PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Hua Hin or Pattaya/Jomtien?
    hello!
    I'm going to Bangkok with some friends in a few days, and we would like to go to a beach during our stay. However, we cannot go too far away from Bangkok as our trip is fairly short, and we're on student (ie low) budget. I've heard about two options that both sound good, Pattaya and Hoa Hin, but which one is the better one? I hope someone will be able to give me some recommendations and also, if you could tell me approximate prices for going to these places, I would be really happy.
    Thank you!

Maria

Thanks

so happy!

Hi, Maria.
    If you like to go to Pattaya.
    Take Skytrain to Ekkamai
    (Sukhumvit soi 63). Walk to Eastern Bus Station and take local bus to Pattaya, cost only ~100 Baht. It takes ~ 2 hours to get there. I usually go there about 6 or 7 clock AM.
    Those busses go all day so don't worry about scheludes. Then take "pick up" taxi from Pattaya bus station to Beach Road, only 10 Baht. Motor cycle taxi is about 40 Baht (very quick).

Unfortunedly can't say nothing about Hoa Hin. I usually spent my time at northern Thailand....

Hope this help you,

Mukdahan

Thanks
    What do you mean with low budget? In Thailand you can find a room from 2-3$ a day...Is this what you want?

Hua Hin and Pattaya are very very touristic...
    I guess Koh Samet would be more appropriate for a basic, budget trave. Unfortunately it is a little bit more time consuming to get on this Island.

Support our friends at PAKNAM and save money, buy your books and click on: http://www.buythaibooks.com

Thanks
    Although Hua Hin maybe a bit touristy, in its vicinity there are several places where one can find fairly unknown beaches. Guest House prices start here from 150 baht and eating at roadside kitchens from 20 baht.

sarsezz Guest
    thanks for your replies!
    I think we'll go to Jomtien, as I've heard the beach there is quite nice. btw, i think that we'll only take a day trip there, and then return to bangkok at night. how often do the buses go from pattaya to bkk, and when does the latest one leave?
    when talking about low budget, i mean like ualan said, but it'll be easy to find in khao san road i guess. ?
    I'm so excited now though.. I'm leaving in like 12 hrs! It's gonna be great, but, i'm so stupid and promised all my friends to buy them thai pants.. I'll end up buying like 25 or something ?
    luv
    Maria (now registered as sarsezz)

Thanks

Gor Gai

Buses from Bangkok to Pattaya leave from Ekamai bus station. Air con bus no 511 from Khao Sarn area will take you there. They go regularly from early morning (I think from 6.00) till late night (22.00, guess again) within 30-40 minutes intervals. Just see that you buy a ticket to an air con bus. 2-2,5 hours should see you in Pattaya and then you need to take a "soong thaew" bus to Jomtien. The price for this I do not know. The bus from BKK to PTA is around 100 baht. Soong Thaew to Jomtien could be about the same.

Thanks
    We went down to Hua Hin last month by renting a car and driver from Bangkok and it cost 2500 baht. When I asked at the hotel what the price would be for a car back to Bangkok they said 4000 baht so we rang the guy who drove us down and he came and picked us up.

Hua Hin was quite lovely actually. One of the highlights was the spectacular sunrise over the Gulf of Siam at 6am: Absolutely beautiful.
    ALthough there are a lot of tourists there-mostly older Europeans- it didn't have anywhere near the sleaze factor that you apparently can get in Pattaya.
    The King also has a residence there I am told.
    Follow me on Twitter. I mostly tweet about hotels and resorts in Thailand. |
    Check out my Thailand Tumblr Photo blog

Thread Information