan.
    Entrance into Cambodia and Vietnam is not neccessary at all-in fact such would be a massive diversion-strangely Laos is not mentioned at all-perhaps the speaker's grandiose schemes were better than his/her command of geography !

Thanks

If I recall the whole article, the above quote is only a line from it, the main intent was for a link between Singapore and Beijing with Yunnan being a branch of it. Much of the route for this exists with only a short gap from the Thai border which did exist in the past, and the connection from Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh (Saigon). Laos, on the other hand, doesn't have any railways so would be completely starting from the begining. Whether this is relevant I don't know.

Though the rail line in Viet Nam is currently single track and trains have to stop every two hours for the train in the opposite direction to pass. I travelled Saigon to Nha Trang a few years back on the overnight sleeper and the train seemed to spend half the night parked up waiting for delayed southbound trains to pass.

David

Thanks

Hmm. for the idea to take off with or without branch lines, it would have to be really profitable for China, who I guess would be a major contributor to the project. Maybe the project would by-pass Laos and go via Burma-possibly useful for moving oil into China?

Thanks

I believe one thing China would be looking at from Laos is natural resources: particularly timber. China is growing faster than they can manage new resources and will be looking towards their neighbors for a cheap fix until full management programs are in place. I do not see a line in Cambodia (or even a decent road) for many years but I fully expect the main rail line to include remote sections of Laos (South and South Central). When it will happen quickly is when China's growth is really hampered by lack of resources.
    The Heart determines what is Possible by the Mind

Thread Information