PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Thai life
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thai life

Notice!

i'm an exchange student to thailand and i can say for sure: thailand sucks!!! at least for western teenagers.
    i cannot say i didnt learn a lot here, but if u wanna live in thailand to have fun forget it!!!
    teenagers here act like children, and so they are. Their family treat them like childrem they are no able to do anything by themselves and they think as so.

they are forbiden to do a lot of things at school, as hold hands with someone from the other gender, dont need to talk about hugging or kissing.
    teachers are like gods! they never ask or desagree with the teachers.

they have no idea about the world. The world for them is thailand and the USA. they love anything that come from this country, dont care if it's good or not! if there is a logo "made in america" u can be sure it's famous in thailand and thai people love it.
    it's not difficult u find people that love hitler coz they ve no idea about history! they just thing he was a weird guy who loved his country and fought for it. no one study to know he killed milion of people.

they are also extremaly racist! it's unbelieveble sometimes.

SO, if u wanna come to thailand to be an exchange student be ready to be a baby and try to have some foreigner friends! and u can be sure u will learn a lot of things here. it's on the difficult times that we can learn right??
    1 year in thailand and u are ready to live anywhere in the world
    good luck

Thanks

with love

Sheesh that was very meaningful!!! In my own perspective people over there doesn't have much freedom as we do in the U.S. It doesn't matter if they don't have much knowledge about the world. All I know is that they are human beings as we are and they should have respect as human beings. Although some of them are very very rude It's OK though. I basicly see it as United States-Has no problem with revealing their sexual feelings like dressing sluting, one night stands, and etc. Thailand-Are quite shy with a lot of respect to people and strong beliefs. Bye Mr. Meanie!!

t2xg Guest

Thanks
    HI! What a bold thing to say... such a shame you didn't leave a name... xxxx isn't a very descriptive one.

I lived in Thailand as an exchange student, and I can understand a lot of your comments... I don't think that they were to be shunned - this type of perspective isn't to be brushed under the carpet. If someone has a problem with something we should always recognize it and try to understand why...

for instance here:

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]
    they have no idea about the world. The world for them is thailand and the USA. they love anything that come from this country, dont care if it's good or not! if there is a logo "made in america" u can be sure it's famous in thailand and thai people love it.
    Let me guess,... Did someone ask you if you loved Michael Jackson? I got asked that a lot... and when I would squish up my nose and go "eeeew NO!" every thai kid would shrink away in horror that someone American acutally didn't enjoy the sweet music of MJ freak of nature.

yeah... this statement isn't that off.. Thais do love America. But that's not so bad! We have bad food and a lot of angry postmen.

Quote[/b] ]
    it's not difficult u find people that love hitler coz they ve no idea about history! they just thing he was a weird guy who loved his country and fought for it. no one study to know he killed milion of people.
    Holy Moley!!! You noticed that too!?! I kid you not - had a teacher in the high school I went to that bought glasses just like hitlers, and would wear swastikas all of the time. It was unsettling to say the least. But then I just realized that Thai's don't really have a lot of Jews around to protest.

Quote[/b] ]
    they are also extremaly racist! it's unbelieveble sometimes.
    ahh like those whites! they all hate blacks didn't you know?
    (and vice versa)

Quote[/b] ]
    1 year in thailand and u are ready to live anywhere in the world
    I disagree... Thailand is at least warm.

delawang Guest
    I ran into an exchange student from Germany last year who was ending a one year stay in a suburb of Indianapolis, Indiana. She has some very uncomplimentary things to say about American teenagers, including “American teenagers act like children” and “they have no idea about the world.”

You guys that travel halfway around the world and go to high school in a foreign country are studs. No one can compare with you. Next to you, other people are children and have no idea about the world.

XXXX, say what you want about Thailand, the US or any other place. You’ve earned it.

Lada Guest
    To start, you had no problem trashing thailand but you don't leave a name. Now who's childish?
    I am finishing my year in Thaialnd and will go home next month. I am looking forward to going home and I agree with everything you had said about Thailand but honestly I think you're more childish than how we see thai teenagers. Like you, I grew up in a western world with nothing but freedom and then I entered their world. But aside from all the bad things you mentioned you did not mention any good things. I had many great experiences here and because i am used to a different way I love Thailand but i will never live here. Its not for me. And you neither. But many people loved living here for a year and there are many people looking forward coming here in two months and there are losers like you trashing the country because you are used to a different way. Thailand is home to so many people so why not show a little bit of respect. There is no way that you could tell me you did not even have onegood experience here. And you didn't even bother to write about it. You are more of a child than them who needs a lot of growing up to do.
    For any students coming, I won't lie. Evberyhting this guy said is true but there are many great things to experience in Thaialnd so don't come here with any bad expectations.

