PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
What to see in Isan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

What to see in Isan

Helo everybody,lot of information here about Isan, thank you.
    I have some question maybe you can help me please?
    I went to Thailand before and I enjoyed very much.I went to Chiang Mai, Sukothai and Phuket already. Now in May I want to goto Isan in Thailand and also Laos. Go to Nong Khai from Bangkok and stop on way to see what isinteresting. Do you have some ideas please?What to see in Khorat or Khon Kaen? Or maybe interesting small town near? After, I plan go to Vientiane and in Laos down to PAkse, come back to Thailand to Ubon and slowly back to Bangkok. Do you think it is good idea? Is difficult to find idea and information about Isan.
    Before I also went to Angkor wat in Kambodia and I like that building style, I read there are same buildings in Thailand near border right? I went to Angkor already, you think Khmer building temple in Thailand beautiful too, or maybe too small and not very beutiful? Is it easy to go, or very far from city? Please help me how to go visit Khmer temple.
    Thankyou very much. Sorry my English is not good I understand ok but write not very good.

Thanks

Re: What to see in Isan

Quote Originally Posted by lostinasia View Post
    Helo everybody,lot of information here about Isan, thank you.
    I have some question maybe you can help me please?
    I went to Thailand before and I enjoyed very much.I went to Chiang Mai, Sukothai and Phuket already. Now in May I want to goto Isan in Thailand and also Laos. Go to Nong Khai from Bangkok and stop on way to see what isinteresting. Do you have some ideas please?What to see in Khorat or Khon Kaen? Or maybe interesting small town near? After, I plan go to Vientiane and in Laos down to PAkse, come back to Thailand to Ubon and slowly back to Bangkok. Do you think it is good idea? Is difficult to find idea and information about Isan.
    Before I also went to Angkor wat in Kambodia and I like that building style, I read there are same buildings in Thailand near border right? I went to Angkor already, you think Khmer building temple in Thailand beautiful too, or maybe too small and not very beutiful? Is it easy to go, or very far from city? Please help me how to go visit Khmer temple.
    Thankyou very much. Sorry my English is not good I understand ok but write not very good.

i've only been to issan for ONCE.. but my first thought when i stepped into issan was "oh god, how i wish i can read and speak thai fluently". that thought was due to the use of only thai language in most of the road signs and people around there doesnt speak much english. hope this little piece of information helps! =)

Thanks

Hi lostinasia, I understand what you mean because although there are some great places to visit in Isan it is true that it can be difficult to get to them.
    I went to an excellent Khmer ruin called Phnom Rung in Buri Ram last weekend, beautifully preserved and very impressive. But I drove there and it it is very far off the main roads so I don't know how regular tourists with no transport would get there.
    If you check back here in a few days, some other regulars may have some better ideas about how to get about to such excellent places.
    Last edited by Sparky; 31-01-08 at 01:09 AM.

Thanks

I went to an excellent Khmer ruin called Phnom Rung in Buri Ram last weekend week, beautifully preserved and very impressive. But I drove there and it it is very far off the main roads so I don't know how regular tourists with no transport would get there.
    I believe (and our Buriram experts can chime in) that tour groups go there pretty regularly. I went there in a hired van, but we saw many many such groups of tourists there.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

When I went to Prasat Hin Phanom Rung my brother-in-law drove us there (about 20 of us) in his pick-up truck. On that day we didn't see anyone else there apart from monks.

I think any visit to Phanom Rung should also take in the nearby but smaller Prasat Hin Muang Tum. This was more busier and across the road there was a small visitors centre that had a DVD presentation in English (but they were unable to get to work the day we went) and a small market.

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks

An ancient Khymer Temple in Nakhorn Ratchasima (Khorat) is the Phimai historical park in the town of Phimai, though I have never been there so can't tell you about it.

Also Sdok Kak Thom near the border crossing to Cambodia at Aranyaprathet, again it is somewhere that I haven't been.

David

Thanks

When I went to Prasat Hin Phanom Rung my brother-in-law drove us there (about 20 of us) in his pick-up truck. On that day we didn't see anyone else there apart from monks.
    You must have been there on a lucky day -- or I was there on an unlucky day. I went and it was much like disneyland! Don't get me wrong...the site is breathtaking and much worth a visit...

lostinasia: Now in May I want to goto Isan in Thailand and also Laos. Go to Nong Khai from Bangkok and stop on way to see what isinteresting. Do you have some ideas please?
    What kind of things are you looking to visit/see? cultural? historical? quirky? natural?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pailin View Post
    You must have been there on a lucky day -- or I was there on an unlucky day. I went and it was much like disneyland! Don't get me wrong...the site is breathtaking and much worth a visit...
    It was a lovely late December Monday. Whilst I don't recall anyone other than our group and a few monks I have just looked through photographs taken that day and found evidence of at least 4 other people.

David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC200191.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	1364  

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lostinasia View Post
    If you like Angkor Wat, you will like Phanom Rung. Phanom Rung is much smaller although the architecture is the same. There are a few similar ruins in the vicinity to explore as well.

Getting there is a big headache. There is no direct bus heading there. Unless you are conversant in Thai, it might be better if you go with a tour group or book private transport. That will really save time.

David, thanks for sharing the photograph.
    Phimai is a very small version of Phanom Rung. There is not much to see there although they do have a small museum within the compound. I would like to visit Aranyaprathet and cross over to see the ruins in Cambodia as a day trip. But it sounds tricky as I do not drive.

Thanks

Thank you everybody. I am so happy you replyed.

> y2long: use of only thai language in most of the road signs and people around there doesnt speak much english. hope this little piece of information helps! =)

This scary me! Maybe if I ask reception in hotel, they can write things Thai for me and I can show paper to taxi driver?

> Sparky: I went to an excellent Khmer ruin called Phnom Rung in Buri Ram last weekend week, beautifully preserved and very impressive. But I drove there and it it is very far off the main roads so I don't know how regular tourists with no transport would get there.

Thank you, I will check this place in the internet.
    Driving is safe? I can drive well but I am scare if many cars.
    You say road signs only Thai right? So I can lose myself easy? Or maybe tourist place, they put English signs too?

> Pailin: tour groups go there pretty regularly. I went there in a hired van, but we saw many many such groups of tourists there.

Useful information. My problem, I don't like to go in groups. Because group wants to finish usually quicker than I. I like to take picture for long times.

> David: An ancient Khymer Temple in Nakhorn Ratchasima (Khorat) is the Phimai historical park in the town of Phimai, though I have never been there so can't tell you about it.

Thank you. Is it near Khorat?
    Thank you for the pictures. Very nice to see. How big is the area, how many hours look everything?

> Pailin What kind of things are you looking to visit/see? cultural? historical? quirky? natural?

Sorry I did not say about me. I enjoy culture. I love Chiang Mai for example. I can not climb mountain but like the nature. (I am lazy not old. Also difficult climb in hot.) Maybe national park no mountain. Or mountain road goes up, same Doi Intanon? You have idea maybe about beutiful temples and chedi?
    Thank you.

> Yeows: thank you to explain about building architecture.
    In Prasat Hin Phanom Rung, they have same funny lion animal same in Angkor Wat everywhere? I like that. Or have big snake Naga same in North Thailand?

About food in Isan, I know lap and papaya salad. I can not eat very strong hot food. You have idea please about food to eat? How to say name in Thai and English name too.

One question more, you have favourite place to see Mekong river? I know it is long river, you know maybe beutiful place to look near river? Is safe to swim?

Thank you everybody very much. You help very much.

Thread Information