PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Basic Travel in Isaan and More: Regular Updates
    Thanks

shocked Basic Travel in Isaan and More: Regular Updates

Just a taste of different parts of Isaan: how to get there, what to do, and some interesting stories for your entertainment. Each of the entries are links to more information; just point and left-click to see what it is about. Welcome to Isaan!!!

Road Trip:Traveling Ideas

What to do in Isaan and when:

Details of Events in Isaan:

Issan Provinces

Northern Isaan

Transportation Tips

Traveling by Train
    Traveling by Bus
    Flying from Bangkok to Isaan Cities
    Isaan Weather Forcast
    Hotels in Isaan

Life in the Village: Little things to know about customs, beliefs, and safety in Rural Issan.

Being "right" and still being wrong (Thailand/region specific)
    Don't sit on a Cobra (Southern Isaan)
    Keep your pretty head low (Thailand/region specific)
    When Brothers hould marry their Sisters (Southern Isaan)
    Ghost in the Doorway (Southern Isaan)
    Evil Spirits in Isaan (Si Sa Ket, Southern Issan)

Bed-time reading: Stories of life in Isaan

Christmas in Loei by Peabody (guest) 01/2004
    Bus Ride from Heck by Peabody (guest) 12/2004
    Sharing Moments in Isaan

Agricultural Development and Programs Government sponsored programs to assist in the Agricultural Development in Issan.

Cows/cattle farming and such in thailand

Food for Isaan

One of my Great-grandma's favorite dishes
    Keep Toads off Food Menu
    Last edited by pclev; 30-01-08 at 09:42 AM.
    The Heart determines what is Possible by the Mind

Thanks

Re: Thread Binder

Ooopss...I have to learn to keep reading before posting.

I think that many of these:
    Life in the Village: Little things to know about customs, beliefs, and safety in Rural Issan.

Being "right" and still being wrong.
    Don't sit on a Cobra
    In search of "Good Dragon"
    keep your pretty head low!
    Would best be suited in a general Thailand section. I think they are well written and share some great culture points, but I'm not sure they are specific to Isaan. ?? I'm wondering what your thoughts are on this?

I think "don't sit on a cobra" is a good Isaan story because it was Isaan lore/advice. However, "keep your head pretty low", and "being right" are certainly very general.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,318 Times in 3,446 Posts

A section for Isaan food posts?

Thanks

There are no others that really spring to mind to add to the abovementioned. Maybe it's too early and a stronger idea on how to do this will be clearer when the forum has been going a bit longer.
    I definitely like the idea of the ''retirement'' binder as it seems a lot of farrang do retire there and that might attract more members in the future.

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback.

It would be an interesting pursuit to document food from Isaan. I don't know if the general reader would have the stomach for some of it though. I guess a Laos food binder would be really interesting to build in that regards; I will add a topic line and see where it goes.

Sparky; I truly understand your point and I thought about that very thing prior to posting a rough draft. There seemed to be a couple of benefits to building earlier rather than later that made it make sense. One is to give an outline of general topics for readers that have the information but are not sure how the idea would fit in the Forum. If the other threads match the idea it could generate better participation in creating new threads with new ideas.

Thanks again
    The Heart determines what is Possible by the Mind

Thanks

I think Isan food would be a good one cos it's an area where the food is distinctly different from other parts of Thailand - tho Richard says the ''food'' part of the overall forum is the one that gets the least posts.

I just looked through a few pages on the thread "Isan highlights'' and found those great photos visionchaser posted. I hadn't looked before cos 111 posts seemed like too much of a chore to plough through. I wonder if it could be broken down smaller into a number of more distinct threads.

Thanks
    Just a taste of different parts of Isaan: how to get there, what to do, and some interesting stories for your entertainment. Each of the entries are links to more information; just point and left-click to see what it is about. Welcome to Isaan!!!

Road Trip:Traveling Ideas

What to do in Isaan and when:

Details of Events in Isaan:

Issan Provinces

Northern Isaan

Transportation Tips

Traveling by Train
    Traveling by Bus
    Flying from Bangkok to Isaan Cities
    Isaan Weather Forcast
    Hotels in Isaan

Being "right" and still being wrong (Thailand/region specific)
    Don't sit on a Cobra (Southern Isaan)
    Keep your pretty head low (Thailand/region specific)
    When Brothers hould marry their Sisters (Southern Isaan)
    Ghost in the Doorway (Southern Isaan)
    Evil Spirits in Isaan (Si Sa Ket, Southern Issan)

Bed-time reading: Stories of life in Isaan

Christmas in Loei by Peabody (guest) 01/2004
    Bus Ride from Heck by Peabody (guest) 12/2004
    Sharing Moments in Isaan

Agricultural Development and Programs Government sponsored programs to assist in the Agricultural Development in Issan.

Cows/cattle farming and such in thailand

Food for Isaan

One of my Great-grandma's favorite dishes
    Keep Toads off Food Menu

Thanks

Re: Basic Travel in Isaan and More: Regular Updates

I'm pretty new here. I'd sure like to see more posts with more ideas and personal experiences and thoughts. I would learn a lot from those who are more experienced.

I don't live in Thailand but I've lived in Chiang Mai twice and I spent the month of April 2013 touring Isaan in a rental car. I really enjoyed it. I do know three people via internet in the area and I visited them. One is a male expat in Khon Kaen, and two are Thai teachers in village schools in the greater Sisaket, Buriram, Surin area. They are females.

I was introduced to food that was much spicier than I would prefer, and offered some things I wasn't ready for yet such as insects. But I did thoroughly enjoy myself, and I enjoyed seeing what I assume is more of old style Thailand. I would surely go back. I would rate my acquaintances and their families as friendly.

I did make it on up North, going through Udon and up to the bridge, and over to Lampang and then back to Bangkok where I had rented the car.

I would really like some people, especially any who live there, to share opinions of people (or maybe more advice) and culture and anything else that comes to mind for a newbie.

Thanks in advance for anyone who makes the effort. I'm all ears, haha.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Isaan For This Useful Post:

KhunChin (28-06-13), mikeheart (15-07-13), Susana (10-06-13)

Thanks

Re: Basic Travel in Isaan and More: Regular Updates

please introduce yoursrlf in the relevant section if you have nit done so, thanks.

Thread Information