Vali Guest
    Hmm, here's what I think: you guys must have been placed in a fairly rural place. Because Thais that have to worry about farming and getting by with everyday life out in the country probably won't have the time or resources to dedicate to researching world history.

Secondly, swastikas don't always equate to Nazism. The swastika was actually first a Hindu symbol, and with all of the influences that the Indians have had on Thailand (bring Buddhism, many words out of sanskrit, etc) you see it places and it doesn't represent a symbol of the Nazi party.

Of course Thailand does have stricter rules on teenagers. But what did you expect when you applied to be an exchange student? I mean, if you expected all social conditions to be the same as the US and enjoy the same freedoms that you did as an American teen, then why did you want to go abroad in the first place?

And I agree with the other exchange student, in that a few negative experiences, which you obviously had, shouldn't give you such a horrendous view on all of Thailand and all Thai people! I can't imagine you not having any positive experiences, I think you may be looking at things with too negative of an attitude.

Well good luck, if you, Mr/Ms Anonymous, ever return to read this... I hope you look at life and your experiences with a more positive attitude in the future. I'm sure you'll enjoy it more that way!

Thanks

Gor Gai

Quote[/b] ]You guys that travel halfway around the world and go to high school in a foreign country are studs. No one can compare with you. Next to you, other people are children and have no idea about the world.
    LOL, Delawang, I can hear a bit of sarcastic undertone in that statement, am I correct?

If not, then I think you overstate that experience a little bit. Just traveling to another country, going to school there doesn't automatically grant maturity nor experience. I know a few people who traveled to a number of countries, but when they came back, they did not become any more mature.... they might as well could have spent that time in their backyard, that would have been just as productive! I got the impression this XXXX guy is just like that.

This reminds me of the farang "Ajarns" who, after years of being in Thailand, still barely could utter "sawatdee" but they were experts in finding the cheapest go-go bars in Nana Plaza. Talk about experience!

Anyway, this is not to say that all internationals are like that. There are good and bad in any group of people. Most international students I know are responsible, and take their time to know the culture and the people of the country they got into, and accept the differences. That is the way to get real, valuable experiences, in my opinion. How do I know? I am one of these "world travelers"...

delawang Guest

talking

Quote[/b] (Seeker @ May 29 2003,08:07)]
    Quote[/b] ]You guys that travel halfway around the world and go to high school in a foreign country are studs. No one can compare with you. Next to you, other people are children and have no idea about the world.
    LOL, Delawang, I can hear a bit of sarcastic undertone in that statement, am I correct?
    Actually, I was serious :-)

High school is not an easy period of life and it takes a special person to sign up for doing it in another country. XXXX may not have been the picture of maturity when he made that post, but I am willing to cut him a lot of slack because I respect what he has been through. I think when he gets home and has a chance to think about it, he will have additional things to say about Thailand and many years from now he will see even more. I don’t want to make too many assumptions about Mr. XXXX from one angry post.

As for the farang English teachers you refer to, I am almost without words. The only thing that comes to mind is English saying “You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make him drink.” They are in Thailand and could learn so much, but they are not thirsty.

I am curious, Seeker. Where have you traveled and what have you seen?

annabee Guest

Oopsie...

dear "xxxx" ( could u be a lil more original )

After reading your post the only feelings I had was I hope that after the 'exchange' is over that of all the things you learnt ...number one being that your obvioulsy not cut out to be a exchange student..exchanges are about "exchanges"..going to another country and learning about that country..its about open mindness and the willingness to accept things that are different from your own lifestyle..IT is NOT for people such as your self who cant take the good with the bad..Thailand is no different from anyother country..it has its taboos and social norms that not everybody will agree with. But thats part of wat you where supposed to be there to learn isnt it? To gain not only a appreciation of another culture but a greater appreciation of your own. I dunno bout the rest of you but to me this is wat an "exchange student" means.
    Nobody ever said Thailand was a bed or roses...You just have to look at it with a sense of humor and not be so close minded..its when you close your eyes and your mind to the unexpected that you fail to see the beauty in things.
    You should cherish your exchange as something that taught you obviously nothing about thailand but alot about who you are.
    For wat its worth I hope you enjoy the rest your stay in Thailand...

Thread Information