Samak optimistic to last two terms

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej said on Wednesday that he would finalise his People Power Party quotas for ministerial positions in the afternoon before a final meeing on Thursday to complete the Cabinet line-up.

Since this is a coalition government, it takes time to allocate seats but we should have the new Cabinet by tomorrow," he said.

Samak was upbeat that his Cabinet would be acceptable to the public and that his leadership would last upto two terms.

"Even Chart Thai Party chief adviser Sanan Kachornprasart told me that I should serve to the best of my ability as this is the last stretch of my career - a short period would be four years and a long one for eight years," he said.

In related development, Chart Thai Party leader Banharn Silapa-archa said his party almost completed lining up its five Cabinet seats with only one position left.

"I have yet to come up with one more name but this is not a problem," he said, refusing to identify which position to fill.

Chart Thai Party deputy secretary general Noppadol Pollasen said he failed to secure the position of deputy interior minister because of his lack of seniority and not his education credentials as speculated.

"I am a graduate with a Bachelor's degree certified by the Education Ministry, this is not the problem though my party superiors asked me to wait for my turn as there are many qualified and senior candidates from my party for the job," he said.

The Nation