PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
North-eastern thailand highlights
Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    If you have visited this region, please post your highlights and share with others.

Amnat Charoen, Buri Ram, Chaiyaphum, Kalasin, Khon Kaen, Loei, Maha Sarakham, Mukdahan, Nakhon Ratchasima, Nakhon Phanom, Nong Bua Lam Phu, Nong Khai, Roi Et, Sakon Nakhon, Si Sa Ket, Surin, Ubon Ratchathani, Udon Thani, Yasothon.)

Please don't post any questions here.

Visit Thailand Guidebook for more information about this region.

Please post below the highlights of your holiday in our country.
    Click on "add reply"

To see what I feel is the "real" Thailand, you must visit areas outside of Bangkok and the other commonly known cities. I go to Esarn when I visit as my wife and I own a home there and most of her family lives there. Our home is near Wat Prang Ku in Chaiyaphum. My in-laws live at Ban Sakai Nam which is a few kilometers from Chaiyaphum. I have the privilege of seeing how people in Thailand really live and it is very interesting to a farang. We also visit Nong Khai often, it is very different from Bangkok. The Mekong River in this area is very beautiful and the Friendship Bridge is an interesting thing to see and when the water is low we swim there. I do speak Thai, but as you know, Lao is spoken in the Northeast so I still have to struggle to communicate. It is very fun to learn a new language though. I have a great respect and admiration for your King and Royal Family. I wish we had someone in my country like The King. If you have an interest in Buddhism or are a practicing Buddhist then Thailand is a must to visit as the Wats are awesome and are everywhere. My favorite thing about Thailand is it's people. Thai's are the most friendly and kind people I have ever been around! I strongly suggest that anyone who has thought about visiting Thailand should go as soon as possible and see what you have been missing!!

thumbs up

I have visited Thailand many times and have come across one very nice restauarant in Lom Sak (a town which is about 50km north of Phetchabun city). This is the restaurant Duang Ta, which is located on Thanon Vagee, directly one-half block into the city centre from the main bus stop in Lom Sak. It is run by a very friendly family (mother Duang, father Ekkaphom, and son Ekkarak nickname Tum). They have a good menu, serve simple but authentic Thai and good western menu, at reasonable prices (20-30 baht). They speak English well. This is a favorite restaurant with the locals (the police eat there frequently and also frequently order take away for the station). Restuarant Duang Ta was the first restaurant in Lom Sak district and Phetchabun province to be awarded the "Clean Food, Good Taste" designation by the governor of Phetchabun. Try it, you will like it very much -- both the food and the big smiles of the owners!

Thanks
    I've been to Khon Kaen, Nakhon Ratchasima, Nong Khai and Udon Thani, though didn't get to spend all that much time in any of them. It's certainly the least touristed area of Thailand, I only saw 1 or so other foreigner a day in most areas (except in Nong Khai) - a good area for people who complain that all of Thailand is overtouristed. Being relatively untouristed as it is has it's pros and cons, it's cheap and I found the people were noticeably more friendly than other regions. There was none of the scams and hassles of Bangkok and other tourist centers, the whole area seems to have a kind of slow laid-back pace. Isaan food like som tam and laap is generally a bit too hot and spicy for me, I'm like the gai yaang khao nieow though. I liked Nong Khai, watching the sunset over the Mekong is a great experience.

On the other hand though, if you can't speak Thai it's can be quite challenging region to travel through. As Clint says Lao is the first language in some areas, but luckily everyone seems to understand the 'paasaa glaang' standard Thai as well.

arsira Guest
    i had been to buriram to visit the phanom rung ruins.i took a night bus(i would suggest takin a non aircon as travel in night is already very cold) from chanthaburi at about 11pm and reaches the highway going to buriram at 5am .my friend and i sat at the bus stop which was just outside a police checkpoint.the police was kind enough to wake up switch on the tv and had a little chat with us.we hire 2 motorsai taxi to bring us in to the ruins about few km inside from the main road ban ta phet(highway 2117) .remember to bring extra clothes as morning can be chilling and go in the morning to avoid tourist also the morning sun will be very beautiful as a background photo.there are food stalls just outside the ruins(abt 25 bht for phat prik kaeng mo and also kao phat gai) ,the fees to pay for foriegn tourist(200bht) are very different from thai tourist(40bht) (but i got in paying thai price maybe because i from another asia country so they thought i 'm a thai-chinese).

laoman Guest
    I went to a small village next to Udon Thani in February 2000. Here U can check out some pics from this trip. The page is in Norwegian but the comments are in English. Just hit the thumbnails to see a larger picture. Enjoy!

See Pictures

I was amazed to find how much there was too see in the Khon Kaen area. The Ubolrat dam completely full during my last visit and at times on the road to Non Sang, the water water waslapping the highway. Khon Kaen has a good selection of hotels, especially those in the 5 star rating.The airport is small but efficient and well served by Thai Airways. The local roads are undergoing a widespread resurfacing plan and the people are friendly, helpful with a sense of humour.

maipenrai Guest
    I stayed in Nongkhai for about 4 months. It is a great place with friendly people and welcoming smiles. But what place in Thailand doesn't? There is a festival every week and the river makes these events even more incredible to witness. I'll never forget letting a Khatong (a banana leaf boat that I made) float down the Mekong River for the Roy Khatong festival. Or when we lit a small hot air balloon and let it drift across and over into Laos. I forget the name of the balloon and the festival. Nongkhai is a wonderful town and truly reflects what Thailand is all about. Bangkok, Phuket, and other tourist cities are far too westernized. You need to visit the smaller towns to truly appreciate the culture and the people.

I am looking forward to going back and visiting my friends or even making it my 2nd home. Just need some money now.

Maipenrai

Thanks
    Hmm the Northeast...

Well, I really don't want to say anything here that hasn't already been said, but here's something that might be noteworthy.

Just outside of Khon Kaen (I think) there's a nature park/mountain called Phu Kradung. Even though I only visited for three days, it was probably some of the funnest days I'd ever had in Thailand!

To start off with, it's really not for the faint of heart - if you're having heart or lung problems, I'd suggest against going here, because it's a 10 km vertical walk up and it's about a 45 to 60 degree incline for 80% of the way! But you can buy some water along the way to rest up a bit before tackling the next leg of the mountain. Once you're at the top, there's some 30 km of hiking trails and if you can decipher the map correctly, there's a point on the mountain which boasts the most beautiful sunset in Thailand.

There also appear to be some things that have been there for a great many years. Rumor has it (I confirmed it three years ago, but it might have already changed) that about 2 km up the mountain, there's a guy with a peg leg and a really cute girl named 'Fon.' And in the main camp of the mountain (at the very top, by the bungalows) there's still a very fat deer who will let only certain people ride her. I wasn't so lucky and was chased for about thirty metres, but hey - I don't want to ride something that refuses to be ridden!

Jonny

PS - The ascent takes about 2 hours if you're in reasonably good shape. If you're a crazy falang, the descent is the most fun part! We ran down the whole way and it took only about 30 minutes with minor scrapes and bruises.

Thanks

thumbs up

Hi,
    If you go NE-Thailand you should visit Wat Nong Pho.
    It's place that everyone who is traveling in Thailand, should see.
    When you see it, you know why.....

Take Care,

Mukdahan

Thread Information