PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 110
Life with a Thai wife
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Life with a Thai wife

Im often asked whats it like to have a thai wife by friends and foes.

For some reason most people expect our conversation to be very mudane and simple. Different backgrounds, different language, different etc.

I usually tell them thats exactly how we keep our conversations and thats the truth.

The thing is

If you would check on mr and mrs Smith and listen to what they have to say you soon realize they usually speak about their daily life. Whats for dinner, who pick up the kids, who buy groceries, whats up this weekend, whats on TV, is something broken in the house again, are kids ok in school?

The deeper conversations are usually along the lines of. I saw something in the news that made me upset, when I was a kid I behaved better then todays, gas is too expensive, my boss is an ass, some friend is dating the wrong girl, someone old just died, where are we going this holliday.

Was it the thais who coined the "same same but different" phrase?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,930 Times in 1,180 Posts

Re: Life with a thai wife

Quote Originally Posted by Sved View Post
    Maybe, but I first came across the "same same but different" phrase whilst I was in Viet Nam a few years back.

David
    My new travel blog: https://www.weekender.blog/

Thanks

ความเหมือนที่แตกต่าง (kwaam mĕuan têe dtàek dtàang) - similarity which is different.

Thanks

Im often asked whats it like to have a thai wife by friends and foes.

For some reason most people expect our conversation to be very mudane and simple. Different backgrounds, different language, different etc.

I usually tell them thats exactly how we keep our conversations and thats the truth.

The thing is

If you would check on mr and mrs Smith and listen to what they have to say you soon realize they usually speak about their daily life. Whats for dinner, who pick up the kids, who buy groceries, whats up this weekend, whats on TV, is something broken in the house again, are kids ok in school?

The deeper conversations are usually along the lines of. I saw something in the news that made me upset, when I was a kid I behaved better then todays, gas is too expensive, my boss is an ass, some friend is dating the wrong girl, someone old just died, where are we going this holliday.

i believe this is more of an Asian culture kind of thing..

Thanks

Who has been married for a while and still have deep conversations? My wife and I have been married for 9 yrs and it’s the normal “what did you do today…….. blaa blaa gossip”. We are great friends, but if she insisted in having deep meaningful conversations everyday, I would shove #2 pencils through my eardrums!

Same, same but different …….classic!

Thanks

Re: Life with a Thai wife

I helped teach my thai girlfriend english and loved it, lots of laughs

Thanks

Good Lord!!!! My wife's and I conversations are any thing but mundane and simple! For the most part there's a lot of intellectual stimulation on both sides, albeit the vocabulary used is constrained.

On a very superficial level it is "same, same", but on a deeper level it is more fulfilling and rewarding than I can put to words. I've certainly developed a better relationship with my farang family due to my wife's influence. There is a different Perspective to the world I've gained access to. Wouldn't change fro a million bucks.
    "It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you can only do a little." Sydney Smith

May all beings be happy, may all beings have peace.

Thanks

I know what you are saying Bassi......... good luck

Thanks

I have been married to my Thai wife and lived with her for 16 years and we have indepth conversations in Thai about everything from the Thai Government,World news issues,Employment laws,Redundancy laws,Redundancy Payment entitlement in the UK,to the simpler what is for Dinner today.
    If my relationship had not real conversation then in would not have lasted so long.I am glad that 16 years ago I decided to learn Thai and my relationship and life has been greatly enhanced by that decision.
    As for the "same same but different" phrase I have only ever heard it said by Bar girls in the tourist areas and I have not been in those areas for a long,long time.
    Last edited by mat; 03-04-08 at 02:02 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,854 Posts

Will you kindly explain the meaning of the phrase for the benefit of the uninitiated. Thanks!

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an idiot from any direction.

Thread Information