PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Word order for ˹ and
    Thanks

Word order for ˹ and

In my Linguaphone course I've learned that ˹ and come after classifier unlike all other numbers and question words to do with numbers, but now that I am in Thailand I keep seeing and hearing ˹ and being put before classifier like other numbers. Is this regional, or is my course oldfashioned (it is from the early '80s) and usage has changed. Or is it one of those what's strictly correct as opposed to what real people do things?

My course also says that ѹ is only for female speakers, which I've learned from countless song lyrics is not strictly correct.

Thanks

Re: Word order for ˹ and

Hi stigmv,

˹ can come before and after the classifier, and the difference between them is the same as "a" and "one".

For example, if I was to say ͹˹觤 (with ˹ before the classifier like other numbers) it would mean "I have one friend" and imply one and no more. If that's changed to ͹˹ it means "I have a friend", i.e. referring to one friend in particular but no longer implying the only friend.

Whether this distinction is important depends on the context though. They're often interchangeable - it doesn't make much difference if you say Ǵ˹觤Ѻ or ˹觢ǴѺ for instance.

is different though, as it can only come after the classifier.

Thanks

just to stress:
    and are two different words. , which you wrote has a rising tone due to the "mai juttawa" tone mark, and it means 'a short moment'

is the word you were looking for, which means 'alone' or 'single'

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stigmv View Post

My course also says that ѹ is only for female speakers, which I've learned from countless song lyrics is not strictly correct.
    Be careful! Songs are a bit different from everyday speech. In songs, it is typical for the man to refer to himself as ѹ and to his girlfriend/wife as . But I think you would get some strange looks from people if you went around calling yourself ѹ. In most situations you will want to use , as I'm sure you know.

DogoDon

P.S. So you're in Chiang Mai? How long have you been there? Good luck with the studies!

Thanks

Thank you Mike and roni. That's helpful information.

DogoDon; yes I know, I checked the dictionary and it said ѹ/ is for intimate use only and /س is for everyday use.

I've been in Chiang Mai 5 days so far and am planning to stay 6 months. I'm planning to go to school here.

Thanks

(spoken) = used for telling someone to wait.
    Don't just love him, but show him

Thread Information